• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

ALN Bat4Max V3.0

Started by Diggis, March 05, 2009, 02:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggis

It's finally here.  Sorry about the delay, but I have finally uploaded Chris Adams BAT4MAX to the LEX: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1992

There are pretty good instructions for installation in the Zip file, but if you have any problems please post them here.  This has had a pretty rigourous testing process and the integration with GMAX makes life much easier.

callagrafx

Not to mention all of the neat little tricks that Chris did for us Mental Ray people.  Set this as a sticky topic as it will serve as the official help thread as Diggis has said.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

sim-al2

First Dumb Question: If there is a seperate module for GMAX, what does it improve over the standard BAT? Is it meant primarly for 3dsMAX users, or can it be used by itself for GMAX Batting (if you don't have 3dsMAX  ::))
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

Diggis

Quote from: sim-al2 on March 05, 2009, 08:45:03 PM
First Dumb Question: If there is a seperate module for GMAX, what does it improve over the standard BAT? Is it meant primarly for 3dsMAX users, or can it be used by itself for GMAX Batting (if you don't have 3dsMAX  ::))

Hmm, I'm not sure, but I think that the GMAX files also have a batch renderer for GMAX which doesn't require 3DS Max.

callagrafx

These scripts are intended to replace all previous incarnations of Bat4Max.  To ensure a proper install, make sure you delete any previous versions/installations of BAT4Max.  Quickest way is to dump the gamepacks folder and the CPTB2Startup.ms startup script. 
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

XiahouDun

Quote from: callagrafx on March 06, 2009, 04:50:34 AM
Quickest way is to dump the gamepacks folder and the CPTB2Startup.ms startup script. 
In the ...\Scripts\Startup folder, just to be specific
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

callagrafx

XiahouDun

Quote from: callagrafx on March 06, 2009, 04:57:10 AM
oops yeah...sorry.   &ops
Not a problem, the obsessing over details part of me got the mental image of someone going through the main folder looking for it, then installing the new BAT4Max thinking it was removed. Just thought that could prevent any issues that may come up :thumbsup:
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

swat-medic

Great work on this, and thanks a lot!  :thumbsup:

SimFox

Is there somewhere a list of features or new additions?

WC_EEND

Now I can finally render stuff in the BAT
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

callagrafx

Quote from: SimFox on March 07, 2009, 03:56:13 AM
Is there somewhere a list of features or new additions?

Not a definitive one...Chris went MIA before he completed a readme.  After using it extensively, I'll try and list the features I know about, and Diggis can maybe explain about the batch and GMAX integration.  Also, the setup is much improved, but that's already documented.  This is all off the top of my head atm.

LOD Utilities. 
A series of tools to help with LOD creation, such as the ability to select an object or multiple objects and make a skin-tight LOD...excellent for water models.
LOD export tools that will send the LOD files to a .3ds file (named as the .max file) then will auto-launch BAT.  You still have to import the LOD files

Lighting
Added support for different lighting rigs (included) that can be selected via pulldown menu.  Includes a fix for MR Sun/sky that prevents ever darkening scenes.
Support for Trunite, 2 pass and 3 pass night rendering.  Mental ray fully supported up to Max 2008.

Previews
Proper day & night previews based on LOD size, as you would get in BAT/GMAX.  Also added the ability to preview in persective mode, either day or night.  This will activate nightlights, including nightlibraries.  Invaluable for testing nightlighting

Under the Hood
Not sure exactly what's been done, but I know the gamma issue has been corrected and a lot of the "dead wood" has been removed.  Also there is no need for the deltree any more...the script will automatically clear outputfiles.

Batch export
A method where Max scenes are set up in a queue that match to a rendered output queue in BAT.  This allows multiple scenes to be rendered in one go, including FSH conversion.  As mentioned, Diggis has tested this part and is better placed to explain it better than me.

There are loads of other new nifty features that I cannot remember off-hand how they work (such as templates)....I suggest you download, install and have a look-see.

Diggis

BATCH RENDERER

With the batch renderer, you select the files you wish to export, (best to name them as you want the prop to be named, no spaces of course) and export the LODS.  This will fire up GMAX where you can batch export the exported files.  You then copy the names of the SC4Model files into a text file and then hit export on Max and go get a beer.  The last part is very important for those over 18.  Under 18, milk and cookies.

TEMPLATES

You can now select a template before rendering with any advanced setting you want in there.  This is especially useful in conjunction with the Batch renderer which will allow all the files to be rendered with exactly the same settings.  If you do not wish to do this BAT4MAX will just use the current ones. 

This also helps to prevent the issue of FSHman using the wrong GID on rerenders.

Cockatoo-210893

Thanks for the quick reply Lee. I guess your right - I'll just have to try out both versions and make the decision myself. Ease of use it defiantly a high priority, but I'm also going to take into account the points Simfox made. We'll see.

callagrafx

There is a presumption with these scripts that you already know how to set up a mental ray environment for rendering.  Once you have that, simply save either as a template or as a scene preset that you can load in every time you want to render.  As I said, anything you need help with, just ask  :thumbsup:

francis90b

Hello, i would like to know the improvements that BAT4MAX can offer to gmax.
Thank you.

Diggis

Francis,  BAT4MAX is an addon for 3DS Max, which is the full, professional version.  GMAX is a cut down version of Max, with many many options removed.  To use BAT4MAX you need to have access to 3DS Max first.  The advantages of using full Max over GMAX is access to the full range of tools.

SimFox highlighted some issues with the lighting Rigs, which I think were the default Rigs from V2.  I'll look into this with Lee and update if necessary.

As for supporting this, yes, Chris is MIA.  However the scripts are solid, they work.  I have used them since August at least, with no problems.  I wouldn't have released this if I thought there were going to be script issues.  I anticipate any problems to be installation and use issues.  These Lee and I can easily answer.

I haven't used SimFox's scripts, but from what I understand Chris's scripts add more functions like the LOD creation, Rendering Templates and Batch renderer.  I use these constantly and can't imagine not having them again.  I can't really comment on the night lighting issues, I think that SimFox is possibly being a little fussy there, in game the difference is likely to be unnoticable.  As I mentioned above, he did highlight a valid issue with the Lighting Rigs which we will look into.

francis90b

Thanks, but looking at that statement "There are two basic parts to this, one for Max and one for Gmax, which can be installed independantly of each other." that is the first phrase after the title "lot description" in the BAT4MAX download, i' ve thought that the part for gmax can give some improvements to rendering, even for gmax.

Diggis

Ahhh, sorry mate, missunderstood you.  &ops

I will need to check exactly what has been added to GMAX by Chris, but I think the main thing is the Batch Renderer.  He may also have added the LOD utilities but not sure as I use Max.

Diggis

Thanks Lee.  Are you able to correct the Huge Rig?  Do you have a legacy version of Max to do that on?  We would probably want to do it in Max 6 or 7 as I know there are people still using that.