• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Actually, I've found it, and it is a UV-mapping issue on the Zoom 2 S3D--0x5046A021.  Try the following attached below and see if it works for you.  I've already gotten it fixed in the NAM Version 30 working files.

-Alex

marsh

Thank you tarkus. Glad you got it fixed so fast. :)

,marsh

pimmapman

Wouldn't it be possible to have a puzzle piece based highway over avenue with puzzle pieces, where the upper deck is actually converted to another transit type when it's up there? That way you can still have intersections at the bottom, and the top would never really have many anyway, and the ones that it does have, you could make out of basic puzzle pieces. I've never done any of this before, but from what I know, I think that could work.

Tarkus

Quote from: pimmapman on July 19, 2011, 09:24:34 AM
Wouldn't it be possible to have a puzzle piece based highway over avenue with puzzle pieces, where the upper deck is actually converted to another transit type when it's up there? That way you can still have intersections at the bottom, and the top would never really have many anyway, and the ones that it does have, you could make out of basic puzzle pieces. I've never done any of this before, but from what I know, I think that could work.

Both of the decks would still have car paths.  It's not a matter of what network they're based on, but what transit type is using them that affects deck-jumping.  Sorry, but same-direction double-decks just aren't going to happen.

-Alex

marsh

Not really an issue but a question. Why are puzzle pieces different then draggable textures? Probably have already answered this before but I'm just curious. :P

,marsh

Tarkus

Quote from: marsh on July 24, 2011, 10:33:32 AM
Not really an issue but a question. Why are puzzle pieces different then draggable textures? Probably have already answered this before but I'm just curious. :P

,marsh

Are you referring to the difference between textures used on puzzle piece and those on draggable items?  That has to do with the fact that puzzle pieces have to be model-based items, and the game's lighting engine handles models differently.  Actually, the game slightly darkens textures on draggable network items, and renders them identically to the source on models.  Typically, though, the procedure is to darken textures applied to models so they match with the draggables.

If you're referring to their implementation, puzzle pieces are handled entirely by RUL0, while all other non-bridge RUL file (RUL1, RUL2, all IndRULs) deal with draggable networks.

-Alex

ivo_su

Hello all here.
I want to ask a question interesting to me and I will be happy if someone tell me in detail. I always wondered how who gathered the NAM team, who gave the idea, what were the original objectives, what improvements have been made in version 1 of NAM? How do you understand the mechanisms for working with networks and so on. I would be interested to be told this exciting story of the most popular Sim City team.

Regards,
Ivo

marsh

Ah, I see. Thank you for explaining that. :)

Andreas

Quote from: ivo_su on July 24, 2011, 11:54:53 AM
I want to ask a question interesting to me and I will be happy if someone tell me in detail. I always wondered how who gathered the NAM team, who gave the idea, what were the original objectives, what improvements have been made in version 1 of NAM? How do you understand the mechanisms for working with networks and so on. I would be interested to be told this exciting story of the most popular Sim City team.

Have a look at the "Credits" and "History" files of the NAM Readme. They tell you who the founders of the NAM were, and which were the first additions to this mod. Over the years, the NAM Team has recruited a lot of talented people who were interested in transit modding and posted their works in one of the popular SC4 forums. In some cases, they offered to include their works into the NAM, in other cases, the NAM Team asked if they may include their work. Any SC4 modding is based on in-depth research and lots of trial & error, for which people spent countless hours, days, months, or even years, looking at existing files (with the Reader mostly), trying to understand the file structure, and how the individual files are set up.
Andreas

DamienM23

I found this on Tout SimCites. It was part of a readme for the file in the link. I have no idea where to find the darkened puzzle piece. Is it from NAM? If not, is there any idea where it can be found?

http://www.toutsimcities.com/downloads.php?view=1713

Tarkus

It was a puzzle piece that manchou (who is a NAM Team member) developed some time ago.  The piece does work and we have the RUL entries and everything, but it currently doesn't have any North American textures, which it'd need before release.

-Alex

DamienM23

Thank you!  &apls It's great to know the answer now. Is it known whether it will be included in NAM v. 30?

Shadow Assassin

QuoteIs it known whether it will be included in NAM v. 30?

Even if it isn't included now, it's a very simple matter to reactivate the piece (as we have everything we need, it just needs textures and these are easy to do!).

So, chances are, it could be included in NAM v.30.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

kbieniu7

Last time, I was building roads, I got an idea. I'm not sure, where to ask, so I'm wirting here.
Wouldn't it be possible to make Euro textures for roads, but with double solid line, instead of single solid line dividing opposite directions? Just like in maxis US version, but white instead of yellow?
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Shadow Assassin

QuoteWouldn't it be possible to make Euro textures for roads, but with double solid line, instead of single solid line dividing opposite directions? Just like in maxis US version, but white instead of yellow?

What, like Australian style? :P

Yeah, it's possible, but someone actually has to do it. ;)
New Horizons Productions

kbieniu7

Like Australian and like Polish also  :P

It was an idea, if texture mods would be edited, or some new ones would be make.
Well, I could offer myself just to edit graphics - I don't have any knowlege about modding - but I guess that making them with high quality needs something else than simple photoshop edition.
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Shadow Assassin

Really, all you need is Photoshop and a FSH export/import plugin, the latter of which is available on the LEX.

You also need to know the IDs you're editing.

It's a fairly simple job, but it is quite tedious.
New Horizons Productions

DaveN

Hello.

I hope to write a good topic. NAM is a great addition to SC4, but I have a few questions and suggestions.

1st.
Is it possible to create such smooth corners, etc. for one-way roads. The entire set as all two-way for roads. It would be a great diversion, and certainly it would be a lot of takers. Gave to this game even more realistic.

2nd.
The next question is which rises from me, or on gentle curves would be able to create intersections? For example, road 3x3 arc turns. Is it possible to go away from that path. Something like the picture shown below?

And in both cases that such one-way or two-way roads could also create an intersection of the street?

3rd.
Another question. Whose would be able to vary the texture of the GLR tracks, in addition to the standard, you can lay tracks on a substrate such as grass, as is the alley? And to make it possible to change, depending on your needs, or would the game have several choices of ground tracks.

4th.
Another issue also relates GLR track. It is possible to lay the tracks, without widening the roadway on one type of cobblestones. Can I create the same opportunity to other textures of the streets.

5th.
One last thing associated with the GLR tracks. In Poland, though perhaps in other countries also, quite often you can meet single GLR track, running one lane, the direction of the right-hand or left hand. Would such a possibility, such a solution would also add to the puzzles NAM?

In addition, if is technically feasible, to diversify the intersection of roads, streets and avenues of different variant of the GLR track.

I hope that such solutions are feasible and will meet all the normal functions of the game. It would be a lot more possibilities.

Yours sincerely. And I hope that for some time to live to see such an addition to upgrade NAM.

jdenm8

Quote from: DaveN on August 17, 2011, 12:13:29 PM
Hello.

I hope to write a good topic. NAM is a great addition to SC4, but I have a few questions and suggestions.

1st.
Is it possible to create such smooth corners, etc. for one-way roads. The entire set as all two-way for roads. It would be a great diversion, and certainly it would be a lot of takers. Gave to this game even more realistic.
I think OWR doesn't have pieces like the other networks due to the complexity of OWR puzzle pieces (At present, I think there's only about 9 in the developmental build, all to do with Trams.

2nd.
The next question is which rises from me, or on gentle curves would be able to create intersections? For example, road 3x3 arc turns. Is it possible to go away from that path. Something like the picture shown below?

And in both cases that such one-way or two-way roads could also create an intersection of the street?
If the curves are converted over the WaveRIDE, then it's likley. Until then (if it does happen) it won't.

3rd.
Another question. Whose would be able to vary the texture of the GLR tracks, in addition to the standard, you can lay tracks on a substrate such as grass, as is the alley? And to make it possible to change, depending on your needs, or would the game have several choices of ground tracks.
We may have something up our sleeves for this one... :D

4th.
Another issue also relates GLR track. It is possible to lay the tracks, without widening the roadway on one type of cobblestones. Can I create the same opportunity to other textures of the streets.
It's a good idea and something I've tried before (Changing them to asphalt), but it's difficult as I don't have the original PSDs (or vectors) and those that do tend to be more interested in expansion than diversification.

5th.
One last thing associated with the GLR tracks. In Poland, though perhaps in other countries also, quite often you can meet single GLR track, running one lane, the direction of the right-hand or left hand. Would such a possibility, such a solution would also add to the puzzles NAM?
I think it was discussed a while ago but I can't remember the outcome. I think it was 'maybe but not soon'.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

I started working on some OWR curves a couple years ago, but I didn't have the paths working quite the way I wanted, and kind of got lost in the shuffle over time, so they've never been finished.  They'll come to fruition eventually.  When "eventually" is, I'm not certain.

-Alex