• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FAR Texture Override Question

Started by debutterfly, August 01, 2009, 06:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

debutterfly

Hey, I don't think this has been asked anywhere yet. Please move the topic if I'm wrong. Is there a way to override FAR pieces so you do not have to use puzzle pieces. For example, when you delete the straight FAR piece you see that it is actually two parallel roads. I'm not requesting this or anything, but am wondering if it could be done. Thanks for the info. An example of texture overriding laid pieces is the roundabouts incorporated with the NAM. I am not talking about SAM texture overrides.

Larry (debutterfly)

Korot

No, it can't, because the game can only draw a road in 4 directions, the orthogonal ones, and the diagonal ones.

Regards,
Korot

debutterfly

smoncrie

debutterfly, I don't know if it is what you are looking for, but I made a mod that changes the road FAR curves so that they will automatically use any road texture mod you have installed.  I have just released it to the rest of the NAM team, so I am not yet sure when it will be more widely available.  It may become part of the NAM.

This picture shows how my version of the FAR curves can use any texture:

To make each picture, I just changed a texture.

joelyboy911

I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that what was being asked was, can you make a way for a certain combination of dragged roads transform into a FAR piece all by themselves, like how when you drag a ring of OWR, it magics into a roundabout.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

debutterfly

joelyboy911 bingo!  ;) That's what I was thinking of exactly. Just couldn't get it into words correctly. I'm more of a math & science person.

-Larry (debutterfly)

joelyboy911

So..... Is someone from within the NAM team going to comment on the viability of this idea? I think it would really make the usage of FA networks a lot easier, and therefore more popular. I feel certain that there must be a way, as in how when you drag streets 1 up, 1 across twice it makes itself into a diagonal? Roundabouts are implemented in this way, and I think it shares some similarity with how turning lanes are made.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

sithlrd98

Take this as my explanation of how I understand this: The FAR/WRC are puzzle piece based and are not draggable.Though the SAM stuff is , the amount of Rul overrides is limited. In order to get the most bang for the buck , certain things are not going to be set-up to be like the Maxis transit items. The other thing about the FAR is exactly as the name says...Fractional Angle , which probably was not even thought feasible by Maxis , since we play on a grid. The MORPH curves that were shown by Smoncrie will become more flexible in some regards , but I do not think we will see a draggable FAR or WRC automatic conversion. Of course , I don't know everything and what I think I know could be wrong :) Just my .02

Jayson

Tarkus

There might be a way to do it using the Individual Network RULs, but there's a very good possibility it might end up being more cumbersome than the existing puzzle piece setup.  I may work up a prototype out of curiosity at some point, but unless it really turns out to be phenomenally better, it won't get any further than that.

Dragabble solutions are great for a lot of situations, but sometimes, puzzle pieces allow more flexibility, particularly in more unusual setups.

-Alex

joelyboy911

That's cool. I was just wondering, and it seemed like it might be a better way. I wouldn't advocate getting rid of puzzle pieces either. This setup would probably just be good for long straight sections. Of course, since I know precious nothing about transit modding, the fact that you are willing to give it a go is as much as I can ask, so I thank you. If it seems that it will be too difficult, either to make or to use, then I ask you to stop - do not work just on the basis of my request, your other projects deserve more attention.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Ramona Brie

daeley

Quote from: Tracker on September 06, 2009, 03:02:46 PM
Something recently popped up in 3RR that may be of interest:

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=112.msg271678#msg271678

It's not really a texture override. If you want to guess what's going on, the way the pieces turn blue before changing into FAR should be a giveaway :)

http://www.youtube.com/v/XiSrh05_MeM&hl=nl&fs=1

however, we're still experimenting with the different pros and cons of this method, so don't expect this to be done tomorrow...
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

RickD

I still don't get how it is done. But it looks complicated to do in game. Is it necessary to memorize all those drag-combinations? And what are the advantages of making the FAR draggable?

I must admit that I actually like puzzle pieces.  ::)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

superhands

I suppose some sort of FAQ would be included or a topic with pictures/videos, that shows what draggable intersections trigger the 'override'.

what are the advantages of making the FAR draggable you ask?

in fact, it reduces the need for using the tab key and menu clicking.. this means less time wasted on home/end keys and more time enjoying the game :thumbsup:

daeley

you can take it from me that this is a lot faster than plopping puzzle pieces, especially when you start needing various intersections.

the pieces aren't that hard to remember. Look at the movie: the base "straigh FAR" piece is 2 parallel stretches of road, 3 tiles long. All the others are simply variations.
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

Tarkus

Also, the puzzle pieces aren't going away, so if you still absolutely prefer that method, it'll be available.

-Alex

Shadow Assassin

The puzzle pieces are needed anyway for the AutoPlace function to work, aren't they?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

daeley

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on September 23, 2009, 08:42:37 PM
The puzzle pieces are needed anyway for the AutoPlace function to work, aren't they?

yup
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!