• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: packersfan on September 22, 2014, 10:44:26 PM
Currently there is FAR 2 which shifts 1 tile every 2 tiles and FAR 3 which shifts 1 tile every 3 tiles.  I extensively use the step method in my cities and it would be great to someday be able to shift to FAR for these roads but often my steps are not FAR 2 or FAR 3, but more like FAR 4, FAR 5, FAR 10.  Is it possible?  Could a new FAR angle be introduced each version?

There's a bit of math involved with what FA2 and FA3 even mean.

First of all, the bigger the number in FA(x) is, the longer each successive FA straight piece needs to be. On the other hand, the closer the number in FA(x) is to 1, the smaller each section is, but also, the closer each section is to 45 degrees. Plus, we can't do anything like FAR-5 because not only the angles would be too obscure but the pieces are just too big to make.

Second, we already have a plan on long-term FANdev: it's called the Nine Degree Plan. All Fractionally Angled Networks shall be limited to the following angles:

FA6 - Representative of 9 and 81 degrees; sections have a rise/run of 1/6 and 6/1
FA3 - Representative of 18 and 72 degrees; sections have a rise/run of 1/3 and 3/1
FA2 - Representative of 27 and 63 degrees; sections have a rise/run of 1/2 and 2/1
FA1.5 - Representative of 36 and 54 degrees; sections have a rise/run of 2/3 and 3/2

In addition to that, you have FA1 and FA0

FA1 - Representative of 45 degrees; section have a rise/run of 1/1 and 1/1; also known as diagonal.
FA0 - Representative of 0 and 90 degrees; sections have a rise/run of 0 and undefined; also known as orthogonal.

If you plotted all of those onto a graph and put a circle in the middle, you'd get a circle with 36 slices, each one being ~9 degrees. This is the Nine Degree Plan, or rather the full extent of the 9 Degree Plan.

I apologise for the hasty reply; I had a diagram for this but it turns out I lost it.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

belfastsocrates

Quote from: memo on April 27, 2014, 03:01:01 AM
If this gets implemented at some point, it is likely that the entire lightrail network needs to be given an overhaul, like what the RRW is doing for the rail network.

That would be very exciting!

It would be fantastic to see light rail enhanced and developed with features such as overhead cables. The work being done on RRW is magnificent.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on September 22, 2014, 11:15:04 PM
FA1.5 - Representative of 36 and 54 degrees; sections have a rise/run of 2/3 and 3/2
Pardon the nitpicking, but technically, FA1.5 would be closer to 34° and 56°, going by the arctangents of those rise/run figures. To get closer to the intended 36° and 54°, the rise/runs would have to be 3/4 and 4/3, which would really make it FA1.333... (or perhaps FA1.3 for brevity's sake).

Of course, given that the difference between FA1.5 and FA1.333 is very small, it might just be acceptable, especially when the more accurate pieces would have to be larger.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: woodb3kmaster on September 24, 2014, 06:36:33 PM
Pardon the nitpicking, but technically, FA1.5 would be closer to 34° and 56°, going by the arctangents of those rise/run figures. To get closer to the intended 36° and 54°, the rise/runs would have to be 3/4 and 4/3, which would really make it FA1.333... (or perhaps FA1.3 for brevity's sake).

Of course, given that the difference between FA1.5 and FA1.333 is very small, it might just be acceptable, especially when the more accurate pieces would have to be larger.

Yeah, I know; I brought it up with the others ages ago that FA1.3 would be more accurate, but the consensus was to stick with FA1.5.
<INACTIVE>
-----

fefenc

I wished that some NWM road pieces got a bit of attention on the NAM release after finishing up the RHW development because there are some bugs on it that breaks my heart, making impossible to use some nice roads styles in a nice way in some ocasions (I'm not talking about the elevated roads, I'm talking about some NWM roads tile reverting back to the odd maxis road style, mainly at crossroads) T_T

At least the researches that the NAM team is doing with RHW may help developing NWM draggable pieces in the future :)

EDIT: I'm pumped for the NAM 33.0, nice job NAM team, may the new RHW-2 draggable pieces reduces the mental fatigue that I get everytime I need to build a cloverleaf interchange :D  &apls  &apls  &apls

Indiana Joe

Quote from: fefenc on December 09, 2014, 06:46:21 PM
I wished that some NWM road pieces got a bit of attention on the NAM release after finishing up the RHW development because there are some bugs on it that breaks my heart, making impossible to use some nice roads styles in a nice way in some ocasions (I'm not talking about the elevated roads, I'm talking about some NWM roads tile reverting back to the odd maxis road style, mainly at crossroads) T_T

At least the researches that the NAM team is doing with RHW may help developing NWM draggable pieces in the future :)

EDIT: I'm pumped for the NAM 33.0, nice job NAM team, may the new RHW-2 draggable pieces reduces the mental fatigue that I get everytime I need to build a cloverleaf interchange :D  &apls  &apls  &apls

NWM intersections saw some work a few months back.  There might be some things that make it into v33.

jdenm8

I wished that some NWM road pieces got a bit of attention on the NAM release after finishing up the RHW development

We don't go "That's the RHW done, time to release!"

We work on what we want to work on. That generally involves improving the RHW's stability and ease of use. Most of the time we just pick a date then try to get the bugs out of whatever we've made by that date. The little attention the NWM has received is mostly because Tarkus has been busy with IRL stuff.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

GDO29Anagram

I wished that some NWM road pieces got a bit of attention on the NAM release after finishing up the RHW development because there are some bugs on it that breaks my heart
Quote from: jdenm8 on December 09, 2014, 09:21:31 PM
We work on what we want to work on. That generally involves improving the RHW's stability and ease of use. Most of the time we just pick a date then try to get the bugs out of whatever we've made by that date. The little attention the NWM has received is mostly because Tarkus has been busy with IRL stuff.

You've to also add to the fact that there's a massive rebasing of a lot of the main NWM networks, so practically all of the NWM bugs you're seeing now will not be fixed without remaking the entire NWM from scratch, and that's not an easy task since, not only many of us are busy, but we haven't come to a consensus on what the future NWM plans will be, and with a lot of us being busy, it's gonna be even harder to come to a consensus.

Also, that's also dependent, as mentioned, on what we want to work on. My priorities are still very high on decomissioning nearly all of the RHW puzzle pieces, and that's a task that can't be completed within one dev cycle, but would take many dev cycles, and I don't wanna just switch projects and leave something unfinished.

Yeah, there's a bajillion more projects in the NAM that deserve attention, but not only are they projects that would deserve to be redone entirely in the Flex paradigm, there's simply no physical way to do so without it running into our own personal lives.
<INACTIVE>
-----

Tarkus

Also, RHW development will never really be "finished", per se.  Of course, neither will NWM development or any other NAM project that we haven't officially ceased.

As Ganaram mentioned, there's some major structural stuff we have to figure out with the NWM before we return to activity on it, as far as the IID scheme and implementation.  When you're referring to NWM networks "reverting back to the odd maxis road style, mainly at crossroads", to which crossroads do you refer?  From our discussions, the big thing the NWM lacks presently is intersections involving diagonals, and those are going to be very difficult, and pose a lot of issues,  They become extremely difficult when one starts discussing T-intersections involving diagonal NWM networks.

-Alex

fefenc

Well, a orthogonal NWM crossroads that involves 1 road piece and 1 street piece making a crossroad "+" and some roads like ave-6 reverting back to the maxis road when I cross 3 railroads on it (only the pieces at the second railroad reverts back to the maxis road).

I can understand all your points, since the members are saying that they would need to redo all entire NWM from scratch, it would be a ton of work that would require a lot of planning to do at only one release. RHW is being dev'd for years and we can feel that it has things to improve like the easily draggable pieces feature that someone here is already doing.

I enjoy the organization of the NAM team :)

Tarkus

Quote from: fefenc on December 10, 2014, 05:12:30 AM
Well, a orthogonal NWM crossroads that involves 1 road piece and 1 street piece making a crossroad "+" and some roads like ave-6 reverting back to the maxis road when I cross 3 railroads on it (only the pieces at the second railroad reverts back to the maxis road).

We never really included those types of intersections in the NWM plans, thinking that people would just extend the normal Road out another tile (which often happens with such roads in widening projects).

-Alex

roadgeek

Quote from: Indiana Joe on December 09, 2014, 09:11:36 PM
NWM intersections saw some work a few months back.  There might be some things that make it into v33.

Oh this is incredible news!!!!  &apls &apls &apls :bnn: :thumbsup:

roadgeek

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on December 09, 2014, 09:56:54 PM
Also, that's also dependent, as mentioned, on what we want to work on. My priorities are still very high on decomissioning nearly all of the RHW puzzle pieces, and that's a task that can't be completed within one dev cycle, but would take many dev cycles, and I don't wanna just switch projects and leave something unfinished.

I would love to help...Can you post a tutorial on decomissioning on YouTube?

Thanks,
Dan

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: roadgeek on January 08, 2015, 08:52:18 PM
I would love to help...Can you post a tutorial on decomissioning on YouTube?

There's not much to explain about it: remove the entries for the puzzle pieces from the tab rings so to stop people from seeing them, possibly reassign those entries for new pieces so as to discourage people from reassigning them to the old pieces or even remove the button entirely, and if possible, wait a few years and reuse the old IIDs for new projects.

Decommissioning's happened before with the RHW overpass puzzle pieces and the old SPUI piece, and user education should be able to teach people why we want to decommission those features.
<INACTIVE>
-----

roadgeek

Quote from: Indiana Joe on December 09, 2014, 09:11:36 PM

Would like to see some pics. I cleaned up the last slobber, and I am ready to drool some more.

Tarkus

There was only a little bit, and it was way back in July of last year . . . it's going to remain under wraps mainly as we don't want to falsely raise anyone's hopes at this point, especially as none of it will make it into NAM 33.

The main focus right now is getting NAM 33 up to pre-release state.  There's been a lot of RL, a lot of minor technical things, and a few hurdles with our file depository systems.  The only real big thing I'm interested in doing RHW-wise going forward is getting the FLEXWidth Transitions and a few minor things in place, and I'll be pivoting more toward the NWM, Draggable Road Viaducts, and (the successor to) TuLEPs.

-Alex

compdude787

Do you think that we can expect the pre-release to be ready in a month or so? I won't really hold you to it, but I just want to get a general idea of how close NAM 33 is to being ready.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Tarkus

It's been a really weird development cycle, especially as much RL as there has been on the team since NAM 32, which makes it hard to really say (perhaps even more so than usual).  There's one little file architecture thing to figure out, pertaining to the INRUL compilation, we're looking to nuke the 32-bit boot.ini prompts that are in the installer, and there was the hope that we'd be able to do a little internal testing once the installer was buildable, to knock out any last obvious stupid things (to avoid the 5-minutes-after buzzkill).

-Alex

eggman121

Long time no post here.

These will make it into a future NAM!

They are FlexCurves for the Road tool which will form the basis of new NWM curves. By nature they will have the capacity to be overridden so the NWM networks will be able to take advantage of the new curves.

Keen to see what people make of these  ;D

-eggman121