• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tribute to SAC : Olympia re-uploaded .

Started by Badsim, May 25, 2007, 01:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tkirch

SAC,

I remember going back and looking at Olympia.  I use to make visiting your site a regularity and just looking over Olympia for inspiration.  A lot of this was done before everything else came out, I just wander what you would do with the ner terrain mods and all the new custom content, the NAM. 
You were a true inspiration, and still are for all the people now seeing Olympia for the first time.

SAC

Oh my Badsim!  You seem to have collected quite a few of my Olympia screenies.  Very nice to see.  They sure bring back some memories for me as well!  :)

Quote from: mikeseith on November 19, 2007, 05:01:06 PM
SAC was my inspiration during the SC3K years.  Some of her best stuff I think.  I love your work SAC and can't wait to see some of your Infra stuff released for transport tycoon. 

Wow, those SC3K pictures bring back memories...good stuff.

What a pleasant surprise to see you again Mikeseith!  :)  Not to mention of course the entire BSC Team, or so it seems.  Has something happened over at ST since you have a website of your own, or was it just a result of a need to better collect your resources?

Quote from: Kitsune on November 19, 2007, 06:36:32 PM
That city is amazing, prolly the best I've ever seen. Some of the views are just jaw dropping, and the custom content looks to be must have. Am I correct in assuming the majority of the city was built before or at the early stages of the NAM?

The NAM, as far as I recall, wasn't even proposed when Olympia saw the light.  That, or in the very, very early stages.  In fact, I believe most of the stuff available today wasn't even started on when I developed Olympia.  So yes, it would have been yet another challenge to have had access to the NAM, the trams, the new terrain and so on.  Seing all these images again makes me want to jump right into my SC4 game again... ;D

I have a lot to catch up on if I'm going to give Olympia a facelift, that's for sure.  Took a quick look at the "BEX" or whatever it's called, and found some stuff I haven't heard of before.  CAM for instance!   :D  A whole new world to say the least!

Again guys, thanks!

Pat

SAC you are so welcomed and to answer your question, more or less BSC came here to have a nice place devoted to the game of SC4 and to better strive to serve the community as a whole.... CAM by far is a new game so to say for SC4... It brings in new stage growth heights and just totaly changes the game play for the better....

I would love to see Olympia CAMfied and NAMed up... Also new creations as well as old creations up and running again - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

BarbyW

SAC, may I join in the welcoming party too? Your early work and that of Colyn (CSX) inspired me to start lot making. You did amazing things with so little content and they are still worthy of a place in any city.
It is wonderful that you have found us here and I hope you will continue to visit us.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

SAC

Well, thanks both of you.  I'm getting more and more eager to actually start playing SC4 again, the more I view all the screenies and read about the fan based progress.  If only I had more time on my hands.  I really hate life requires you to work to survive.  I want more personal time!!!  ;D

Anyways, I don't have access to my SC4 disc where I am right now, (working about 25 metric miles from my hometown, so I usually only bring my external harddrive, (and what a great invention that is  :)), to have access to necessary files while awa), but I will certainly try to spend as much time as possible to collect every possible new custom content there is - or at least those I want - so I get an easy start when getting back home again!

On another note, my external harddrive contains ALL my SC4 files I ever had, including ALL screenies, would you by any chance be interested to have me post some of them in this thread?  I'm aware it may spoil your entire idea to begin with BadSim, but I hope it's okey with you anyway?  If nothing else it'll provide you with an extra back-up as most of those aren't available online anylonger!  Just let me know!  :)

jeronij

Quote from: SAC on November 20, 2007, 06:56:59 AM
On another note, my external harddrive contains ALL my SC4 files I ever had, including ALL screenies, would you by any chance be interested to have me post some of them in this thread?  I'm aware it may spoil your entire idea to begin with BadSim, but I hope it's okey with you anyway?  If nothing else it'll provide you with an extra back-up as most of those aren't available online anylonger!  Just let me know!  :)

I couldn't agree more  ;D , and I dont think Badsim really minds  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Badsim

Badsim really minds Jeroni !  :D

SAC , I would never have expected a so magnificent destiny to that thread  !  Please , this is your .... ;D

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

SAC

Okey, it seems I need to spend some time trying to sort my SC4-files, (whatever type), as I've made several back-ups during different time periods.  But since I promised to post at least some images, I digged up the following ones for you to enjoy - or hate;   ;D

As some of you may know I also had my own little "Automata Manufacturing Company" running aside with the entire Olympia project.  I started it as a result of my personal dislike of the original ones included with the game, but even though it was intended for my own personal use, it soon developed into a "business" of its own with people ordering buses of all kinds for their cities.  :)  Below is an image of the local metro train used in Olympia.  It should be mentioned that I didn't use the original subway as intended, but invented the so called "subway-on-ground" - something which basically ment that I sort of "lifted" up the subway tracks to align with the ground level.  This gave me a second "ground levelled" track which I could use for local metro commuters, rather than having to use the normal railroads for this;

And below an image showing the actual commuter in service - with the "subway-on-ground";

There were of course other transport systems running in Olympia, and one of the latest models presented shortly before the "closure" of the Olympia Motors Company, was the regional bus, intended for regional transports, below in action in Olympia;

Even though not intended for Olympia, this particular model, (double decker), was presented to comply with the requests made by several customers - or mayors from cities world wide.  Below is an image showing the particular bus out on a test on the streets of Olympia, not far from the actual factory;

While I never made any custom buildings, (3D-models), myself, I took the liberty to change a lot of them once released. The reason was that I often found many creators to use way too large lots, something which required more space for less buildings in the city.  While changing them and at the same time adding more details, I was able to use the expensive landmass in a more convinient and constructive way!  Below are a couple of those buildings, (apart from what have been showed already thanks to BadSims);

BigSlark

Your work is amazing, SAC. My jaw dropped in awe of your lots and your automata. My favorite lots are the relotted train stations, they often end up taking lots (no pun intended) of room.

Is there any chance you would upload your automata to the LEX here at SC4D? I noticed some on the STEX, but I couldn't find your elevated/subway/GLR trains and would love to have them.

Cheers,
Kevin

Pat

SAC wow those are very lovely pics indeed... I truely loved the Subway above ground and the buses... I second what Bigslark suggested.... Great stuff SAC great stuff  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: &apls

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

SAC

Well, the few automata ever uploaded at ST were the ones never claimed by the original ordering "mayors"!  The reason be was the huge order stock I had, thus resulting in an extremely delay  :D, and I believe some of the "mayors" simply grew old and passed away eventually...   No payments recieved there despite the hard work  ;D

Anyways, with the planned SimuScape I intend to upload most of the buses ever made, including those already delivered to the other mayors and their cities.  I don't think any of them would mind at this point.  It's been a couple of years now so...

As for the commuter train, that one was made for Olympia City Transits, and will continue to serve the fourth edition of that city - and therefor not become publicly available.  However, I do have other commuter trains available that was made as tests for the final Olympia City Transits products, such as the one below;

A couple of different liveries, (fictional), could perhaps be of use?

Pat

WOW i just stepped out and back in wow, I'm stunned again SAC, that is such great and wonderful news to hear that a majority of your creations will be at simuscape... Besides Olympia City Transits products holds all blue prints and thus for can sell and distribute at its leisure lol....  Looking forward to more - pat

SAC

Yeah well, I should probably - once again - add that I need a bit of time!  I have only begun to start looking for stuff released since I left, and it'll be awhile before I can start the new Olympia.  Not to mention the site, but although I should be very careful with promises, (learning from early on  :P), I think it's safe to say that 2008 is the year it'll happen!  Still, I do have lots of RL things grabbing most of my spare time, and what's even worse; I seem to be immune to all sorts of sickness, diseases, colds, allergies, you name it.  Otherwise I might have been able to "get some extra time" of my own to spend of funnier things than work...but...I haven't called in sick for almost 9 years now...not even for a bad stomach!  I simply cannot get sick or ill otherwise.  Very strange!  I guess I should be happy!

:D

Pat

hehehe yes you should be SAC, be very happy my friend and dont worry RL is first priorty... I will wait patiently - pat

BigSlark

I hope youre feeling better soon, SAC. I, too, would like to start a MD (CJ, as it they are known elsewhere) but never have the time.

As for the liveries, what ever you feel like making and sharing would be most welcome and appreciated. Im currently using a Toronto-liveried PCC trolley car for all of my light rail services but its about time to step up to something that has air conditioning, central heating, and high-level doors...

Cheers,
Kevin

newyorkrunaway1

i got so many ideas from this when i first started playing sc. the LE works of olympia were amazing, and outshine many of todays LE's

top notch work that will live for a long long time
"The Unofficial Realism Oracle"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parkland - Adventures In RealismA CJ | By newyorkrunaway1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAUTF | North American Urban Transit Forum (New & Improved)
NashDEV Gallery | Nashville TN USA Gallery (Over 900 Pictures and counting)

KoV Liberty

Well, apparently you can't "bump" a stickied thread. Well anyways, let me just say that your works SAC are stunning! I am very glad I have seen these today and am very impressed. I was amazed at the works you did with compensation of the El-Rail to make it look as if it was GLR. And with the avenue bridge running through the city center practically ground level with the other roads. And to everyone who likes to accuse me of not checking first; yes I know she is inactive, but I just had the feelng I needed to comment.

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

Glenni

Every time i see Olympia it just strikes me with awe at the amazing work done. Years have passed. We have far more network options for NAM now, but the way SAC did the lot work, placement etc, is nothing short of amazing, even in 2022.