• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 Wiki - General Discussion

Started by dedgren, February 04, 2009, 11:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatevermind

Back sometime last year, I started an overhaul of the building-related categories. The original intent was clear, but the categories and structure had been applied haphazardly over the years - so I rearranged all that and added new categories/articles as needed to get things more organized. However, that mostly applied to the growables and getting all their categories sorted out.

Thanks to jdenm8's recent work, there's now enough civic/utility/etc. buildings to better flush out the categories on their end, and that's what I've done - essentially incorporating his recent category/article structure into the greater umbrella categories, and creating their custom counterparts. So when you see my bazillion changes today, it was just implementing the more complete structure across the many pages/categories involved. I also expanded the definitions in the Categories: Buildings, Custom Buildings, and Maxis Buildings so that anyone should be able to find the right categories for any new articles. The tileset categories and wealth categories were pretty much already done last year, so there weren't many changes with those.

By this point, just about every type of building out there should have a spot (or a couple spots if it happens to be RCI and/or growable) within the Wiki structure - which hopefully will make it easier to keep adding more buildings while keeping things organized. Once you get down below the immediate subcategories of Category:Buildings there are some more new categories that will probably need to be added as relevant articles get written (i.e. more ploppable wealth categories), but they should simply take the same form/purpose as existing parallel categories at the same level.

@jdenm8 - I tried to avoid making any changes to the recent articles/categories/navboxes you've been creating - I just created ones that had been named but not made, and plugged the whole section into the Buildings/Maxis Buildings categories. I don't think there were any negative side effects to all this, so I apologize if anything was misplaced in the process. I didn't really know what the intent of the Civic Buildings and Utility Buildings categories were - whether they were to include custom and Maxis work, or just Maxis, or were just for navbox use - so after some back and forth I stuck them in the Maxis Buildings category. If this was incorrect, just move them over to whichever category you had intended them to belong to.

jdenm8

Quote from: whatevermind on April 14, 2013, 06:40:15 PMI didn't really know what the intent of the Civic Buildings and Utility Buildings categories were - whether they were to include custom and Maxis work, or just Maxis, or were just for navbox use - so after some back and forth I stuck them in the Maxis Buildings category.

They were meant as a container for the Maxis Civic and Utility buildings, you're fine there.  :thumbsup:

I'll have a closer look over the changes and tell you what I think.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

speeder

Why noone updates the wiki anymore?

It is not just outdated, it is grossly outdated, for example it is missing lots of information that the NAM team found out.

Some information is also outright wrong.

Tarkus

It does get updated, but very, very slowly, and most of the attention has been devoted to a few specific spots.  It's kind of a forgotten corner of the site.  At present, editing privileges are generally available to any knowledgeable and reputable member who asks.  There are no real plans to fully open editing rights back up to a true "Wiki" setup, however, mainly due to past experience, and seeing how Simtropolis quickly pulled the plug on their Wiki, which became overrun by spambots.

-Alex

nos.17

I was looking into adding some items on the Wiki, but I have been unable to save any changes I make. On the &action=submit, Firefox simply shows a blank page, and Edge returns a 500 error.

Any ideas for what is going on?

Tarkus

Looks like it may have been a temporary blip.  I noticed you had some changes on the Recent list, and I was just able to edit now without issue.

Also, while we haven't officially promoted it, registration for the Wiki did re-open when I assumed ownership and moved the site to its current server in mid-2019.  Editing is open to any registered user.  Note that if you had an account prior to mid-2019, it did not survive the move, and you will need to re-register. 

The version of the Wiki that existed on the old server was MediaWiki 1.13 from 2008, and it was still running on PHP 5.2.  There was actually no clean upgrade path between MediaWiki 1.13 and more recent 1.3x releases, in large part due to the fact that the new server is on PHP 7.2 FastCGI.  This and the age of the old database posed significant technical difficulties in moving the Wiki onto the new server, and required starting with a clean database, and manually exporting articles and media from the old Wiki and importing them onto the new one.

-Alex

nos.17

Quote from: Tarkus on March 21, 2021, 07:44:43 AMLooks like it may have been a temporary blip.  I noticed you had some changes on the Recent list, and I was just able to edit now without issue.

Thanks!  :)

I keep running into issues. I was able to create this page, and continued adding content until it failed. It first failed when trying to add in a reference, and also fails when adding anything in like {{reflist}}. For example, the page will not save if this is added:

All other breakpoints are "blended" and colors will automatically be created for all values in between.<ref name="ColorRamp">[https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/26475-no-jobs-and-abandonment-due-to-commute-time/?do=findComment&comment=1724169], Color Ramp Properties.</ref> See example below for further explanation.

As far as I can tell according to the Cheatsheet that's the correct syntax, but there's gotta be something else going on. Thanks for your help.