• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

need help: reducing the footprint of a building

Started by Seaman, December 14, 2016, 11:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaman

hi there

I've ran into a problem: I want to modify the wonderful korail sunken rail station lot. Its on a 4x6 lot pattern and I want to modify it to be 4x2 with the building visually overhanging the lot.

I was able to get my desired 2x4 TE lot, textures and stuff, but I cannot save in the LE, warning me that objects extending beyond it's bounds. I do believe, that this is caused by the building beeing wider than my lot foundation (apart from beeing unable to save, I've read, that this might cause the "Cannot bulldoze" syndrome).

(ignore the transit enabled tiles... picture is from WIP)

Therefore I have to change the building itself, but I have no idea how to do that... help, somebody  ()what()

mgb204

In short you need to alter the "Occupant Size" property of the model. Is the model on the lot as a building or prop? Ideally it should be a building, because props overhanging lots will not show any nitelights if they exist. In short the occuptant size is in m WxHxD (widthxheightxdepth), just use something like 1, 1, 1 which will make the item really small. But there is another problem, you can alter a buildings exemplar, but the size is actually added to the lot properties when you add a building/prop onto a lot. In practise this means you need to replace the item on the lot before the changes will be taken into account. For props that's simple, but you can't easily do this for buildings.

You should open the original lot in the Reader to make a copy of the Buildings Exemplar. it will need to have a new ID to work properly. Having copyied the exemplar in Reader, right click it and select "Generate new Instance". Remove all the other files from the Lot File and use "Save As" to make a copy of just the file you need. Rather than a SC4Lot file, it should be a SC4Desc file, but it will likely work either way. The back in the LE, use the Replace Item function to switch to your new modified buildings exemplar. One the edited lot is saved, your changes should be merged into the new SC4Lot file. At this point you should remove all the old files and test it. If it's working, you can ditch the redundant files now.

Seaman

ok, got it. thx mgb204, your explanation is very helpful!