• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

VDK Christiansborg Palace Chapel

Started by vester, January 04, 2007, 05:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vester

Here is my last bat project:  Christiansborg Palace Chapel / Christiansborg Slotskirke.

In 1794 the castle Christiansborg burned, as well as the church.

The building of the present church was started in 1813 using the foundations and the rest of the walls of the old castle church.
The church was consecrated on Whitsunday, 1826.

In 1992 on the carneval in Copenhagen, fireworks sat the roof on fire.
The church was reconserated in the 14th jan, 1997 after it was renovated.

(Click on the images for enlargement)

bat

Nice building, fantastic work!

jacqulina

excellent work i love the details my friend

jeronij

Hi VDK, after a loooong look to the model, may I suggest you some improvements ?¿

The model is quite close to the original. unfortunately, we see the originals from the floor, and the SC4 models from the air. What we never see in reality from a building (the roof), is the most we see in the game. Sometimes you have to add some additional and fictional details from your own  ;) . I have some ideas for you  ;D

The roof texture: The first think I'd suggest is to reduce the texture scale to 50% at least. Or reduce them a bit anyway  ;) . The tiles look too big imo.
The texture itself looks a little bit plain...not plastic, but not realistic. After some years, the blue color would become a more green colour due to the rain. I can suggest you to play a little bit with your textures after reading this tutorial. I would also make the texture a bit darker, and maybe add more contrast as well.
Some more details, like rails, water drain off, pipelines, maybe some statues as well, dont overload it, but some more fine details would enchance the whole look of the model.
...end of suggestions.

The building body is not that finished yet, and I can see that there comes a lot of work to complete it, so I'll keep an eye in this development  ;)
I hope you find my suggestions useful.
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

vester

Thanks J.

I really haven't come around to working around with the textures.
Still doing the modeling, but I will sure be reading that tutorial of yours when I get around to it.
Have just start playing around with MAX, so that comes first.

Here is a rendering of what I have done so far:

TheTeaCat

Nice work your doing here vester. &apls
Watcjing his with interest!

:satisfied:
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

swi21

I know you have the habit to work a lot with modeling first and texturing after, but there are some buildings you need to create by using the textures as structural elemnts, i mean, you can use a nicely frontaly taken photo (or photoshopped) in order to build each one of your walls separately, by creating simple shapes as rectangles, triangles, circles, arcs and the attach tools, vertex connector and boolean. after that you give them thickness and the textures can easely been applied, directly taken from your reference image (again photoshopped, or simply using the UVW Map tool -resize and move the gizmo-)

I used to make my models like you, but the buildings miss some realism at the end and it's too bad, because the models look good from closer.

By the way, this is exactly the method Porkissimo uses for his BATs. And I'm sure you can find good reference pictures, there are lots of sites providing good pictures (flickr, webshots...)

By the way, your model IS very good and you should keep it this way, but I suggest you use real textures for your details.. I have lots of good stuff you could use. Also if you need a pilaster model for your front door, I have a corinthian I made for the Zeppeion.

I may do a tutorial for this method, if there isn't any that allready exists.

EDIT: Now that I'm looking at the real building, I see you don't need pilasters for the front... But you know now I have one, just in case---

jeronij

off topic:   swi21,I would be ver interested in a nice tutorial explaining this technique. Even I do usually not create buildings, I am sure it would be very useful for me  ;D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

vester

Well Jeronij, then we are two. I would like to see a tutorial on that.

Back on topic:

Here is an update:

Have been working on the staircase with textures. Have also made it a little bigger (deeper).
Has changed the texture on the roof and worked on the texture on the wall under the triangle roof around the front door.

Next I will start adding framing/ornament around the windows.

vester

Here is an update for you:

Notthing big, but it has taken it's time.

Looking forward to here what you have to say.

Alek King of SC4

wow it is only like 300% better  &dance

sebes

Well done Vester_DK. I have no clue about creating buildings and am flabbergasted how you do this!  :satisfied:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

jeronij

Hi VDK,

I just can say Chapeau  :thumbsup:

You made an excellent work with the roof textures indeed. And not only with the tiles if my eyes do not fake me  ;)

I´ll keep coming to see this development!!!

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

bat

The textures are looking more beautiful now!

vester

Here is an update:

As you can see I have played around with the UVW Map on the dome. Looks much better.
Have made the windows, added a top to the dome and got the front door in place.
and talking about the roof, I have added some edge to it.

What is missing ?

Well the back is just plain wall. Here will be added some windows, a door and some steps.

and of course: night light

Jeronij: The roof texture is not mine, but one Praiodan's. Thanks goes to him for letting me use it.

bat

The windows are looking better now! Looking forward to the end version!

Citynut

This is making great improvements - Look forward to seeing the finished model  ;D
I'm nutty and I Bat and they're coming for me with the white coats again

swi21

Yes in deed! this bat is realy getting near perfection! If I could just give an advise, the front wall under the portico is a bit too light, as far as i can see on my screen. You should maybe harmonize it with the other wall (photoshop it!). Also, the details on the grnd floor windows are a bit blury, if you could just refine the edges, that could be a small improvement. Otherwise I can't see anything else... Maybe if you want to be perfectionist, some water evacuation pipes along the walls (there should be some on the real building)...

Splendid work! Bravo!  :thumbsup:

jacqulina

Fledder200

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is too short to wear bad clothes...and ugly shoes!