• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiimeiser

So after the Tartarus of trying to get the game to run on my new PC (I had to disable vital security features :angrymore: ) I finally managed to test some of the new features out. For some reason, the new draggable FLUPs were really laggy and I kept running into issues where there would be a two tile part of underground RHW that the game would refuse to allow me to connect to anything, and I couldn't place the tunnel portals next to each other...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

The Subway-based FLUPs can be finicky--this is explicitly mentioned in the documentation.  Side-by-side setups are especially so, and we're looking to improve them. 

-Alex

pierrebaptiste

Hello ,

Thanks for the developpement of NAM 40  &apls

I have constated a bug :

The suspended highway > there is any feet on the floor  :o . Physicaly it's a biggest constrain on the suspended hhighway  :D

deanva

Why am I getting double folders after downloading NAM 40?

Tarkus

Quote from: pierrebaptiste on April 04, 2021, 07:06:09 AM
The suspended highway > there is any feet on the floor  :o . Physicaly it's a biggest constrain on the suspended hhighway  :D

That looks as if it may be a T21 issue.  I haven't encountered it personally yet, but I will investigate to see what may be happening there.

Quote from: deanva on April 04, 2021, 02:57:05 PM
Why am I getting double folders after downloading NAM 40?

Those aren't technically double folders, as far as Windows sees it--you'll notice amongst that first batch, you have "1 Core", without the underscore ("_"), and "1_Core", with the underscore.  You do, however, have two NAM versions installed, and since NAM 40 is the one without the underscores (removed because of Mac load order issues), and the Windows version of the game will read "_" as coming later in the load order than a single space, that old NAM version will be overriding NAM 40.

We mention in the installation instructions that users should remove any previous NAM versions prior to installing the latest.  This is a relatively recent change, prompted by the fact that our present installer (introduced last July with NAM 37) does not have the ability to detect previous installation options.

With the new installer, the old NAM installation is no longer removed automatically, so users should manually remove the "Network Addon Mod" and "z___NAM" folders from their Plugins directory. If you use the "Cleanup" option under the "Setup" tab, it is highly recommended that you select the "Backup" option upon completion, and "Delete" will in fact delete all those files, making them unrecoverable. It is recommended, particularly with this Release Candidate, that you back those folders up in a location that is not in your Plugins folder. The "z___NAM" folder has been eliminated, and all files are now installed to the "Network Addon Mod" directory.

I would advise completely removing the "Network Addon Mod" folder out of your Plugins folder, and then reinstall NAM 40.

-Alex

jeffryfisher

Quote from: Tarkus on April 04, 2021, 11:15:03 PM
I would advise completely removing the "Network Addon Mod" folder out of your Plugins folder, and then reinstall NAM 40.
I was wondering about that when I read the NAM-40 announcement and it said to run a bat file without first mentioning to delete any prior NAM version. You might add an echo (tell user to remove/move prior NAM) and a pause to do so at the start of that bat file.
Modding PC games since 1993 (back when we needed hex-editors)

deanva

Thought I had deleted the previous NAM, guess I didn't the double folders are now gone thanks Alex.

Wiimeiser

Further experimentation:
-An "Unsuitable area" extends for five tiles past the override piece/stub.
-The game will refuse to place the auto-destroy tile directly adjacent to any of these five tiles if it is in the same orientation as the existing piece.
-If two portals are placed adjacent first, dragging subway from one creates an undraggable stub on all adjacent override tiles and all tiles adjacent on further portals.
-Because of the above points, it is physically impossible to have two portals directly next to each other and have them both function.
-The space directly in front of the glitched stub is also "unsuitable" due to the Subway network having auto-connect.
-The cosmetic override when two RHW-4 portals are adjacent does not function.
-Any manipulation creates severe lag, placing a portal takes ~2 seconds and placing an adjacent portal takes ~10 seconds, demolition can take anywhere between 3 and 30 seconds.
If any of this is untrue for the NAM Team, then it's highly likely being in LHD is messing things up somehow. Perhaps LHD messes with the Subway network somehow? Or are the RULs just missing or incompatible?

Also, I don't have a way to transition Avenue to Subway and I am using the MHO, so old FLUPS or AVE tunnel shenanigans it is...

EDIT: I also seem to be unable to drag straight into the overridden Subway when coming from the opposite direction with another override.

My hypothesis is, since IIRC the overrides are the result of leftover code from an unfinished auto turn lanes idea, then:
-Subway existed in the base game, and was copied directly from Street before the latter's ability to be dragged diagonally was disabled (the only network for which this is the case)
-Alternatively they were all just copied from Road
-IIRC LHD did not exist in the base game and was added in Rush Hour (only two highway interchanges existed in base game IIRC so it wouldn't have changed anything anyway) and the intersection overrides, pending the unreleased second and third expansions, was copied over and converted to all surface networks except power lines, including the unused Dirt Road, but not to Subway since Subway is supposed to be an abstract network like in previous titles. And the lack of LHD-specific Subway code is messing things up somehow. I'm honestly just guessing at this point, though.

EDIT2: I don't know how, but I did get the adjacent overrides to work once during my experiment with 5 portals (and somehow I got "Unsuitable grade for construction on a region with unmodified terrain)

And to clarify, the RHW-2 draggable tunnels are working fine, provided they're long enough. It's when I try putting two next to each other that the problems begin. I think the instability in this case might be due to the Subway's auto-connect (two facing stubs will automatically connect, though dragging across doesn't trigger it like with streets and RHW) and since the overrides are technically intersections something there may be triggering auto-connect unexpectedly.

pieman102

Does anyone know how I can make this not look like this? Not a big fan of the little space there between the RHW and the FAR pieces. I tried flattening out the terrain but that didn't seem to help.

soulchaser

Quote from: Tarkus on April 03, 2021, 03:05:03 AM
The L1 RRW x Road DxO is indeed not supported at present.  To my knowledge, L2, surprisingly enough, is (the ERRW development thus far focused more on L2, mainly to render the existing puzzle pieces obsolete quicker).

-Alex

Thank you for the information. so back to L2, then ;)

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

Wiimeiser

NAM 41 doesn't appear to be installing the models and paths for the REW in LHD offsets, it only installs them in RHD offsets. I don't know if this is the game or the NAM controller doing this, though...

Tarkus

See my reply here.  It's likely not an LHD issue, but a Legacy Support situation involving old REW content.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

The problem is solved, I think it was a leftover hotfix that was doing it.

dyoungyn

Here is a problem I see with NAM41 with 7.5 Slope and RHW 8C over 6S.  No mater where I click, the overpass does not covert to 8C.

woodb3kmaster

That looks like a RUL2 error - the FLEX-OnSlope piece seems to have overridden to a combination of RHW-C Inner + RHW-10S Outer. I'll have a look at the code to make sure...

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

dyoungyn

I even tried this with a space before the Slope piece and same result.

Tarkus

I've just attempted to replicate the issue, and it's nothing wrong with the FLEX OnSlopes.  Those override with RHW-8C just fine. 

The issue seems to be stemming from the older puzzle piece versions of the RHW-8C Type E1 ramps that you appear to be using.  Those have ancient versions of the RHW starters on the ends of them, which were problematic not only because of their slope intolerance, but also because they were rather unreliable in terms of the overrides.

Switching to the FLEXRamps or Draggable Ramp Interfaces (DRIs) will likely help that situation.  There's been a ton of adjacency stability added to them, to help handle overrides for ramps in the vicinity of FLEX-HT/FLEX-OST.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Alex,

I took you generous note as I had old slope pieces on another interchange overpass on the current working map.   I removed and placed the new Flex Slop and wa-la for that interchange.  However, I tried re-doing the Cloverleaf interchange by completely destroying and with a space before the slope and you see the end result, halfway there.  I even tried clicking and re-dragging the overpass and L0 8C over and over again, with no avail.  This time, however, there is NO OTHER old pieces on the map as I have re-started this map several months ago and trying to Terraform the map which is excruciating row by row to get it right.  Anyway, pressed forward and tried the RHW again. 

dyoungyn

Alex,

I am attempting to use Flex Ramps and would love to draw out certain ramps.  I know I asked for it before but I just cannot find it.  May I kindly ask for the drawing directions for the RHW ramps please.

dyoungyn

woodb3kmaster

If you mean this diagram, well, here you go. I don't know if it needs to be updated at all, but as far as I know, all the drag patterns it shows should still be valid in NAM 41.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8