• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Client Engine

Started by croxis, October 26, 2009, 03:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croxis

What engine to use? My ideal solution is to stick with Python or C/C++ for portability reasons. While I am told C# is easy to program with it is very windows centric and I would like linux/mac/win compatibility.  Mods are welcome to fill this out as well

Engine Choices:
Panda
Python and C++ (like our server application).
Licence: BSD
Advantages: Actively developed by corporation/university/community. Python for fast development and C for speed. Full game engine (sound, ui, etc). Other useful utilities like 3d web plugin (play game at work via web browser? :P)
Disadvantages: Some features (web plugin, dynamic shadows) in cvs but not yet in release version. Engine I used before so I am biased :P

The following are 3D engines only, but have an assortment of addons to make it a complete engine.

OGRE
Licence: LGPL
C++
Advantages: Popular so lot of extensions and addons
Disadvantages: 3D engine only

Irrlicht
Licence: Modified zlib/libpng
C++
Advantages: Lightweight, simplicity.
Disadvantages: 3D engine only.

Nique

Panda

but i need to do some research on c++/python
Proudly developer of

tomkeus

I like Irrlicht for its small size and simplicity, but Panda also looks good.
#define TRUE FALSE /*Happy debugging suckers*/

croxis

I only used panda, so please let me know of pros and cons of ogre or irrlicht or another foss engine.
Also updated with licence type.

Sartoris

Might want to add some audio libraries to complement the 3d engines.

SDL_mixer
OpenAL

Nique

irrlicht has irrKlang for audio (3d audio)
Proudly developer of

Nique

CityMania (Irrlicht Test) Client (nothing special, it uses OPENGL, i can't compile for linux (yet!)),

wrote it in C++  ;D

(little stupid build for windows users only)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PZN99S3P

for source see attachements.

My next TEST will be with PANDA3d
Proudly developer of

croxis

If you don't have a linux install and don't want to mess with partitions, you can try using Wubi.
I also have my panda client in my github repo as well if you wanted that reference.

Nique

I have a ubuntu server next to me. But i dont know how to compile these things in there  ;D
Proudly developer of

tomkeus

OK, I took a peek at Panda's abilities to draw lines, circles and other vector graphics I need for construction layer and I think I'll go with Panda. If we settle on Panda, I'll port my demo app to Panda.

Nique

Panda3d is hard for me. If someone knows some tuts/documentation about it to learn.. please.. tell me.
Proudly developer of

tomkeus

Quote from: Nique on October 28, 2009, 06:56:06 AM
Panda3d is hard for me. If someone knows some tuts/documentation about it to learn.. please.. tell me.

I don't know anything more than you about Panda, but that's no problem, take a look at Panda's website, there is wealth of material there.

croxis

I've used it before (the python side of things at least) so I can try and answer any questions on that. The manual and reference page are great resources, as is their forums. They also have a chat channel on freenode (same server as our chat) under #panda3d

Nique

I'm really having a hard time understanding panda3d (and python at all). In Irrlicht there where classes that helped me setting up

- game scenes (main menu, region view, mayor view etc etc)

I cant find any examples / tutorials on this. The tutorials ive seen are just bunches of code which i have to 'back-engineer'...

The tutorials are just blank py files but don't tell me anything from the beginning where to start, how to work efficiently, how to build up a framework..  :(. I cant build a client engine in the next year i think.. because i need time to learn it with panda3d).. someone else needs to take over here i think  :(
Proudly developer of

tomkeus

Use C++ API if Python is too confusing for you. Besides, most of GUI will probably be written with C++.

Nique

i have used visualPython for python inside Visual studio 2008. But i have problems with building it. From the commandline i can just do python file.py and everything is ok, but when i press F5 inside Visual Studio nothing happens except a bunch of crappy errors that i couldn't find the python.dll library or something. Weird..

Anyway, for simplicity i want to try to do something with the GUI indeed (c++).. python is to hard for me at the moment. Maybe someone can try to build a terrain using panda3d? just as an example? I couldnt find 'good' examples/tuts about this part.

About the GUI.. shouldn't we make some drafts on how it should look like? Do we have a main menu, or do we just have region view when startup the game.

Left bar (simcity-like)
Top bar (linux (gnome) like)
Bottom bar (strategy gaming like)
Proudly developer of

tomkeus

I will probably sort out things about the construction layer. But it would be nice to see some design work being done on the UI.

townscape

I'm already working on it and can even show it a little later after I work on it a little more.
See below :)

funny how I link the banner to the only place I ever post :)
The Greatest place to get a game name

croxis

Nique, hop in the chatroom and I'll be able to help.

Panda gives a bit more freedom in that there isn't a strict scene system. Some people use the FiniteStateMachine class to manage scenes. In the past I wrote my own gui manager. Panda uses a nodetree scene graph, render is scene for 3d rendering, aspect2d is for the ui.

You can also check out the panda client I have so far here: http://github.com/croxis/CityMania/tree/master/LinuxClient/

main.py is the start file.