• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GLR Request Thread

Started by vinlabsc3k, June 06, 2009, 10:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joelyboy911

For rail networks other than heavy rail, is it possible for stations to be made to be built next to the line, with no need for transit enabling?
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

z

All rail networks behave the same in this manner.  So if you are asking, "Is it possible to build a GLR station that lies next to the line instead of on top of it, similar to the basic Maxis train station," the answer is "Yes."

joelyboy911

That was what I was asking, yes. It seems to me that there is a definite preference to the on top of style for stations, I wonder, is there any reason for this?

It doesn't concern me, I am just curious.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

z

Quote from: joelyboy911 on June 11, 2009, 02:37:55 AM
It seems to me that there is a definite preference to the on top of style for stations, I wonder, is there any reason for this?

It takes up less space.

redraider147

would it be possible to dual path rail with GLR and GLR with rail? then we could have the stations be transfers. On Long Island, NY's Long Island Railroad, and in northern nyc's metro north railroad the same trains that are capable of running on the el and subway lines run on the same lines as standard rail. while the trains in nyc are modified heavy rail rather than light rail, they are the same as what the game views el-rail and subway to be. thus it makes sense for rail and glr to share a track. sometimes on the lirr's port jefferson line, a diesel locomotive runs from the far end, through huntington (where electrified service begins), all the way to the other end at penn station.

Luke09

My request is a station that is a transition of subway and GLR.I will try to explain:
Its a station that you drag glr over it to make the GLR station,and the Subway under it to the subway station,so you get both in one station.Its like Mas71 roudabound bus/sbuway station,but not on roundabouds
Tu és
Time de tradição,raça,amor e paixão,
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo

z

Quote from: redraider147 on June 11, 2009, 08:52:25 PM
would it be possible to dual path rail with GLR and GLR with rail? then we could have the stations be transfers.

Yes, this is technically possible.

Quote from: Luke09 on June 11, 2009, 09:21:19 PM
My request is a station that is a transition of subway and GLR.I will try to explain:
Its a station that you drag glr over it to make the GLR station,and the Subway under it to the subway station,so you get both in one station.Its like Mas71 roudabound bus/sbuway station,but not on roundabouds

I know of at least one station like this on the STEX; there may very well be others.   Also, RTMT has a number of GLR-in-Avenue stations that are also subway stations.

joelyboy911

SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

choco

isn't El-Rail/GLR already rail pathed?

joelyboy911

Is it? Then we need some leading in puzzle pieces.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

choco

well, for UDI anyway....

SC4PATHS
-- Eltrain_3_1
2.0,-8.0,0.0
-- Eltrain_1_3
-2.0,-8.0,0.0
-- Pathing for Rail-based UDI_3_1
2.0,-8.0,0.0
-- Pathing for Rail-based UDI_1_3
-2.0,-8.0,0.0

kuehmary

I wish that there was a 45 degree turn in the sandstone texture piece.

io_bg

And what about a 90 degree smooth curve with size 2x2 tiles? I think it would look more realistic than the one which is 1x1 tiles.
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

cogeo

Quote from: choco on June 12, 2009, 04:50:25 AM
isn't El-Rail/GLR already rail pathed?

Quote from: joelyboy911 on June 12, 2009, 04:51:55 AM
Is it? Then we need some leading in puzzle pieces.

Indeed GLR contains paths for "heavy" rail too (they're copies of the El/GLR paths, only the transit type is rail). This is only needed for implementing the UDI mission (for El/GLR).

If you want to exploit this, you can make some 1x2 or 1x3 "transition" lots, and the rail automata will run on the GLR track. So you can have the effect many players have asked for, ie heavy rail running on the GLR-in-Avenue trackage. But:
- In the traffic query the paths will be in yellow, not orange, as traffic will have to be converted to GLR (el) first.
- It doesn't look realistic at all, heavy rail can't run on light rail track.

If you want to make some transit network modding work, you will have to use puzzle pieces.  Your new network "type" will have to accomodate both GLR and rail. And while there is some research (currently in progress) on draggable dual networks, making puzzle pieces is so far the only guaranteed way to making dual networks.

What I have considered doing is rail/GLR dual network, looking exactly like normal rail. What is this good for? In many real cities, light rail may use the mainline track for trips up to the suburbs, exurbs or satellite towns - you will also have to make some few station lots too (small, big, etc).

I really have considerd making these, but never made them, as I decided to cease custom content development. Compared to the rest of other puzzle pieces sets, the work needed is in some aspects easier and in some others harder:
- First of all, you won't need to make new textures. You can reference the same textures the rail network uses, and this would also be compatible to all these "rail mods" released recently.
- But take into account that the number of puzzle pieces might be a bit large, as you will have more combinations for junctions and branches, eg dual rail/GLR junction to dual rail/GLR, to rail only, to GLR only, etc. But the number of these can be greatly reduced if you make some few "terminator" puzzle pieces for rail (and possibly GLR too), and make only the (full) dual rail/GLR version for junctions (the "terminators" won't have those "wheelstop" props, of course).

If you are considering making these, take into account that it's some considerable amount of work, and the result won't be that "spectacular" (though really functional and useful). And don't expect many cheers either. Some players will appreciate it, but not the majority, I'm aftraid.

--

stewart_garden

Dear GLR team,

I try not to make requests because I don't/can't make things for the community myself and realise that those who do put in enormous amounts of effort voluntarily. 

HOWEVER, I would humbly like to make one request of the GLR team and that is to include another texture set for the GLR using heavy rail textures.  There are a number of situations in real life where light rail makes use of track that has in the past been heavy rail.  Manchester Metrolink in England is an example of this.  I have linked to a couple of photos below, one showing metrolink on tram tracks like the current GLR, and another showing Metrolink using track that was previously heavy rail.

Tram track:

Heavy rail track:

Further, there are many situations where heavy rail and mass transit sit next to each other one very similar looking track (following photograph shows the Tube at Royal oak station with single Tube line in the foreground and the heavy rail in the background - visually there is little difference apart from the conductor rails for the Tube:

If this is possible it would be hugely appreciated, but I do realise that your time is limited and you may have more pressing priorities.

Many thanks for what you do.

Stewart

First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

carkid1998

How about more GLR on pedmall pieces?
Sendona... Coming soon!

MandelSoft

Quote from: carkid1998 on June 24, 2009, 06:00:48 AM
How about more GLR on pedmall pieces?
These pieces are already existing. Check the GLR puzzle piece TAB ring.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

carkid1998

I mean like curves, diagonals and switches.
Sendona... Coming soon!

kbieniu7

I personally dreaming about diagonal T-RAM  ;) Is there any progress over it?
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

vinlabsc3k

It's second advice!! Don't exit the thread.

Please make only requests for GLR puzzle pieces, thanks.
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!