• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

j-dub

but what's the point of having to wait to cross, then having to wait to go again  ()what() waste of gas and time that i would not be too happy about in reality, but interesting function in-game though

druidlove

I thought that too originally until I drove through the one at Loveland, CO: https://web.archive.org/web/20100912145935/http://www.ci.loveland.co.us/publicworks/Streets/CapProjSupport/NewMadisonEisenhower.htm

The purpose of a CFI is to eliminate the problem of left turns in the intersection, as well as the risk of accidents. In many cases, there are problems with land that could skew the intersection, or the nearby businesses that getting in or out impossible with traffic timing. While there are 2 lights for a left turn, you would only stop at one of the lights, usually the back light.

Wikipedia has some good illustrations on CFIs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous-flow_intersection

Akallan

Well, I think you all went crazy on the NAM team! :popcorn: I can watch this intersection for hours, so much so that it is impressive!
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

Wiimeiser

So that's a continuous flow? I heard there were plans to build something like that here at one stage, but I can't seem to find them...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Seaman

Quote from: j-dub on August 28, 2018, 10:55:14 AM
but what's the point of having to wait to cross, then having to wait to go again  ()what() waste of gas and time that i would not be too happy about in reality, but interesting function in-game though

As far as I can remember, the setup is actually quicker for going straight or turn right (when right hand driving) because you eleminate a complete signal phase at the main intersection.
My guess is, that the left hand turners actually do not loose mutch of their time (if any), because the 2 signals for them have only two signal phases which can be managed pretty efficiently.

From an engineers point of view and looking at the simulation results, this intersections is more efficient than a normal setup. It's not very common in most parts of the world because of increased consumption of space, higher cost of construction and possible confusion of drivers unfamiliar with this type of intersections (what might actually be a very good point).

Tarkus

Another little something here . . . implementation-wise, this is right now set to spring forth if one immediately transitions from Avenue to Road (over two tiles) after the intersection.

-Alex

Andreas

Interesting design, I always wanted to have some "better" method for attaching a road at such an avenue T intersection. However, what would happen if the straight part of the road was approaching the intersection on the left tile instead of the right one?
Andreas

Wiimeiser

Found another issue:

No paths in LHD (don't know about RHD) and the intersection is breaking

dyoungyn

Could this finally be flex curves for AVE 4.  Looks amazing.

Quote from: Tarkus on September 16, 2018, 12:44:43 AM
Another little something here . . . implementation-wise, this is right now set to spring forth if one immediately transitions from Avenue to Road (over two tiles) after the intersection.

-Alex

mgb204

Quote from: dyoungyn on November 08, 2019, 02:41:00 PM
Could this finally be flex curves for AVE 4.

I don't know of any new developments flex-wise regarding the Avenue WRCs, but this is an existing piece, find it in the Road / Curves menu. Avenue pieces are towards the end of the Tab-Ring, so using Shift + Tab to scroll in reverse order makes finding them quickest. Both 45° and 90° curves exist for Avenue. Likewise FA-AVE (Fractionally Angled) pieces exist in the appropriate menu also.

flann

Thought this thread deserved a bump

Wiimeiser

flann

Quote from: Wiimeiser on December 27, 2020, 03:13:19 AM
Nice. Though how will they work?

They will work by dragging OWR.  Essentially they replace the two-lane OWR connections in these particular scenarios.  If you draw OWR all the way through the intersection, it will revert to regular OWR however.

noahclem

That's really some great work you're getting done here  &apls  Very nice to see this area getting some attention and also to see a new, motivated, and talented creator cutting his teeth on the NAM!

+1  :thumbsup:

gn_leugim

matias93

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Terring7

This is something I always wanted and one of those things that I feel that the game should have already had them. If SimCity 3000 had those slip lanes...

...why not SimCity 4 too?

Keep up the good work, folks  &dance
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.