• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

A nice little trick I discovered with a OWR-2 converging into an AVE-4

Started by Pythias900KMB, August 24, 2018, 11:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pythias900KMB

Many salutations, everybody!!!  I just came home from selling a liter of plasma and having much of the day to cool out at home even though I missed by a heartbeat a coach I needed for my home commute . . .

At any rate, I discovered something rather interesting;  behold the attached screen capture!

Pythias900KMB

In order to execute this kind of junction, the first thing you should do is draw a nice length of orthogonal AVE-4 like in the provided screen capture.

Pythias900KMB

Secondly, evoke your RHW Disconnect tile and execute the revision you see in the provided screen capture.  Remember, you only need to do it to the side where you want the junction.

Pythias900KMB

The third step is where attentive dexterity is especially important.  Make certain that the convergent OWR-2 is two tiles away and draw a short segment of Road of two contiguous tiles like I have done in the provided screen capture.

Pythias900KMB

Finally, hook up the OWR-2 and the AVE-4; if you have done everything correctly, you should have something like in the accompanying screen capture.  Congratulations!!!

Postscript: If you want to have two of these junctions right across from each other, you can definitely do that.  Just repeat the demonstrated process on the other side.

Seaman

Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't know about that possibility, but I will surely look into it!

Also, thanks for providing a step by step guide and pictures.

To make your next guide look even better, I suggest you start to use an external image hosting platform like imgur. They do have their drawbacks, but you can easily integrate your pictures in one post, define the size they will be shown and help to keep the size of the SC4D site reasonable (lower cost).

To use something like imgur, just go to their website and upload your pictures for free. You can use the drag and drop technique in your browser to upload the pictures. After that, you can get the link to that picture in the BBcode format (used in this forum).

Then, in order to use the links in your post, you can simply copy paste them into your post to look like this:
bla bla bla here is your text ...
[img]https://i.imgur.com/PqCIbeg.jpg[/img]

... and then you can continue to write your post

Finally, you can set the size you want your pictures to be shown. Please note, that the forum rules states, that you should not post pictures with more than 1024 pxls in width.
You can achieve this without downsizing your original picture by adding "width=1024" to your link to look like this:

[img width=1024]https://i.imgur.com/PqCIbeg.jpg[/img]

By that, users can click on your picture to enjoy full size, but don't get slammed by big pictures immediatly. Note, that sometimes it is more practical to add pictures smaller than 1024 pxls in width. 500 pxls, for example, look like this:

I hope it helps!

PaPa-J

@Pythias900KMB:  Thank you for the nice tip and tutorial.  This will be really helpful.
@Seaman:  Thank you as well.  This will really come in handy.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

Pythias900KMB

Gratitude for the positive feedback!  i will definitely look into this and make the necessary revisions; still, I need to write up a diatribe for the municipal transit company when it has its Tuesday night board meeting.

Wiimeiser

So does this mean the RHW Disconnector is RHW X Avenue based, then? I think it's an intersection, anyway...

Maybe this should be doable just by making the last cross-tile section a road, like the other case?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on August 25, 2018, 09:59:04 PM
So does this mean the RHW Disconnector is RHW X Avenue based, then? I think it's an intersection, anyway...

Maybe this should be doable just by making the last cross-tile section a road, like the other case?

The Disconnector actually has multiple CheckType setups underlying it--RHW by itself, and essentially every combination of RHW and another network (save for Water Pipes and Subway).  Each combination is set up as its own rotation, and the game auto-resolves the RULs to match what it finds underneath the cursor.  The only thing it won't work on is combinations in which there are two non-RHW networks (which is planned to be addressed with the addition of new Disconnectors in the future.)

You are also correct that the Disconnector is not required to build this intersection--the standard SITAP approach (simply transitioning from OWR to Road just before the intersection) will do the trick, even when doing this on both sides.  It also works with the Road-based multi-tile NWM networks (TLA-5, RD-4, RD-6, TLA-7, and AVE-6--the latter two require a trick of dragging the Road all the way through the network).

-Alex