• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Getting back into SC4(steam version) a few questions before I do

Started by MattyFo, March 27, 2020, 06:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattyFo

Hi all, it's been years since I've been here!  I recently got the city building bug so I tried out Cities Skylines last night. Oddly enough after playing it several hours all I could think about was how I just wanted to play SC4 again.

My disk copy won't run the game on either of my new PCs. So my question is, if I buy the steam version is all the custom content available here and at Simtropolis going to work on it?  No point playing SC4 if I cant use all the amazing content people have created over the years tbh.

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

twalsh102

Welcome back!

If your new PCs are running Windows 10, Microsoft removed the drivers that allowed the use of the DRM software resident in the disc version, which prevents the game from working from disc.

Any of the digital versions (other than Origin - it is un-patched, and un-patchable) will work.  All are already fully patched.  I don't use the Steam version, but if I'm not mistaken, your are required to log in to Steam in order to play (but I might be wrong).  All currently available content WILL work with these patched versions

If you haven't purchased the Steam version yet, you might consider the GOG version (this is the one I use).  SimCity 4 Deluxe is currently on sale there for $4.99.  It is completely DRM-free!  If you do decide to go with GOG, you do not need to download and use GOG Galaxy.  You can download the game directly.

MattyFo

Thanks so much. I've never heard of gog, just checked them out and think I'll do that.  Looks like I'm getting back into SC4 :bnn:! Now for the tedious part of downloading gigs and gigs of CC and their dependencies  &mmm.

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

xxdita

Quote from: MattyFo on March 27, 2020, 09:22:02 AM
Thanks so much. I've never heard of gog, just checked them out and think I'll do that.  Looks like I'm getting back into SC4 :bnn:! Now for the tedious part of downloading gigs and gigs of CC and their dependencies  &mmm.

The downloading isn't the problem. It's making sure it all works properly and finding the dependencies that can be exhausting.

You may want to take a look at the BSC Superior Collections on the LEX. So far, I've put together Residential and Commercial Collections. Hoping to get a pack together for Industrials in the coming days. Using the LEX Dependency Tracker, you can download a wide variety of BSC content in each Collection to suit stages 1 through 6 in vanilla or CAM.

https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3934
https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3935

Enjoy!