• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: Ryan B. on August 08, 2009, 09:50:30 PM
Any chance the middle lane could be made for both left and right turns?

Sure.

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 08, 2009, 09:56:59 PM
Or even two left turn lanes? That's usually the case around here.

Absolutely.

Heck, there's even TuLEPs to do this:

And to prove I'm not pulling anyone's leg and just quick-changing textures, here's all the Avenue Type A TuLEPs that are in-game as of this moment.  A1 is in the upper-left corner, going down to A6 in the lower-right.

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 08, 2009, 09:56:59 PM
In fact often the right turn lane would be added to the right side.

Sounds like Avenue Type D or E, perhaps.

Type B will basically be like Type A, but the rightmost lane will turn off.  Type C is the tentative designation for the dual turn lanes I showed earlier.

And joelyboy911, your idea seems like it should be feasible for a future TuLEPs release, too.

-Alex

Ryan B.

Wow, Alex . . . . this is all the stuff I dreamed of doing. 

Way to make this guy's dreams come true.

joelyboy911

Neat.

I wonder, If I were to make some textures for roundabouts for different types of networks intersecting, as well as some other types for road and ave, would you be interested in making them into puzzle pieces? I know that that part is the grunt work - but I know little of how to produce puzzle pieces.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

JoeST

quick question, are the ped crossings models (aka, can they be changed without changing the whole texture)?
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

MandelSoft

How about Right turning lanes (RHD) or Left turning lanes (LHD). These are quite common around here:
Example 1
Example 1
Example 3

SC4 has a lack of right turning lanes. Also, can you make a puzzle piece like A1, but then with straight ahead arrows in the middle two lanes and a piece with the same setup as the NAM 4-way AVE intersection (Left, Straight, Straight-Right)?

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

debutterfly

In America we call those slip lanes Maarten and Alex did mention that they are in the works.  :)

Larry (debutterfly)

sithlrd98

While you are showing all those Alex, I am wondering if something like this is feasible? Of course have some straight directional arrows as well.
Keep in mind this was a quick Photoshop deal!

Jayson

Ryan B.

Quote from: sithlrd98 on August 09, 2009, 07:00:37 AM
While you are showing all those Alex, I am wondering if something like this is feasible? Of course have some straight directional arrows as well.

Jayson

Hmm . . . . that reminds me . . . . in dual left turn lane setups, the innermost left turn lane (We'll call it the number-4 lane) is used to make U-turns from, usually into the number-1 (right) lane in the opposite direction.

I'll see if I can find the MUTCD U-turn arrow graphic for this.

bob56

Jayson

Also, just an idea, but how about putting the U-turn lanes in RHW or straight Avenue. I went to Texas recently, and there were many 'turnarounds' where an exit would be devoted to turning around?

Great Job everyone btw. I really like TuLEP 'C' I can't wait
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

sithlrd98

After I posted the pic , it occurred to me that I could have added a few things such as arrows/stop lines, but the overall thought/question was for this to move over to other transit as well. There are many different things I see in the "small" city I live in that I would love to see incorporated.

Jayson

Ryan B.

Quote from: bob56 on August 09, 2009, 08:32:52 AM
Also, just an idea, but how about putting the U-turn lanes in RHW or straight Avenue. I went to Texas recently, and there were many 'turnarounds' where an exit would be devoted to turning around?

Great Job everyone btw. I really like TuLEP 'C' I can't wait

Already possible in the RHW, but without the left / U-turn lane.  I assume that's what you're talking about including.

Splime

Quote from: Tarkus on August 08, 2009, 07:34:56 PM
Rough draft of the aforementioned 100% chance:

Going to move the crosswalks back a bit, and of course, I still need to color-correct it.

-Alex

Wow, all these turn lanes should be great! I have one really tiny nitpick though - the wear on the T-intersection suggests that traffic in the left turn lane on the north-south avenue moves directly into the rightmost lane of the east-west avenue, which I'm fairly certain is not legal. As I said, it's a really tiny issue, though it will become more important if you make 2 left turn lanes.

metalheadfromny

Are these pieces going to be able to reduce traffic congestion or are they merely eye candy?

KoV Liberty

Well one things for sure is that they are not eyecandy.

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

Tarkus

Thought I'd answer a few more questions/comments.

Quote from: WC_EEND on August 07, 2009, 02:59:03 AM
will there also be RHW(2) TuLEPs?

Absolutely--they're listed in the FAQ at the top.

Quote from: JoeST on August 07, 2009, 05:30:16 AM
What I meant was, is the intersection square plopable with a custom path... or could the previously-plopped piece change the paths?

Some of the intersections will be ploppable, while others, including that OWR TuLEP I showed, are designed to conform to the "stock" intersection layout and pathing.

Quote from: joelyboy911 on August 09, 2009, 12:49:22 AM
I wonder, If I were to make some textures for roundabouts for different types of networks intersecting, as well as some other types for road and ave, would you be interested in making them into puzzle pieces? I know that that part is the grunt work - but I know little of how to produce puzzle pieces.

I'd definitely be interested--sounds like you have some interesting stuff in mind. :)

It certainly would.  Those would be relatively simple pieces to make, too.

On the subject of U-Turns, a lot of times here in Oregon, they'll allow them from left turn lanes if there's a sign permitting it.  (Had to do one of those on my drivers' license test in '03, in fact.)

Quote from: Splime on August 09, 2009, 09:22:13 AM
the wear on the T-intersection suggests that traffic in the left turn lane on the north-south avenue moves directly into the rightmost lane of the east-west avenue, which I'm fairly certain is not legal.

Good eye, Splime!  I can't believe I didn't catch that when I was making that texture--d'oh!

Quote from: metalheadfromny on August 09, 2009, 05:11:46 PM
Are these pieces going to be able to reduce traffic congestion or are they merely eye candy?

It'll ultimately depend on the setup and how it's situated on the tile--some will and some won't.  The existing NAM Avenue Turn Lane setup does have an impact on congestion, and the Type A Avenue TuLEPs are similarly situated, so they'll affect things in more or less the same way.  I'll have more to say on that as more TuLEP setups are designed and revealed.  Namely, I'm planning on producing a table in the FAQ post, much like I have in the RHW thread, detailing the setups and their functional ramifications.

Also, choice of traffic plugin will affect things quite a bit--using a "modern" simulator (i.e. A, B or Z) will produce optimal results. The "spreading" behavior that those plugins encourage on the Wider RHWs will allow for the best TuLEP functionality as well, and as such, they'll be recommended for TuLEP users.

-Alex

sithlrd98

&apls Excellent! This definitely is a project that has really caught my attention! I simply can't wait!

Everyone stop asking questions so he can get done quicker  :D :D :D

Jayson

kassarc16

This is just awesome, especially the OWRTLs. I had a crazy idea of a road override ala RHW for one-ways that would maybe solve the traffic light, turn lane problems. Seems you've got another trick up the other sleeve. You and the Team never cease to amaze!

By the way, how will the ploppable center section for TuLEPs work?

Original

I dare you :P

No I'm just kidding haha.

If neccessary you shouldn't worry about adding an extra two tiles before the intersection to make large turning lanes. I live in Downtown Winnipeg and every weekend I have to take a famous intersection to get out of the city. The intersection has 4 major arteries of the city and doesnt really specialize in pedestrian traffic because of the mall located under this intersection.

So all i'm saying is don't worry about narrow sidewalks, because even the bats 95% of the time have enough space for that. :) And even making the turning lanes higher with an extra two tiles added will be a bonus for everyone. :) Goodluck!

If you need feedback always ask the public, both newbies and experts.

Edit: Mirrored image because of Google's bad image prespective, We drive towards North on the right side of the road!

KoV Liberty

Where did you get this building?
                                                 vvv

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

Original