• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

True Earth

Started by korver, May 04, 2016, 08:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badsim

Hi korver ,

Absolutely serious work , as usual , that's hard to comment each of your updates with all superlatives they deserve and I'm not from a generation for which to press a « like » button is an automatism ,  ::) ,  but yeah , I « Over-like » all that you're doing ... with a preference indeed your rural/nature scenes and old historical city centers .

It has been a rich and inspiring year admiring your recreations , wish you the best and the same creativity for 2018  .

&apls &apls &apls

Cédric.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

mattb325

APSMS

I imagine one of those breadbasket farms belongs to our resident farmhand Fred. ;)

Incredibly picturesque updates!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

korver

- UPDATE 62: Mosaics & Bonus Pictures -

A collection of some of my favorite buildings and cities from across the globe that didn't make it into other updates this year - enjoy!

The Grand Canal
Venice, Italy

Commerzbank Tower
Frankfurt, Germany

Shanghai World Financial Center
Shanghai, China

Tokyo Skytree
Tokyo, Japan

Transamerica Pyramid
San Francisco, California, USA

Downtown Chicago

And finally, a couple more mosaics and panoramas from Sydney.

Every New Year's Eve, Sydney is home to one of the world's most amazing fireworks displays. Its truly a sight to behold.

Note: As with a number of my other updates, lots of custom models had to be imported into the game from various sites like 3d warehouse.

-korver

---

Replies

metarvo: Thank you very much! I'm not too sure on why exactly the houses in the Arctic are so colorful, but it's certainly quite beautiful and inspired me to do the pic ;)

reddonquixote: Thanks! Glad you liked the nature scenes :thumbsup:

manga rivotra: Thank you very much for the nice comment! :)

feyss: Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! :)

Badsim: Thanks for the nice words, glad you liked it! I'll probably be moving towards doing more rural/nature scenes in 2018, so stay tuned :) And also thanks for your fantastic work with the VIP Terrain Mod - I was finally able to put it to use with a few pics in this update and it's truly stunning :)

mattb325: Thanks for the comment :)

APSMS: Certainly could be ;) Thanks for the nice words!

kelis

This is really beautiful ! Looks like we love the same cities and buildings ! I have no words for that Venecian picture, It should takes a lot of time and effort...

Thanks once again for your amazing job Korver 😉
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Alan_Waters

Terrific! Particularly shocked by the park and the highway with a bridge. Unfortunately, such an overpass in the game is impossible. Terrific! You are a master-creator!  &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

vortext

OMG Venice!!!  :o   &apls &apls  &apls

Out of curiosity I just have to ask how you did that. Obviously it's a render of a premade model but how many parts does the ingame city consist of? And how did you manage the waterways? And the lighting? So many questions.  :D

Honestly I'd love to see a 'making of' entry sometime, doesn't matter which of your beautiful recreations, as I think it'd be really interesting to see how you go about.  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

art128

Stunning work on Venice... For a moment i thought that was a real picture. :)

The other mosaics are very well made too, love the skytree. Good job on Chicago too.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

mattb325

All amazing pictures, but Venice is just stunning! How many batted pieces were involved in making that?...it boggles the mind  :o

Themistokles

Venice is always the crown of cities and your rendition is spectacular ;D Also loved the Canada episode (and that's an understatement because I've run out of superlatives). I especially like the rural sceneries.

Outstanding work this year! &apls
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Akallan

Venice... :o It is a magnificent achievement and impressive! Congratulations! :popcorn:
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

reddonquixote

Venice is a masterpiece. Korver, you are a modern day Canaletto  &apls &apls

Amazing job with Sydney as well of course  :thumbsup:
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

kbieniu7

Wow, wow, wow... just don't know how to start commenting...

Just would repeat that Venice picture is incredibily incredible. Just so.

As well as igloo's picture from Canada and high-altitude wievs on New Zealand mountains.

Incredible  &apls
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

korver

[glow=gray,2,300]- UPDATE 63: Historic New York City -[/glow]

For my last two updates of the year, we're taking a look at one of the world's greatest cities - New York City, in the past and in the present. Today, we're going back in time once again - to take a look at historic New York City, primarily in Midtown Manhattan. Pretty much all the pictures will be set in 1935 - but I went even further back with a few.

We'll begin with a look at one of the city's most iconic landmarks - the Statue of Liberty. Opening in 1886, it was originally a stunning bronze color like depicted - but as oxidation set in over the years, it transformed into its trademark green by the 1920s.

The Plaza Hotel is another one of New York City's most iconic structures - since its completion in 1907, its been one of the city's most opulent and extravagant hotels. Horse drawn carriages were the primary way to get around when it was first completed and they were a common sight on the streets.

The Chrysler Building was opened in 1930 and is one of the city's most beautiful Art Deco skyscrapers. For a brief period of time, it was the world's tallest building - only to be surpassed by the Empire State Building a few years later.

The stunning Empire State Building was world's tallest building from 1931 to 1970 - and to this day it remains one of the world's most iconic skyscrapers. It's one of the city's Art Deco masterpieces.

The Sherry-Netherland is another one of New York City's Art Deco gems. Opening in 1927, it rises 560 feet over Central Park and is one of the city's most beautiful hotels.

Grand Central Terminal was opened in 1871 and has been one of the city's most crowded transportation hubs ever since.

Bryant Park dates back to 1847 and has been one of the city's most popular spots ever since. The surrounding New York Public Library was added in 1895 and is currently the world's fourth largest library.

The buildings of the Rockefeller Center were completed in the 1930s and are another fine example of the city's Art Deco style during this period.

The stunning Waldorf-Astoria Hotel was completed in 1931 and was the world's tallest hotel for over 30 years.

The nearby Chanin Building was opened in 1929 and was widely known for its beautiful brick and terra-cotta facade.

The Helmsley Building is another one of the city's most recognizable buildings during this period - and is known for the road running directly through it.

Times Square has long been one of the city's most crowded and popular destinations - and is surrounded by beautiful buildings like the One Times Square Building.

The Brooklyn Bridge is another one of the city's most recognizable landmarks - first opening back in 1883, it finally gave the people of the city a way to cross the river without using the ferry.

New York City used to have one of the country's most extensive el-rail lines - throughout the early 1900s they were widely used, but soon fell into disuse and were eventually torn down.

A couple of snowy and rainy days in New York City.

Some more assorted views of Manhattan.

A few more nighttime views from across the city.

One of the many beautiful parks that dot the city - Madison Square Park.

Located in the heart of Manhattan, Central Park dates back to 1857 and has been an urban oasis ever since.

An overview of stunning Central Park.

Finally, a few overviews of Midtown Manhattan in all its glory.

-korver

---

Replies

kelis: Thank you very much, glad you enjoyed it! :)

Alan_Waters: Thanks! Yeah, unfortunately those highway props I rendered aren't functional, but they look pretty close to the real thing in any case :) Glad you liked it.

vortext: Thanks! Pretty much I had to divide everything onto 16x16 tiles or smaller, or else gmax wouldn't accept the LODs, so it took a while to get everything rendered. I'm not sure on the exact number, but it was quite a few :P I used some plop water pieces for the waterways, but I did use some editing on the ripples, reflections, and lights to get the most out of the scene. I might consider some sort of guide when I have some free time ;)

art128: Thank you very much, glad you enjoyed the mosaics :)

mattb325: It took forever and was almost too much for my PC to handle, but it was worth it :P Thanks for the comment :)

Themistokles: Thank you very much for the kind words! :)

Akallan: Thanks for the nice comment :)

reddonquixote: Thank you very much for the nice words :thumbsup:

kbieniu7: Thanks for the nice words, glad you enjoyed it :)

art128

I'm at loss of words here. Even Broadway is extremely precisely made.
Shame there's no good quality ESB or GE Building though. Also where's the flatiron!?
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

reddonquixote

My favourite is the second to last one, with the view of central park, and the airship is a great touch  :thumbsup:
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

dyoungyn

&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls Very Impressive!

I have and still am very amazed on humans ability to build taller and taller at leaps and bounds. 

I see you even have the Woolworth building, Manahattan, NY was truly a U.S. achievement for the tallest in the world in the summer of 1929. 

Again, amazing detail and absolutely love this type of city building.

mattb325

New York called, and it wants its city back  :D

Amazing! I thought the Sydney/Vienna/London (etc, etc) scenes would have been difficult to top, but amazingly you've outdone yourself  &apls

Many others have attempted to recreate New York but come unstuck. It's so lovely to see Reddonquixote, Aaron Graham, JP schreifer, darknonno, parisian, diego del llano (and others who have released NY content over the years...sorry if I've missed anyone) Bats being used to such stunning effect.

The central park mosaic blew my mind  :)

Akallan

Beautiful, the night views are breathtaking! It seems that there are no limits for you! :o
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

korver

- UPDATE 64: New York City -

After taking a look at historic New York City - we'll take a look at this incredible city in the modern day. The Statue of Liberty is one of New York City's most iconic landmarks - originally bronze when it was completed in 1886, it turned green over the years due to oxidation and has greeted millions of immigrants coming into the United States.

The Brooklyn Bridge is one of the city's most famous landmarks - at the time of its opening in 1883, it was the world's longest suspension bridge and quickly became known across the globe.

Lower Manhattan boasts some of the world's most incredible skyscrapers. In the early 1900s, Art Deco high rises like the incredible Woolworth Building dominated the skyline, and the entire area quickly became an important financial and business hub. Today, Lower Manhattan continues to grow upwards with buildings like the World Trade Center complex after the original twin towers fell on September 11th, 2001.

Snowy days can be quite stunning in New York City - especially among the high rises of Midtown Manhattan.

The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum is one of the city's most unique and beautiful buildings - designed by famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright, it's been a popular attraction since its opening in 1959.

Since its opening in 1857, Central Park has been an oasis in the heart of the city and one of its most popular destinations.

The United Nations Headquarters was completed in 1952 by architects Oscar Niemeyer and Le Corbusier. The complex has served as the official world headquarters of the UN ever since.

Madison Square Garden is one of New York City's most famous venues - from professional basketball, hockey, boxing, concerts, and more - there's always something going on here.

The Empire State Building was opened in 1931 - standing 1,250 feet tall, it has remained an icon of the city ever since and is particularly striking at night.

A mosaic of Midtown Manhattan at night - one of the world's most awe-inspiring skylines.

Thanks once again to everyone for your support throughout the course of 2017!

-korver

---

Replies

art128: Thanks for the comment! :) Yeah, it's a shame about some of those buildings - I actually felt that the quality of the Maxis landmarks was okay, but the scale was the main concern. I was thinking about doing a scene with the Flatiron Building, but the quality of the models out there wasn't the greatest and didn't really do it justice.

reddonquixote: Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! I had to make sure to include at least one zeppelin to really get that 1930s NYC feeling ;)

dyoungyn: Thanks for the kind words! :)

mattb325: Thank you very much! I tried to get as much variety as possible from all the great NYC authors out there and the final result was quite stunning! :)

Akallan: Thanks, glad you enjoyed it! :)