• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Critique this Picture....

Started by rooker1, November 13, 2008, 04:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooker1

Hello Everyone,

Rules....

-All pictures are to be no wider than 1024 pixels, please.  This will insure that your picture is on the screen and none of it is being cut off for most screen users.
-One picture per post.
-Straight honest opinions and ideas on how the picture could be better with possible links to custom content or tutorials.
-Judge and grade the picture out of a possible 10.  Please remember that no picture is perfect.
-Any amount of photoshoping is welcomed, although some members may have something to say about it.
-I would like to see everyone enter a picture that comments, but this is not manditory.
-Any member that posts one liners or spam will be warned at first than their posts will be deleted.

It is my goal and I will do my best to judge and grade every picture.

Everyone please remember by you entering your picture in this thread you are accepting however anyone critiques your picture.

Thanks,
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

rooker1

I'll start with a picture from myself.

Enjoy and let's hear some comments on how this picture could be better and let's see some more pictures from others.

Robin  ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

Diggis

Quote from: rooker1 on November 13, 2008, 04:55:47 AM
Everyone please remember by you entering your picture in this thread you are accepting however anyone critiques your picture.  So no arguing.

I know it's pictures we are supposed to be critiquing, but while I agree no arguing, surely defending things in your picture is ok?

BTW, great idea, look forward to seeing how it pans out.

Just saw your pic, great pic. 

There is something funny going on with 2 of the wharf pieces along the bottom, looks like they aren't quite leveled correctly.

I would expect there to be more traffic on the road, but sometimes thats hard to catch.

Plus, the black border on one side is a little disconcerting.

There also seems to be some serious security fencing around the bottom lots, but it doesn't close off.  Would be easy to sneak round the side. ;) (sorry, it's the crim in me coming out.)

You are right Shaun, wrong choice of words,  ;) "arguing " is now gone.  BTW, please don't forget to grade the picture out of 10. Robin  :thumbsup:

Edit:  Sorry, forgot the score.  All the stuff I mentioned is really minor, and the pic is great so it's a solid 8 (maybe 8.5  :P)

debutterfly

Hey Robin...not much criticism but much praise.  :thumbsup: The three identical buildings in the upper left hand corner look out of place looking identical to each other... I've been told to download SimGoober's Industrial lots on the LEX.  ;) But anyhow I give your photo a 9. Keep up the good work Robin.  &apls

(Debutterfly)
Larry 3

squidi

thats a great idea for a new thread!

now to your picture robin:
there is a lot variation of props trucks and warehouses what makes it look very intressting for me
the lots are also very good arranged with that transision of the road and the coastline( i hope that was understandable described)
in my eyes the scene looks so lively that i dont really notice the missing traffic on the road.
in the top left corner could be some trees or anything else on that empty green next to the road.
and now i have to say that there is one point that i totaly dont like.
the water is for a harbour to bright and with to much tranparency.
i would suggest to use one of pegs more ocean looking watermods.
in a harbour the water is normaly dirty and the ships also squirling small particals from the ground that makes water with nearly no transparency

because i absolutly dont like the water in that picture i will give you
at least -1 point for that what then makes it 8 points.
-paul

Perfect Paul, thank you very much for such a detailed post.  I will definately go back and make some changes and repost later on, Robin  :thumbsup:

Diggis

rooker1

Thanks Shaun (Diggis) for putting in the first official picture.

Well, let's see.....
At first glance the picture looks great.  It has a subject, the car and the picture is very nicely framed by not only the frame but the trees in the picture.  The fact that the shot is at night makes the title perfectly fitting.
Now, the only thing I don't really like about it is that it is extremely close making the grass under the bridge easily noticeable.  Now I know this is not your fault but still makes the picture less than perfect.
I don't really have any suggestions on how this picture could have been better except to try and hide the one flaw that I pointed out.

I'm going to give this picture a 8.5/10.

Call me Robin, please.

Diggis

Quote from: rooker1 on November 13, 2008, 06:40:26 AM
Now, the only thing I don't really like about it is that it is extremely close making the grass under the bridge easily noticeable.  Now I know this is not your fault but still makes the picture less than perfect.

Actually it is my fault, as thats the underbridge light reflecting off the water I modelled there.  :P

rooker1

At any rate, it still looks off and is undistinguisable.  As you can tell from my post, even I didn't know what it was.  &ops

Robin  ;)
Call me Robin, please.

Lilojame

Mmmm... I guess I will put my "critique abilities" to a test...

Lets start with the picture posted by Robin (rooker1):

I like the asteticks and the "cleaeness" of the picture. The sector reminds me on the wharehouse&port that we have here in Slovenia. The only 2 things that bothers me are: the water looks 2 clean for the "industry port/seashore/rivershore" but I dont believe you can actualy change that. The second things is that the "water-grounds" looks kindda bear, meaning that I am missing some stones in it or some algea. Regardles of those 2 things I think the picture looks fanthastic.[/color]

An now to the picture posted by Diggis:
I like the peacefulnes of the picture that is only disturbed with a lonely car crossing the bridge. The trees compliment the overal feeling. But I do have to point out same things as Robin did, and that is the grass under bridge... If that would not be there then this picture would be flawless.

It's very important that you/we all read each and every post before making our own comments on certain aspects of a picture.  Shaun (Diggis) has made a post after mine that explains. Robin  ;)

And for the last I give one of my pictures to you to judge (dont mind the words on it):

Hit me...  ;D

Visit my MD Rainbow Falls or check Rainbow Falls Out of the Box or maybe check on my bats&lots visiting Lilojame´s Corner or if you wish go to Lilojame´s Candidacies.

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life. The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray."  (Byron, 1788-1824)

Diggis

I would kindly point you to my reply to Robin's comment on the 'grass'.  It is in fact a reflection of the under bridge lighting on the water beneath the bridge.

On to your work:

I love the pic.  Great use of photoshop and the distortion you add to the angle of the shot is really good.  The grass between the houses seems a bit bare.  It could use some trees or playground equipment there maybe.  There also appears to be a property centre top with access into another property instead of the road.  This probably isn't your fault tho.  Good job otherwise.  :thumbsup:

Darn, forgot to score again... 9/10 (I really do love this pic  ;))

rooker1

Lilojame,

First off let me thank you for stopping.

Now let's look at your picture.
It comes with a very nice frame and I like the perspective you put on the picture.  All the houses fit together very nicely, the prsk between the houses look good as well, but I think there is too much of it.  Maybe the park could be between only one row of houses with a vary size and maybe a park added.  That part is all personal taste.  
The one thing that I don't like is the changing of sidewalks because of the changing in residential wealth levels.  If I could suggest that you try out one of these two MODs, JRJ Sidewalks Mod by jeronij or the one that I use, JRJ Street side Mod by jeronij as well.  For the second one you really have to pay close attention to the readme.  ;)
Also some nice paths through the parks would be really good, maybe try these ones, SFBT Park Set low wealth, SFBT Park Set medium wealth or SFBT Park Set high wealth all by SFBT.
I hope this helps out.  ;)

I give this picture a 8/10.

Call me Robin, please.

Pat

Robin kudo's for you to bring this here and getting this going so well!!! OK lets see here three pics to review and I will go as follow's....

• Robin: OK here this comes from first off the score I will give you is 8/10... Now why is because couple of things get to me is the minimze box in the picture still... Also there seems to be a shadow by green ship that comes from no where?? That throws me off.. Over all Robin you do have wonderful port there and i do commend you for such wonderful custom lotting!!!
  • Shaun: Well shaun you know your flaw so why hash out it more right? anyways my score for ya's is at least a little bit more genoures at a 9/10 lol.... Anywho I do really like the overall effect of the whole pic and that is why the solid 9!!!
  • Lilojame: Karin I have to agree with Shaun here about the angle here and your photoshop ablities wow!!! I feel as though I am in a plane!! My score to you is a 10/10!!! Why such a high mark here is because this pic reminds me of area that I used to live in and I am kinda home sick I guess you could say, so great job!!!!

OK those are my thoughts on the three pics up there and now here for your tormenting pleasures is a pic from me lol......

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

jmdude1

i will add some critiques as well.
robin: love the pic and have always admired your dirty industrial work. i like how you piece together different buildings to create a new structure. the only things i notice that seem 'off' about the pic is the water mod, which has been mentioned, as well as the cranes right next to the warehouse which extends into the water. im not sure if thats your work or the creators work. i just think the cranes should be further away from the warehouse but that might be how the lot came. oh, and the triple buildings in the upper left, but i know it takes time to get the right thing to grow. 9/10.
diggis: another great pic. i wont say anything about the water reflection under the bridge  ;) but i will mention that the road looks to be very high end for this pic. it seems just a regular street would fit better, but its hard to tell without seeing the surrounding area. 8/10
lilojame:i like the angle of the pic, its an interesting perspective. nice houses as well. im not a fan of different coloured sidewalks though, but thats just my opinion. also, the pic seems a little blurry to me. 8\10
pat: its another nice pic. my only gripe with this one is the use of the large round boulders (dark grey). they just seem to stand out next to the stream/river. 8\10.

Diggis

Thanks guys.  I see what you are saying about the road.  It's my favourite SAM texture, and I was going for the historic look.  Where I lived the bridges like that were expensive and high end.  ;)

Pat: Thats a nice scene.  It just seems a little incoherant to me. the 2 colours of water doesn't sit well, and as JMdude said the large grey rocks seem our of place.  I do however really like the mudflat in the uppper left corner.  6/10 for me sorry.  ;)

tough I know, but at least this way if I vote you a high one, you know I mean it

Sheep49

Great, now I can critique pics! ::) That's what I do the best, some say :D

Firstly, for Robin (Rooker1): The fact that this picture is in HoF, doesn't mean it's perfect. The biggest disadvantage of this one is the water texture. It doesn't look right with that industrial harbour. The water in such place shouldn't be that clean and transparent ;) Next con: even though I usually love your lotting, I have to say that those in this pic are just too chaotic and... messy? to my taste. Still, that area has a lot of potential and is pretty realistic. I think I'll give this one 7/10 ;)

Shaun (Diggis): First thing: I think that this SAM texture doesn't fit in there. I think it looks better in old towns, rather than rural areas. In my opinion, the black texture (don't remember the name ::)) is the best choice ;) Also, area on the left is pretty empty. How about planting some more trees there? But the frame is good, and the text looks nice and is soooo right. I'd give it 6,5/10

Lilojame: Not a bad pic, I have to say. The worst part is the Maxis' grass lots. I think they shouldn't be used there. I think Robin has given you links to the parks that will make your area more varieted. Another con are the sidewalk textures. I think you should try this mod: Euro Asphalt Sidewalk by sap23 It really enhances the realism of the game, so I think it's smart to tell you about it ;) The perspective is definitely interesting, and you have used the nice font still ;) Maybe 8/10 ;)

Pat: Well, Podcast Man, I have to say I'm really impressed. Even though it's clear that the name of your MD, thus your speciality are the waterfalls, still I'm surprised it's possible to create such a level of realism. Still, I you have overused those rocks. And in my opinion there are too many different kinds of trees, which make your picture chaotic. Apart from that, it's really enjoyable to watch. ;) I'll give it 9/10

OK, since the best part is gone, let's go to the boring part:

This is my first, and the only HoF pic. Criticism (constructive of course ::)) is highly appreciated ;)

See you later!
Piotr
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

rooker1

Pat....Nice picture and I can see that you have put alot of effort into the picture, but it really doesn't look finished. 
I think the water line in the corner could be covered some how better and the water fall effect needs to be closer to the larger body of water.  I think you have used to many of the larger boulders and not mixed in the plopable water enough with the shoreline of the river.
The presentation of the picture is very good, you have the subject very nicely centered and have also framed the picture too.
I give this picture a 6.5/10.

Piotr (Sheep49).....Very good picture and that is why it made it's way into the HoF. 
The only thing that sticks out for me is the tree over the dam, seems out of place and maybe you couldn't have prevented that tree, but it still doesn't really belong there.
I give this picture a 9.5/10.

Robin  ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

Lilojame

Aww... excuse me please for my "bumps"... it just proves that I am under stress this week and thank you for pointing it out.

So to fix the things:

I am sorry Diggis that I missed the explanation. I understand now, what the case is. And also, since I didnt grade you pricture before I give you 9/10.
And to Robins (rooker1) picture I gave a 9/10 also.

Thank you for the very usefull links and constructive critiques you gave my shot! It will help me a lot!  ()stsfd()

So now to move to the newer pictures posted:

Pat : I find the picture pleasing but also have to agree with some critiques that were given already. I would suggest that you use less of those brownish "rocks" and maybe replace them with the "mossy" ones instead. Also, some more watre-flora at the enges would be useful to "blurr" the line. Fort this picture I give you 8/10 (and btw. I love your MD)

Sheep49 : The faiming compliments the picture nicely. I have to agree with a tree notice posted by Robin. The composition of picture looks good also. Overal I give you 9/10.

BTW. Can we post more than one picture and if we do, how much time or other pictures or other posts may pass between posting another one?

Good point, One picture per post.  Robin (Moderator) :thumbsup:

Visit my MD Rainbow Falls or check Rainbow Falls Out of the Box or maybe check on my bats&lots visiting Lilojame´s Corner or if you wish go to Lilojame´s Candidacies.

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life. The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray."  (Byron, 1788-1824)

Travis

Piotr: this shot is excellent. :thumbsup: One thing I notice, the top part of the pic is unzoned (which for some reason always bugs me ::)) and the grid is on. ;) 9/10

Here's my (very dark ()stsfd()) pic:

If one looks closely, you can see the lights on that building are photshopped red, white and blue. ()stsfd()

Lilojame

Travis: You get bonus points for framing the picture and bonus points on photoshoping those lights. The composition is good. For noticing anything else than that I dind the picture a bit to dark. One of the buildings is a bit to light, in my opinion, when comparing to the darkness that is obscuring the other buildings. I leave opened the posibility that my monitors lightnes/darkness is making the picture even darker than it is. I give you 8.5/10

Ok, here is another one of mine:

Hit me...  ;D

Btw. Robin, great idea on making this topic!