• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Railway pictures

Started by MR.Y, July 08, 2011, 03:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swordmaster

Found something from last winter on my HD. Some pics from a different perspective.

This lamp was apparently broken:

Cheers
Willy

art128

Hmmmmm How I would enjoy that..... :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

RickD

Very interesting. Thanks for posting these. The cab doesn't look very comfortable, though.  ::)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

feyss

@Swordmaster:

Is this the line between Luttre and Pont-à-Celles ? I don't know but i think i know these places.

It's nice to see here some pictures of SNCB/NMBS's trains. I really like it.  :thumbsup:

Swordmaster

Quote from: art128 on October 10, 2012, 08:38:26 AM

Rising at 2AM?  ::)  The job is fun, if you (and your family) can take the hours.

Quote from: RickD on October 11, 2012, 01:20:19 AM
Very interesting. Thanks for posting these. The cab doesn't look very comfortable, though.  ::)

Not at all; these engines were built in the early 1960s. In winter, you need a blanket to cover your knees and wear gloves. Fortunately, they've been phased out this year. Sold to the Czech Republic, I guess.

Quote from: feyss on October 11, 2012, 06:43:06 AM
@Swordmaster:

Is this the line between Luttre and Pont-à-Celles ? I don't know but i think i know these places.

It's nice to see here some pictures of SNCB/NMBS's trains. I really like it.  :thumbsup:

You've a good eye! The first pic is the entrance of Luttre, the others are what you said. The standstill was in Braine-Le-Comte.

Are you from the area? I pass there on average about once every fortnight.

Cheers
Willy

feyss

@  Swordmaster: Il live near Brussels.  I just walked here sometimes ago, so i recognized the red bridge and the level crossing  ;)

art128

Quote from: Swordmaster on October 11, 2012, 08:29:59 AM
Not at all; these engines were built in the early 1960s. In winter, you need a blanket to cover your knees and wear gloves. Fortunately, they've been phased out this year. Sold to the Czech Republic, I guess.

Now It's the Engine pilot in Czech Republic who are going to get cold in winter!

Quote from: art128 on October 10, 2012, 08:38:26 AM

Rising at 2AM?  ::)  The job is fun, if you (and your family) can take the hours.

Well I wouldn't mind that to be honest. It's fun and fascinating to drive trains in my opinion, I like to watch videos from Cab view, sure it's not the same as in real but it gives the idea. :P

Hmm Now I want to go take pictures of trains. But Trains around Paris are kinda boring. Oh Well i guess I Will get my lazy ass out of my house and go take some pictures someday..

Props & Texture Catalog

Swordmaster

Quote from: art128 on October 11, 2012, 12:24:33 PM
Well I wouldn't mind that to be honest. It's fun and fascinating to drive trains in my opinion, I like to watch videos from Cab view, sure it's not the same as in real but it gives the idea. :P

Well I'm still doing this, so apparently I don't mind either. ;) But it does get heavy after five or six days. You tend to look like a zombie after that.

And I promise a cab view video for you, if I get the chance.

Some from last summer:

This is next to Antwerp's ring road, the busiest in the country. I'm waiting for that passenger train to pass first.

Here they're constructing two additional tracks each on one side of the existing line. That field on the left reminds me a lot of SC4.

Waiting again...

Cheers
Willy

art128

Quote from: SwordmasterBut it does get heavy after five or six days. You tend to look like a zombie after that.

Hehe, I can image that! :D

Quote from: SwordmasterAnd I promise a cab view video for you, if I get the chance.

Well that would be fantastic!

Nice pictures! Was the waiting long on that last one?

Props & Texture Catalog

RickD

Quote from: RickD on October 11, 2012, 01:20:19 AM

Lucky you but poor Czech driver.  ::)

I would love to get a chance for a cab ride once. On an everyday basis however, I think I prefer my car's comfort seats and my ergonomic office chair. I will just keep on satisfying my train driving desires with Train Simulator 2013 then. :P

My name is Raphael.

MR.Y

In the morning travel to Bad Holzhausen.

My first pic I just wanted to do a long time, now I get it:

After some more Photo-stops I made this Photo at the station "Neue Mühle":

The last pic were made in Bünde:

Swordmaster

Good pictures, folks.

I couldn't believe how low those overpasses are, Corey. Until I realized there's no wires of course.

Quote from: art128 on October 11, 2012, 01:30:27 PM
Nice pictures! Was the waiting long on that last one?

I don't remember. It can last a while, though.

So, I went loading in the factory:

Yes, we're driving backwards here :)

Really old-fashioned coupling methods:

They're electrifying this line:

And as promised, a cab video for Arthur (and the rest of you, too).
http://www.youtube.com/v/_emyfMmI3oU

A bit dark, I know. I need to fiddle with the settings a bit.

Cheers
Willy

art128

Nice picture and video, Willy!

Props & Texture Catalog

noahclem

Awesome pictures guys and very cool video Willy!

RickD

Is this thread dead again? Well, maybe you'll like my nighshots.

Come on, post more trains!
My name is Raphael.

art128

Of course I do! beautiful pictures. The long exposure shot is fantastic.

I'll try to take pictures of train someday when riding my bike... Someday....

Props & Texture Catalog

Swordmaster

Good pix, Raphael. I haven't worked much due to the holidays, though, so not a lot of imagery from me.

Cheers
Willy

threestooges

Willy, nice pictures and great video. If I viewed them right, you run a diesel? If so, it's much quieter (at least in the cab) from a number of the beasts we have around here. A few questions about cross-pond operations though: the buzzer you can hear periodically in the video, is that the reminder to press the "not dead" button? What's the purpose of the bell when you pass each block signal? Are there any signals sounded from the train at a level crossing, or is it just the gates and lights there?

Raphael, that first one is great. Where were you standing to get that sort of shot of a yard?

I think I may have to shuffle through a few of my recent ones to post here.
-Matt

Swordmaster

Matt, I run both. There used to be a time when service was segregated, but the past decade that practice has been discontinued. Since the vast majority of our network is electrified, diesels run mainline services only when there's a shortage of engines. There's only two trains that require diesel on principle, and my last pictures were from one of them.

In any case, diesel is much quieter than the electric engines. That's because in the latter, the ventilation sits right behind the cab and makes a heck of a noise (well over 100db in some engines). No such ventilation required in diesel, of course. The engine in this particular locomotive sits outside of the cab's framework (it's in the "nose" in that video) and is well isolated. Moreover, it only has around 1,500 HP - in fact it's a shunting engine, not a mainliner. You notice this when I say that train was only around 1,800 tonnes and with two engines still took most of the video's time to get up to speed. Rather than make a roaring noise, it just starts whistling at higher revolutions, which is why we call them "teakettles".

Correct on the buzzer. The bell is part of the train protection system: every block signal sends out an impulse to the engine. Green rings a bell, yellow requires you press a button to show you got it. To be honest, I've never understood the reason for that bell, though it's become a comforting sound.

There are so many level crossings here that sounding horns would be a full-time job, not to mention that population density here means there's always someone going to complain. The only regular time we have to blast is when entering tunnels and when approaching trackside workers etc. In fact, the level crossings have their own bells to warn drivers.

Cheers
Willy