• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Lloyds of London

Started by callagrafx, April 18, 2020, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

callagrafx

Once again turning to my collection of stock models, I have this...  Will take some doing to retexture for the game, as the original model was done for Vray, so all the materials need to be rebuilt for Mental Ray.

Hands up who wants?  And should it be a Landmark or a Reward? 

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

art128

I've always been interested in that building. I'd say a CO$$$ would more appropriate as it's an office building IRL.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

callagrafx

Quote from: art128 on April 18, 2020, 05:44:55 AM
I've always been interested in that building. I'd say a CO$$$ would more appropriate as it's an office building IRL.

Yeah I know, however I don't think there should be more than one instance, which is why I was thinking reward...
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Girafe

This building is so unique, therefore I would go for a reward / landmark or ploppable CO$$$ but I agree that many instance in the game would be kinda weird
Good luck for the texturing, If I am right there are a ton of metals parts which is always tricky to render properly  :thumbsup:
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Getron

Reward to prevent my Landmark menu from becoming even fuller  ;-p

Mad_genius

The building looks amazing.  :thumbsup:
It would be really nice as a reward, especially if it has some conditions to be unlocked, just to give us a little challenge.  ;) ;)

callagrafx

Ok, done some ingame test renders on a basic LOT...

AsimPika3172

I loves Sim City forever!

fantozzi

&apls &apls &apls &apls Au naturel hardcore!  &apls &apls &apls &apls

I'd go for two versions a CAM-growable and a functional landmark.

art128

Stunning lighting.

I was gonna say that is looks a bit small. But then I checked and the real building isn't even 100m high, It's weird I always thought it was higher than that.  If you have the time and opportunity to do that, can you try to scale it up a bit on the Z axis? Just to see how it would look compared to the normal sized one.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

callagrafx

Quote from: art128 on April 20, 2020, 02:24:41 AM
Stunning lighting.

I was gonna say that is looks a bit small. But then I checked and the real building isn't even 100m high, It's weird I always thought it was higher than that.  If you have the time and opportunity to do that, can you try to scale it up a bit on the Z axis? Just to see how it would look compared to the normal sized one.

The building is 95m high to the tip. I've already scaled it 130% on the Z axis to allow for BAT squash. Any more and the arches and pipes become too distorted.  It's not a skyscraper, and is dwarfed by others nearby...

xxdita

I generally prefer growables, but some buildings should not repeat all over town. So a reward or functional landmark version would be great.

callagrafx

Right, because I'm basically crap at modding I've decided to make this is landmark with jobs... however I want to limit it to just allow one ploppable per city.  Now how do I do this?

mattb325

Looking good.

In the Reader, the exemplar to make something restricted to only one is 'City Exclusion Group' and you assign the value of the Lot Resource Key to it. So if your lot resource key for this lot is 0x12345678 then the entry in the reader will be:

City Exclusion Group | 0xEA2E078B |Unit32 | 1 | 0x12345678

I've typically only ever used it for rewards, but it should work on a ploppable landmark (it's worth a shot).

Also, the bat would be more useable in multiple situations if you ditched the batted base texture. I can see there are some underground elements that need to be hidden, but using the matte/shadow/reflection option in the UVW map instead of the bitmap you're using in 3dsMax will do the trick of hiding the underground elements and allowing the in game base textures to come through.

To avoid odd results with the m/s/r edges and SC4 anti-aliasing, once having selected the m/s/r map, you uncheck everything (receive shadows, Ambient Occlusion, Indirect Illumination) and then you make sure that the colour of the 'Color Mapped Background' are the same RGB/HSV values of your 'mr physical sky' which is found under rendering->environment.

callagrafx

Having to relearn Mental Ray... in Vray I can just tell certain objects to affect the alpha in a negative way.  Also realised I left HD output on when I rendered, which is why it's much sharper than the surrounding buildings... 

Update:  Having issues where the object with the MSR material is still being included in the alpha. Mask opacity is set to 1.0.  Have matched Mapped Background with ground colour on sky map and turned all the other stuff off..

Figured it out... need to add the environment map to the Mapped Background.  Wasn't enough just to use the values in the colour box.

callagrafx

Just to sound my own horn... but this is now on the LEX here:  https://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3962

I have also done a Maxis Nite version for people who don't use the Dark Nite modd too... That's a separate download.