• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaman

oh thank you very much, Tiberius. My bad, I mixed something up when I tried to reproduce the problem. Here's the correct situation:

The OWR-3 is supposed to go from right to left, the OWR-2 is going to the upper part of the picture. All is fine, except when I drag the slip lane, it tries to convert the OWR-2 into a OWR-3, but only on one side...

mgb204

It doesn't like like there is sufficient stability for NWM OWRxNWM OWR setups yet. Although basic support for slip lanes from/to OWR-3 interacting with other networks is there. I'd guess right now it works with Roads/OWR-2/Ave, anything else you can get stable is a bonus.

Seaman

ok, thx mgb. I simply wasn't sure wether this is something I should bring to attention.

Thx to the NAM team to include the additional cappabilities regardless.

superjugy

Hello. I'm new to the NAM community. I hope this question hasn't been asked before. But is there plans to make Y intersections? specially, diagonal Y intersections?

This is what I'm referring to:

does such a thing exists?

Thanks a lot. BTW I love this mod.it's so cool!

APSMS

@superjugy: Due to a number of time constraints during development, NWM development is currently on hold. Although Alex and the rest of the NAM Team would love to have better diagonal intersection integration for the NWM, right now the state of things is such that any diagonal intersections that you are able to make are there as an easter egg of sorts and are unsupported.

Diagonal Y intersections are probably further down the list in terms of supported intersections (basic DxO and DxD intersections would be first, in all those combinations), though I'm sure if the NAM Team could easily integrate them into the codebase, and if the textures have been made, then they will do so as time permits. The number of proper NAM coders is limited to 3.5 right now (IIRC) so things will move as they will. Maybe we'll see some more robust development on that front in a few years. Perhaps the FTL project will float your boat in the meantime.

(It may also be worth noting that the current diagonal Y intersection setup with RDxRD or AVExAVE isn't very ideal in terms of aesthetics or geometry, which means it might also warrant more dev time even after proper NWM diagonal functionality hits the shelves, and none of this has any kind of scheduled release date at all, even internally.)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

superjugy

It's ok. Just wanted to know if it was planned. I found a workaround so it is fine. Again, awesome mod guys. Looks and feels really cool.  :bnn:

Tarkus

I can confirm APSMS' comments on NWM development.  The Y-intersections like that hadn't been on our radar, mainly as they're even more complicated the (already complex) diagonal intersections, and the texture work would be considerably more involved than it is for the base setups.  There's also the matter of the desired intersection priority as well.   

I can't guarantee it'd be anything we'd get to particularly soon, but now that the subject has been brought up, I am somewhat curious as to how something like this would be best implemented.

I'll also add in passing that we may end up covering some of the base diagonal intersection setups via the FLEX Turn Lane system, and particularly with the multi-tile networks.  It'd likely accelerate the development process (particularly for some of the more potentially popular setups) as well.

-Alex

superjugy

This is what I was trying to accomplish:

This is the close up of my workaround. Just shift two tiles from the corner and leave a little tail hanging (2 tiles as well) and all is good. Unless you have OCD. But I guess I can live with this.

On another topic. Why is it that sometimes the following happens:

but other times doesn't:

How can I fix it? do I need to bulldoze the whole diamond and try again?

Tarkus

First off, that's some really impressive NWM work . . . definitely the most I've seen of the extant diagonal intersections in action. :thumbsup:

To answer your question about the interchange, the RHW-4 does not support at-grade intersections with any of the NWM networks, so the result will be either the RHW-4 or the NWM network reverting back to their respective base networks, much as happened in your image.  This is planned to change in the near future, however.  The first interchange image also seems to have the RHW transitioning to Road right before the intersection, which would also create an issue.

-Alex

superjugy

Thanks! glad you liked it. When you say "at grade" does that mean that if I leave a few more tiles between the ramp and the intersection with the road it won't revert?

Tarkus

Quote from: superjugy on August 24, 2018, 09:09:11 AM
When you say "at grade" does that mean that if I leave a few more tiles between the ramp and the intersection with the road it won't revert?

By at-grade, I mean that the two networks are intersecting at the same level (ground level, in this case), rather than an over/underpass situation.  There is no code at all (nor any textures or paths) to support the intersection in the current NAM, so unfortunately, you will get the same result regardless of the distance between the ramp and the intersection.  The single-lane MIS Ramp does support at-grade intersections with the TLA-7 (as it has since the TLA-7's debut in 2011), or alternatively, you might be able to transition the RHW-4 to One-Way Road right before the intersection on both sides, since TLA-7 x OWR is supported.

-Alex

superjugy

I see. I'll try the OWR trick and see if it helps. Thanks!

matias93

About the ARD-3 tail, you could try use the RHW disconnector to cut it and put buildings in it's place. I'm not completely sure about what would happen with the pathing while doing that, but given that there are a couple of intersections before, I'm sure no commuters will end trapped inside it.

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

Seaman

Quote from: matias93 on August 25, 2018, 07:48:49 AM
About the ARD-3 tail, you could try use the RHW disconnector to cut it and put buildings in it's place. I'm not completely sure about what would happen with the pathing while doing that, but given that there are a couple of intersections before, I'm sure no commuters will end trapped inside it.

I had the same idea and think it should be totally fine, maybe one should avoid clicking around on the roads afterwards...?

roadgeek

Quote from: APSMS on August 21, 2018, 09:35:05 PM
The number of proper NAM coders is limited to 3.5 right now (IIRC) so things will move as they will.

Are there any Rule Coding Tutorials out there on YouTube?

mgb204

I know people learn in different ways, but I have serious doubts any video could really explain RUL coding properly. I can't really point you to a tutorial, I simply don't know of one, but there is some basic information available on the SC4D Wiki about RUL.

There are multiple RUL types, RUL0, RUL1, RUL2, INRUL and others. RUL0 handles items in the game menus, i.e. Tab Rings. RUL1 tells the game what to do when two base networks intersect. RUL2 is override code, the most useful, so if a junction exists for the base networks in RUL1, adding RUL2 can allow override networks to also function in such situations.

So I'm guessing what you really want to focus upon is RUL2 coding? Bear in mind you'll need textures, exemplars and paths too for anything you make to work. In fact, without those first two, starting on the RUL2 code is rather pointless.

I was working on an RUL2 tutorial, going through an example step by step. It's 90% complete now, but I had a long hiatus with it and right now simply don't have the time to finish it off. But I do hope eventually and before too long, I'll be able to finalise that. To my knowledge, no such tutorial exists at present. In that case it was to make a Diagonal Viaduct Rail over Tram in Avenue override. Start with something very specific like this and open a thread in the NAM forums. Make the basic textures or models you need, then ask for assistance. Those who show aptitude and commitment to do something, will find help and assistance from the team. But many people think this stuff is easy and can simply be learned with a 10m tutorial, which is not a realistic expectation. Since it takes considerable time to explain these things and help people through the process, there is an expectation on the part of those whose time you are requesting here.

eggman121

To echo mgb204's post I am all for initiative and we will help anyone who has the desire to have a go at Coding in the various RUL formats for the game.

Unfortunately the RUL stuff I do usually comes once I have created the source files. You have to code something like a set of pieces that are created to see how it all links in together.

If you are really interested you can use the various tools such as Rivit's Bender tool to make smooth curve textures and a set of graphics Programs like paint.net, GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) and if you have a copy Photoshop.

You also have to have to have some knowledge of the various Modding tools like Ilive's Reader.

So this is the method I would go by...

1) Request a Test IID range from the NAM team. That way you can work with files that will not interfere with the current files. A test plugins folder is also advised.

2) make a FSH based texture like a curve or intersection and Split it up. Most easily done by using Rivit's GoFSH slice and dice section of the program.

3) If you use GoFSH the IIDs should be applied automatically within the first 4 digits with increments base on the settings.

4) All the tiles for splitup Piece should have dimensions of 128 x 128 pixels. There are some exceptions but I would not worry too much that part.

5) To avoid lagging a path file for each piece should be included "SC4Path file GID for Texture tile(s): 0x69668828" that is a FSH file and the IID should be the same as the affected Texture.

6) Once done you can start RULing. I use INRULs for draggable only pieces. We should be in a position to offer you advice on what you can use to get the piece in game.

Small steps are needed and if something does not work straight off the bat don't worry. It took us a bit to learn as well.

Hope that gives you some insight. Happy learning.

-eggman121

j-dub

Quote from: superjugy on August 23, 2018, 12:30:54 PM
On another topic. Why is it that sometimes the following happens:

but other times doesn't:

How can I fix it? do I need to bulldoze the whole diamond and try again?

I didn't see what you said sooner, but did you ever get it to work? I struggle with stabilized builds myself, so if attached makes it down there, your junction almost looks like something I did, doing it your way, the games mechanics are seriously tricky, so sticking a piece down there was my only option if I wanted to guarentee it held up. Not sure if there is a push to do less puzzle pieced development, but the thing is, those were more stable than not when it came to these cross junction situations. I would love to explain how I made this happen, but it's too complex for me.

superjugy

Sadly, no. I couldn't make it work, even with the one ways. The one ways fix one aspect of it which is the junction itself, but after having one ways on both sides of the interchange, then road below the highway transforms into 2 2-lane Roads instead of the TLA5. Which is kind of expected since why would there be a center lane below the Highway. But I would have to transform from TLA5 to AV4 then junction with one ways and then back to TLA5. haven't tried it yet, seems like to much hastle.

Wiimeiser

Hmm... Maybe this setup needs some unique FTLs...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...