• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Plowing the Fields (a more suitable name for Farm Works)

Started by Lowkee33, April 24, 2011, 03:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowkee33

Finaltable's question and the following conversation got me thinking, and today I tried it out.

Farms consist of the Farm Lot and the Field Lot.  For a farm to grow, one must zone at least 16 field lots more than the size of the farm lot.  What is the relationship between using the Ctrl key while zoning and farms?  Do field lots have to be 1x1?

Hopefully FrankU wont kick me, but this looks like the beginning of a new friendship:

Teaser Gif

By using Ctrl to zone the farm lot and each field lot, the field lots can be larger then 1x1.  Constraints so far:  All fields are oriented in the direction of the farm.  Failure to zone properly has dire effects on the game (that same seemingly immortal texture/prop syndrome).  Also, a similar problem that doesn't make any sense that I haven't been able to isolate.

@Cogeo et al: Other than the constraints these fields dezone/demolish just fine.  The similar problem is identified using the demolish tool, and it would not select the entire field.  This wouldn't happen to every field that grew.  &mmm

Massive farming via fields:

I went to work on the SG field props.  The most straight forward field lot seems to be 1x6 (or something like that).  This makes the entire field not too big, but also allows for rows like I did in the gif (which use 6 prop exemplars with different durations).  Many possibilities, but a 1x? using SG props is probably a good place to start.  Any thoughts? 

The modding I can do, the problem is that I feel that the SG props are timed all wrong (like the interval not being 365 days).  I would like to do this right, but I don't know the lengths of times or when certain crops grow.

If someone with some farming knowledge could tell me when they think the SG crops should appear and disappear, would you let me know?  Thanks  :)   

FrankU

Hey, this is an interesting development.

And you know I would never ever kick you! (Don't even know where to find you if I wanted to)

I have experimented a bit by making a farmfield sized 1x4 with Tag_One's Glasshouses on it. I worked the classic way and found out that the farmfields grew as if they were 1x1, so the glasshouses overlapped each other and the streets around the farm. It didn't work, but now you apparently found a way that would make them grow correctly. It would be nice to have a farm with these glass houses.

I also edited some of SG's models and props: I made new exemplars and edited the timing so that the crops grow more or less in correct times. They are on my farm fields. Shall I send you the props?

Lowkee33

QuoteI also edited some of SG's models and props: I made new exemplars and edited the timing so that the crops grow more or less in correct times. They are on my farm fields. Shall I send you the props?

That would be great.  Thanks :)

Another idea popped into my head.  All of our farms are "out" industrial buildings.  I wonder what I can screw up by changing that.