• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your . . . . current projects

Started by keithsed, February 08, 2007, 07:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortext

Quote from: mgb204 on July 19, 2016, 12:16:48 AM
[...] it's happening finally. Obviously the image is photoshopped a bit, for example the transition with the 270° bend doesn't actually exist (yet - maybe I add this).

Whoohoo - sorry couldn't resist.  ;D

But yeah a 225° bend (180+45 ;)) and other ortho-dia transition pieces are kinda necessary imho to make it work properly.

Other than that fantastic work. Who could've guessed so many years after CAL's incredible remaster we'd see diagonals for these canals as well!? Certainly not me. +1  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Manuel-ito

Fantastic work on the canals! :thumbsup:
I have been doing some re-lots of Maxis' ploppables since i felt they didn't age well in comparison with the great stuff made by the community. Right now it's a personal project, but I may share them in the future:
Some of the civic services:

Toll booths. I wish there was a prop that matches the PS Highways:

Freight train station, Grand rail and parking garage. And thanks to my image cropping skills, a bit of the passenger train station:

Sportsfields, large plaza and the open area lots:

Three of the landmarks. Not so sure about these ones, since I used aerial views of Google Maps as a reference and i had to guess some of the details:

vortext

Nice work modernizing the vanilla stuff, and great to see you incorporated NAM elements! :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

kbieniu7

I had similiar thoughts sometimes - there are some of very good buildings made by Maxis, but their lots sometimes doesn't fit today. Good luck with your project  :thumbsup:
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Manuel-ito

Thanks for the comments! :)
Working on more relots of Maxis stuff. Next up: schools:

Added walls to their yards to prevent the kids from walking off the school while on recess >:D. Also got rid of some parking spots since I felt they made the lots awkward to place realistically. May need to tinker more with the municipal university one. The Large Elementary School relot is outdated in this image: I removed that extra gym since I realized it already had one :-[
Hospitals and clinics:

For the clinic, I decided to replace the parking lot with a small patio, and the back of the building prompted me to add a short asphalt access. There's not many changes on the hospital besides the parking lot. Tried to simulate a front parking entrance with that storefront prop, covered some odd rendering of the main building with cp's stone wall props and added benches on the inside.
Passenger Rail station variants:

For these I decided to modify the stats of each variant, using the NAM version of the vanilla station as a reference. For instance, the compact one has 25% less costs and capacity, while the terminus one has 10% increased capacity and costs. The passenger stops is way cheaper but has much lower capacity in comparison, with the TE version having double to compensate for the fact that traffic that passes trough counts against it.
And finally, I uploaded the Grand Rail Station relot to the LEX. Feel free to point out any mistakes I possibly made :D

Themistokles

These look really good! :thumbsup: (Even despite them being maxis... :D) Especially the schools look great -- I'd actually think the large high school would be a very good W2W corner. The walls that you've added also fit very well. Regarding the one for the oldest students (college? I don't know what the English version of the game calls it $%Grinno$%) my only suggestion would be to add some excitement, like benches and maybe a big (non-Maxis :P) tree, to the small park area, instead of just some grass. But that being said, many real-world schools are horribly non-exciting places too, unfortunately.

The hospitals and train station I think are very good too. :) However, I think you should consider giving the stations some longer platforms, considering that most commuter train sets are at least 40 metres long (2 to 3 game squares) and that many commuter rail stations are built to be able to fit trains with double and sometimes even triple sets, i.e. with platform lengths greater than 80 metres (5 game squares), or even more. 5 game squares might be hard to achieve in the game, but at least 3 square platforms could be possible with a 1x1 station lot using overhanging platform props.

Anyway, I think this is a very good project and you have already made in my mind very good lots. Lastly, I hope that I have managed to convey these suggestion as the friendly piece of ideas as they are meant to be. :)
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Akallan

Your work is excellent, and I support the suggestions of Themistokles! You should publicize your lots, really! :thumbsup:
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

MushyMushy

Looks good! If I may, I might suggest for the college to remove any parking altogether and just provide a nice sitting area or something. Even a small college like that one would have a sizable parking lot (bigger than the 2x3 space not occupied by the building, I'd say), which could easily be made with the variety of modular parking sets at users' disposal.

mgb204

On the edge of town...

Kitsune

I'm restarting a project I havent really touched in 5 years. I've been waiting for the NAM to mature and its hit that point. Now I have to bring it up to my current levels, so first step: Leveling... err I mean dredging a Channel's bottom:

Region View:

~ NAM Team Member

FrankU

Hmmm... so you lower the sea level and then you use hole diggers and streets to level the water bottom. Tedious, but flexible. Nice....  :thumbsup:

Gugu3

art128

Tedious perhaps, but it gives you perfect control on how the shore should be.  :thumbsup:

Nice to see you again, Kitsune!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Kitsune

The nice thing is you trace out the original shore line with one road tile at a time and once you have everything done - you still have the original shoreline but now everything else is perfectly manicured. I tend to do the same thing for my cities as well to have flat land to develop.
~ NAM Team Member

noahclem

Great to see you back  :)

I frequently use a similar technique and can understand both the tediousness and the reasons for being precise with shorelines. One thing I'd suggest, to save you time, is either to be less precise with the middle portions of your water or to use the god-mode leveling tool for larger areas (adjustable by zooming, with shift, with CTRL, and with shift+a number). A mod is required to do it but should be easy enough to find, if you're not already familiar with it and are interested.

Kitsune

Yep I've done that for large area's - but I'm such a control freak that anything medium size or less its the road technique. To the point that even if I have an area .1 meter different ... it must be fixed.  :D
~ NAM Team Member

FrankU

Yeah, I understand that controlfreakishness. That is what computers can do to you. They do it to me, more or less.  :D
You can do things in such an exact way, the machines are designed for it, that you want to do it that perfect way.
It gives a certain feel of satisfaction that you can manipulate things. It's one of the main reasons why SC4 is so popular, I think.

Moe31

Hi everyone!

Well... Almost 7 years that I didn't play, but we always come back to it when we know how SC4 and this community have no other equivalent!  :)

Working on a new region, discovering and trying the latest features of this beautiful game!

More to come, but I need to try other stuff before!

Happy new year!

FrankU

Looking good Moe31!
Lots of seaport stuff I guess? Can you show details, please?

compdude787

Wow, that's an awesome looking seaport!!
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel