• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Empire Bay: Green Meadows

Started by RickD, February 03, 2012, 03:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Framly

Great development of this area! The Harbor looks awesome ;)

Weiter so &apls

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team

RickD

Previously on Empire Bay:
A small settlement has been founded on Empire Island. With the first coal mine in operation it is growing rapidly.

A Town Emerges

Empire Bay, population: 3.109

The settlement is expanding so fast that no real planning is done. The Empire Mining Co. is mostly interested in their business. People build their houses and shacks were there is land available.

A church has been built for the religious needs of the population. It's tower is currently the highest structure in Empire Bay.
The mansion next to it is home to Jonathan H. Filmore. He is in charge of the Empire Mining Co's local operations and could be considered the region's governor.

Murphy's Bar is as popular as ever. No night without a brawl between drunk miners and even drunker sailors.
The old generator had to be replaced by a larger one.

The docks have also been expanded and several businesses opened up on Dock Road.

A few workshops along Harbor Street.
Sorry about the Menu.  &ops

The settlement now has water supply. How generous of the Empire Mining Co.

The bay is rich in fish. Many people have small boats and go fishing to add variety to the food rations (mostly potatoes and cabbage).

Next on Empire Bay:
The rapid growth is causing logistic problems. The ships can't bring in enough building materials and supplies. How can this be solved?

Replies:

Quote from: JonM on February 21, 2012, 04:52:49 PM
This is incredible! so realistic looking, I am blown away! Can't wait to see more    &apls ;D
Thanks for the praise.  ()stsfd()

Quote from: io_bg on February 22, 2012, 12:49:48 AM
Great new update! Very realistic stuff indeed; I particularly like the rail line. I'm eager to see the next update too :P :thumbsup:
Glad you like it, Ioan.

Quote from: carlfatal on February 22, 2012, 02:22:35 AM
Hi Rick,
wonderful pictures for every rail geek!  &apls &apls
But You´re much too fast for me as i missed to comment the last update...   &mmm
Keep up the good work,
greetz, Carl
Hehe. I have some updates in stock that I need to get out. I am on the edge of losing track of everything.  ::)

Quote from: art128 on February 22, 2012, 02:26:57 AM
Hello there, Rick!

What a beautiful update you have there, everything is very well placed. The only thing I don't really like is that giant slope for the railway on the 5.3 picture. ;)
Ugh ... that slope.  %wrd Now this is embarassing. I had already improved the slope but I forgot to take a picture of it.  &ops

Quote from: Dantes on February 22, 2012, 06:29:58 AM
I like the dirthy harbor  :) Great LE-Work  :thumbsup: The railway ist fantastic created  :o
Thanks you, Dantes.

Quote from: bat on February 22, 2012, 07:07:53 AM
Great work on the mine and harbor! Looking forward to the 6th update... ;)
Thanks!

Quote from: rooker1 on February 22, 2012, 09:17:40 AM
I really like this logging community you have come up with.  The way that you have put it all together makes it look very believable.
Great work!!
Robin &apls
I am glad it worked out. Thank you.

Quote from: noahclem on February 22, 2012, 10:56:30 AM
Nice job on the last updates  &apls  I particularly like the rails  :thumbsup:
Thanks, Noah.  :)

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 22, 2012, 02:17:39 PM
Yeah, awesome work here! Nice little yard there and industrial line through the wilderness. Although I have to agree with Arthur concerning that slope there. Maybe a more restrictive slope mod?

Cheers,
Willy
Glad you like it. And the slope ... as I said, I improved it before the update but forgot to take a new picture.  &ops I'll include it in one of the next updates.

Quote from: jgehrts on February 23, 2012, 09:36:30 AM
I'm absolutely stunned by the detail. You're really outdoing yourself!
Thank you.

Quote from: Ricky112233 on February 23, 2012, 03:35:07 PM
Huge metropolis, eh? $%Grinno$%
I guess I know what to expect in 10 updates or so. ::)

Anyway, I like how you made that railroad, and the harbor too! ;)

I love how you thought about the villagers' "needs" :thumbsup:

-Ricky
Still no Metropolis.  ()sad() But we are getting there. *puts on sleazy used car salesman smile* Trust me.

Quote from: Framly on February 23, 2012, 05:06:59 PM
Great development of this area! The Harbor looks awesome ;)

Weiter so &apls
Thanks! Auf jeden Fall.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

apeguy

Another great update, Empire Bay sure is expanding. ;D

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

noahclem

Great update!! I love the caption with the drunken brawling  :D  Loving the new MD and looking forward to more   &apls

Kergelen

Great development pictures!
I like the docks and specially the previous update with the railway &apls

Links to SC4 websites

nbvc

wallasey

dedgren

More like "Empire Bay: A Great MD Emerges."  You've built on things that so impressed us in the past, Raphael.  EB looks like a huge hit!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Swordmaster

One of the better towns with predominantly Maxis residential lots there. Cool!

Cheers,
Willy

Dantes

The dock Road is awesome  :o I like the small town  :)

WannGLondon

Amazing shots. Especially love the dock area.
Call me Warren.

RickD

The region is growing rapidly. There is a coal mine and the primary settlement on Empire Island already has over 3000 inhabitants.

Farmland and Forest

With the growing population it gets harder to bring in all the needed supplies by ship. In another effort to make the region more independent, the Empire Bay Planning Comission zoned the complete Flatlands Peninsula for agricultural use. Surveyors divided the land into parcels of the same size (were possible) and access roads were build.

It quickly became obvious that there is not enough interest in purchasing land. The climate conditions are not very suitable for farming.

Eventually the land filled with farms. But not after the Commission decided to give the land away for free and pay every farmer a starting bonus of 1000 Simoleons a month in the first year.

The monks are not happy about the new settlers and the developments in the region. But they can not do anything against it. They were there first but they do not legally own the land.

A little town developed in the middle of the farm fields. The farmers call it "Jacksonvale", after Abraham Jackson, the first farmer in the region.

The only way to transport goods in from outside. This is the agricultural port on Flatlands Peninsula.

Also lots of building materials are needed. And it makes no sense bringing them in by ship when they are available in the region.

A logging operation in the southeastern mountains.

Let's follow the access road down into the valley.

This ford is impassable for at least two weeks in spring when the snow melts.

The road passes Bright Falls...

... before it reaches the sawmill.

Next on Empire Bay:
Empire Bay's infrastructure needs improvements.

Sorry, no individual replies today.  &mmm But a huge thank you to all commenters.  :thumbsup:
My name is Raphael.

apeguy

Nice update once again, looks like the sims are really starting to take hold in Empire Bay. I also look forward to seeing these infrastructure improvements. ;D ;D

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Dantes

The quarry looks fantastic. :o  I also like your forestry.  :thumbsup: You've made your production chains are great.  :)
The new port is looking good. I like the technical progress in your MD.  &apls  &apls  &apls

Swordmaster

Awesome! I like that mill, where did you get it?

Cheers,
Willy

Nanami

Nice one! can't wait till the built a large town!  :thumbsup:

RickD

Empire Bay keeps on growing, Murphy's Bar is still the place to be in the evenings and Jonathan Filmore feels very comfortable in his position as the region's governor. But he will soon have work to do.

More Power

"Sir, there is a problem that requires your immediate attention", Mr. Filmore, head of the Empire Planning Comission, is informed by his secretary.

"The town is growing rapidly", he continued, "We now have over 5.000 permanent residents and they demand electricity 24/7 in their homes."

"But the old power generator can not keep up with demand. And it is running on Diesel, which is expensive to import. Immediate action is necessary."

The Comission quickly agrees on building a decent power plant that will be sufficient for years to come. Construction starts as soon as possible right outside of town.

Of course they build a coal plant. There is plenty of coal available after all.

Now the town can continue its growth.

It doesn't take long for more housing and industrial developments to spring up.

Also other improvements to the infrastructure have been made. The roads are now paved. No more freightcars stuck in the muddy mess during rain season (= basically all year).

Another problem that is becoming more pressing is garbage. There is no solution for handeling garbage so it starts piling up in the streets.

The Empire Planning Comission chose an area behind the new power plant and zoned it as a landfill. Some argue that it is too close to town but a quick solution was needed and it was decided that this is only a "temporary" solution until a better location for a landfill has been found. Yeah, right. ::)

Soon it begins to fill up with garbage of all sorts. The citizens can enjoy walking through clean streets again.

Here is a larger overview of the town with the new power plant and the landfill.

Next on Empire Bay:
A town hall and a new ferry terminal for the ambitious town.

Replies:

Quote from: apeguy on March 02, 2012, 08:54:47 AM
Nice update once again, looks like the sims are really starting to take hold in Empire Bay. I also look forward to seeing these infrastructure improvements. ;D ;D
First I need to take care of the basic needs then I can focus on the fancy stuff. ;)

Quote from: Dantes on March 02, 2012, 08:59:41 AM
The quarry looks fantastic. :o  I also like your forestry.  :thumbsup: You've made your production chains are great.  :)
The new port is looking good. I like the technical progress in your MD.  &apls  &apls  &apls
Thank you, Dantes. :)

Quote from: Swordmaster on March 03, 2012, 11:41:12 AM
Awesome! I like that mill, where did you get it?

Cheers,
Willy
It is called Slaytfork Mill by Onlyplace4 (RIP) and it is on the STEX: http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/15907-slaytfork-mill-revised/

Quote from: 976 on March 05, 2012, 06:48:51 PM
Nice one! can't wait till the built a large town!  :thumbsup:
Me, too.  ::)  :P
My name is Raphael.

Terring7

Pity that we're in the early 20th century, because some windmills or solar panels would be better and more suitable ::)
By the way, the power lines are plopable?
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Zodicus

Nice to start to a dang fine looking region! I love how you have incorporated a story line to it. Nice style Rick! I will be staying tuned to this one. You've got a nice eye for asthetics! you boys simply make your MD's amazing to say the least. Keep up the good work bud  :thumbsup:
Constructive criticism is recommended and highly encouraged

Dantes

Your city is growing fast.  :) I hope the landfill will be no later problem.  &mmm
I hope your region with the power plant gets another boost to grow.  :thumbsup: