• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Downloaded Residential not show up in cities

Started by fritzfarlig, April 24, 2016, 04:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fritzfarlig

it is perhaps  the old song again. but I have to ask why does some of the residential properties  not show up in my cities that I downloaded to my plug-ins folder I am always careful to get all the dependencies with
What I doing wrong ? Ps I have the mod no maxis files
???   ???

art128

Some residential (really any growable R C or I) will not grow if they're not properly modded. (It's the case with Kei's Japanese buildings.)
Maybe your city doesn't have the requirement needed for the lots to grow.
Some plugins are modification of maxis lots, for some reason you can't have them to grow if you block the original maxis lots.

Really at this point we can say whatever we want and give you all sort of explaining, it's not gonna do much. If you could tell us which buildings aren't growing it would help a lot.

Also, and this stands to anyone out there really, please don't expect us to be wizard and know everything. If you report a bug with a plugin, please tell us which plugin it is. Otherwise we can't tell you anything worth.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

fritzfarlig

ok that makes sense with modifided maxis lot
here are some examples of buildings that not show up

SFBT Bauhaus Series by Mathe Man (v1.0)
TSC vivydu29 Roc Bihan (v1.0)
SFBT Chemnitz Founding Epoch Residential W2Ws by Temroc (v1.0)
BNL Dutch row houses 1960 (v1.0)
SFBT Otradnoye Blocks by Sam Johnson (v. 1.0) by Andreas

I also know some buildings dont like slope
I must like the euro style and spec. SFBT´s buildings  ;D
if the not are modded properly everybody must have the same problem
almost all my downloads come from LEX

FrankU

If you have blocked all Maxis residentials you must be sure to have Stage 1 lots in your downloads, otherwise nothing will grow.
And you better have also stage 2, 3 etc. Plus you have to be sure to zone the right sizes: 1x1 lots won't grow on 2 tile deep zones, even if desirability is enormous.
You could use my first set of Dutch Housing Project for those first stages.
But of course there is more to life than BNL.

Frank

Andreas

I just did a quick test for the SFBT Buildings with a Maxis-Blocker in an All-Maxis city, and they grew instantly. However, as Frank pointed out, the conditions in your city might be not right for those to grow. Maybe there is too much competition from other buildings, so the game picks those in favor over the ones you mentioned. The SFBT Bauhaus series probably has not enough residents, so it will only grow in a very early phase of city development. Looking at the lots, they're stage 3, maybe this should be set to 1 (I guess the Lot Editor changed that automatically and it was overlooked).

The same applies to the Chemnitz W2W buildings, usually, there's a lot of competition from other W2W series, and of those supply higher occupancy numbers, the game will pick those in favor over the low-occupancy ones. Finally, the Otradnoye Blocks have some unusual lot sizes, try to zone them with CTRL pressed, at least the 8x8 block should grow easily, unless you have other 8x8 lots that compete with this one. If you're familiar with the modding tools, try to adjust the stats a bit, so they're more in line with those of your other downloads.
Andreas

fritzfarlig

Thank you guys for always quick and good answers in this forum  :thumbsup:
I will try to download Frank's houses he recommend
I don't have many houses in my plugins
I will try to download some small stage 1 house too (like Frank's)
And start my cities quiet up
And later come the house I want
My plan later is try to mod/overwrite my maxis house (I really don't like them &Thk/( )
And remove my no maxis file mod

mgb204

Using the Maxis blocker is all well and good. But as has been stated, you really need to make sure you've sufficient content to cover all the various growth stages and wealth/densities. Even if you have that though, perhaps you just aren't zoning the right sized zones to work with your specific custom content. Also, take a note of the tileset in use. By default I believe the game switches between the four available ones every five years. Meaning if you've content which uses only one of them, they can only grow for 5 out of every 20 game years.

It's a little time consuming, but making a categorised list of which buildings you have, including the growth stage, wealth, density, tileset and zone sizes can help you to see where there are gaps that need filling.

Whilst badly modded lots can be an issue, anything commonly downloaded that doesn't have any mention of this in the comments can usually be trusted to be correctly modded. Some custom content just will never grow easily too.

The issue really comes down to the fact that the content Maxis provided was balanced to work together and cover all possible scenarios. If you remove all that content in one foul swoop, you can easily unbalance the options the simulator has to choose from. As such, sometimes it's better to keep the Maxis content and use it to help get your region growing. You can always delete those buildings you don't want to see. Remember that the simulator often needs to upgrade buildings a number of times before you will necessarily see high rises or high wealth/growth stage lots, they rarely grow immediately. So let the simulator take it's time before you start pruning those buildings that don't fit your style of play.

fritzfarlig

mgb204 yes I understand I can't remove all maxis file in one time
I see my cities are unbalanced
I have all styles one time set to work
I read carefully the zone size in all read me for the custom made house
I am afraid some of the downloads I have done are based on a maxis file
like Andreas wrote and will not show up