• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GaryReggae's BAT Exhibition

Started by GaryReggae, February 18, 2007, 05:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

callagrafx

Quote from: GaryReggae on September 28, 2008, 01:35:17 AM
Here's something else I've been working on, it's a health clinic and ambulance station although it would not look out of place as a school.
Grange Hill anyone?  :D :D
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

art128

awesome health clinic  &apls excellent work  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Simpson

My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

GaryReggae

Thanks for all your comments, yes it does look very much like Grange Hill actually!

While we're on the subject of schools, I've been working on this today, changing it from just an empty framework to a structurally complete building.  Just needs detailing and texturing now.  This one is my old primary school!

Background:

Llocation: Chandler's Ford, Hampshire
Opened: Early 1960s
Design: One of many similiar schools designed by the Hampshire County Council architect's department, the school was prefabricated from a public sector structure called SCOLA using a steel frame I believe and prefab timber/glass facade panels.
Facilities: Ten classrooms, dedicated music room, library, assembly/dining/sports hall, full catering service, special needs classroom and various ancillary rooms, eg admin offices, staff room etc.
Grounds: Playing field, two concrete playgrounds, two landscaped courtyards, conservation area and adventure playground
Height:  The two main classroom blocks have two storeys each; the larger of the two having a staircase at each end (no lifts) while the smaller classroom block only has one set of stairs and thus does not comply with current fire escape regulations.  Indeed, this block was badly damaged by fire in 1989 but fortunately while the building was unoccupied.  The other parts of the building are single storey except for the entrance hall which is 1 and a half height.
Services: The building is totally naturally ventilated (except for the kitchens which have extract hoods) and enjoys opening windows throughout.  Heating was originally provided by built-in oil-fired air heaters in each classroom - a very popular option in the education sector and cheap at the time of construction.  However these have caused numerous problems  - the underfloor fuel supply lines leaked, the heaters are inefficient, expensive to run, unreliable, expensive to maintain and take up a lot of space.  A fault with one of the heaters caused the aforementioned 1989 fire and were immediately decomissioned and eventually replaced by a conventional gas fired central heating system with radiators.

Pat

Man Gary talk about coming back with a vengence here wow!!! too much good stuff lately  :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

art128

Props & Texture Catalog

vester

I like the school, but compared the classrooms to the central rooms (main hall, office, kitchen ect.),
I would suggest to add another classroom wing at the top:

EDIT:
Link to the same picture, now just at Photobucket.

GaryReggae

Pat: Thanks, I've finally got back my enthusiasm for BAT and your kind comments help motivate me to continue!

art128: Thanks!  :thumbsup:

Vester: Thanks for your feedback, I agree that it could probably benefit from an extra classroom block, ten classrooms is not much for the size of the other facilities.  I can't see the image you posted at the moment as I am at work and stupid Websense blocks Imageshack and most other image hosting services but I will have a look when I get home and probably add an extra block.

GaryReggae

Thanks Vester, I am very impressed by the revised version of the school you posted, it looks very realistic!

That is indeed a good place to put the extra block as the corridor to the existing smaller classroom block can be continued into the new one via the link building you proposed.  I will put the library into the link building which will free up one of the classrooms in the larger block.

Simpson

My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

jayo

I think i'm dreaming.

You were one of the BATters who got to me to start BATing and now you're back.
Bloody brilliant.
Now,get that ASDA uploaded ;)
I might start playing the game more ;D
I'm back

vester

Quote from: GaryReggae on September 30, 2008, 05:05:56 AM
Thanks Vester, I am very impressed by the revised version of the school you posted, it looks very realistic!

The wonders of Photoshop  ;D

Vario80

That school looks nice sofar. Interesting design.  :thumbsup:
Avatar: Atlantic Hotel Sail City- The new landmark of Bremerhaven

GaryReggae

Thanks, here's a picture of the school with the extra block added.  I moved the link block across to the centre so that it doesn't block out too many classroom windows, the link will contain the Library.

I haven't done much else to be honest apart from adding covers to the heater risers.

vester

Looking good. Maybe add some windows to the right side of the extra wing. (like on the left side)

How does it look from the other side ?

EDIT: The picture doesn't show up in you post  &mmm

Found the link to it in code for your post:

Looking at the picture, one thing that just popped up, fire escapes from the top floors. Here is one from Denmark.

art128

Props & Texture Catalog

sim-al2

Just to point, there's a few schools like that where I live and they don't have fire escapes. Basically, you have to run or jump out the window (if they even made opening windows in those jail cells public education facilities.) ;)
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

vester

Well,sim-al2, most buildings dont have as much roof junk as we add to them. If it looks good to a building, there is an idea to add it.

Pat

OMG WOW Gary!!! That is just simply stunning details so far and i am soo droooling here!!! I cant wait to get ahold of this new school....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Zaphod

Not a school per se but my college has buildings where all the stairways are outdoors, negating the need for fire escapes. The insides only have one elevator for handicap access.
War Kittens !?