• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Great news! permission for main theme sound (track)

Started by Nique, October 24, 2009, 06:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nique

Great news!

I've contacted Paul Hardcastle and we have permission to use the track: "Valley of the Harps". This is on the provision that the game is not for commercial use, we should place a link and credit his name in the game credits). This is great news! it's in fact a commercial track ;) and i think it sounds like a 'main' song for cmania ?

http://www.youtube.com/v/ZMQ_B_9kbyU&hl=nl&fs=1&

Proudly developer of

KoV Liberty

Sounds good. Will the entire song open the game or just an abbreviated version? Lol.

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

Nique

Quote from: Driftmaster07 on October 24, 2009, 07:15:30 AM
Sounds good. Will the entire song open the game or just an abbreviated version? Lol.

I don't know yet, its fresh news, i just heard it couple of minutes ago  ;D but i'm happy with it ;) especial the 'harp' part in the beginning. i think we can use that melody for the main melody
Proudly developer of

j-dub

I got to say that does meet the requirement for new development, its the type of music I would hear when I used to frequently walk into model homes in upcoming subdivisions. Sad how most of these places just did not last, some of them had real great floor plans unlike other popular builders, just wrong place, wrong time.

Anyway Nique, how is music controlled in this game? When I played SC4, it seemed to have a hard time controlling the MP3 files. It seemed to be okay with no custom music, but it would seem to crash when I clicked in the middle of a song change. Another game I know of, what they did is, they made the radio player operated, the player would hit F4, and could just pick a song off a giant list, rather then have the game choose it for them by shuffling, just like how SC4 would try to do that.

In Metropolis Mania, they only had one or two songs just constantly loop over.  You had to pay in game money to buy more music, and in order to do that, your player would eventually either have had an npc call up asking to build an electric, or music store in your city/town, and that could take forever. Otherwise you would have to really become friendly with your residents, ask around constantly, to finally get someone to give you the phone number of either a family member, or friend in a different city to ask them to franchise a music in your town, then and only then, you could change your soundtrack, but when you had to take care of another city, any soundtrack you bought in the last one, could not be in your next, so it was the lame cliche music again.

To make a long story short, great music by Hardcastle, just what ever you do don't make it overused, and have the game constantly play it the whole time (that could be two hours) like regular video games do with lyric music.

On another note, should City Mania refrain from music with lyrics? If you ever played EA's Need For Speed Most Wanted on a console gaming system, you know what I am talking about with decent music that sadly got old fast.

Nique

Ooh, my plan is to search for enough (voice-less) relaxing tracks, put it in a 'standard' library (no mp3 in the game folder because hardcastle for example is commercial). Just 30 tracks or something that shuffles while playing. And of course, you can put in your own music by just adding mp3's / m3u's.. making playlists. But i dont think this is priority. I want to give the game some decent music by default. Sound is one dimension on it's own. We shouldn't forget that. You can help me search on Jamendo for great 'default' tracks we can add to the game. (jamendo is a common creative library of music, which we may freely use)

Sound-Effects
Shortly i will open up a topic about sound-effects. (hearing water waves and sea-gull's when the users view is close at the beach)
Proudly developer of

tomkeus

I really like the track. I always liked SC music because of that jazzy feel it had. Whenever I hear sax I think of the light up skyscrapers at night.
#define TRUE FALSE /*Happy debugging suckers*/

Atomius

my fav simcity music was the simcity 2000 music. i think it went very nicely with the game. incidental music like when you placed a park a happy tune would play etc. but i guess the 'music player' system is better for newer games

j-dub

Yeah, speaking of which Nique, I thought you did make your own music, so why would it be a problem using your cover version of that one SC2000 song? I know I heard a SC4 song used in a Monte Cristo commercial. However Nique, since you created this project, maybe you don't need to search for music, as much as we should for you. Now, yes, there is the matter of sound fx, go into a real parking lot where food scraps were left, usually a bunch of seagulls will be there fighting for food, and then maybe to avoid any royalty issues, I guess anyone could go to a public beach and record the noise. I don't live by no ocean though that I can record such windy watery wave noises. However, seagulls have decided they rather fly all the way to the midwestern U.S. to fight over a single french fry.

croxis

We need to be careful what we include with the stock download, a lot of linux distos are kinda strict with what they include in their repositories. And I would love to get CityMania into the repos :)

Nique

Quote from: croxis on October 29, 2009, 09:09:21 PM
We need to be careful what we include with the stock download, a lot of linux distos are kinda strict with what they include in their repositories. And I would love to get CityMania into the repos :)

we can compress soundFX in soundFX libraries.. nobody would see that they're sounds.. the mp3 directory is just empty be distributing the system.

I know, i can make music but i have no time to make one. Where we get permission to use professional music, we should take it. no worries about those repos. royality music can be hided (no raw mp3 files in a folder).. the mp3 folder is for customizing by the 'client' (player) only..
Proudly developer of

croxis

It isn't an issue with having mp3 or not. Plenty of games are in main repos with music files (usually ogg). The issue is the music itelf. If there are assets that do not allow derivative work then the chances on getting in are significantly reduced.

townscape

Check this out, sounds good
http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/2470
http://www.jamendo.com/en/track/293183
http://www.jamendo.com/en/track/5783
http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/51858

to add: it is better to have a lot of primary music material, firstly selected from the site, next selected for compatibility with a single playlist and the theme of the game

funny how I link the banner to the only place I ever post :)
The Greatest place to get a game name

j-dub

Yeah, they do. ()stsfd() Now, wouldn't it just be easier to keep the music in the format they came in, instead of making the change to ogg? I only have one game on my PC using ogg. Everyone else uses MP3's.