• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Changing the size (or city sizes) of a region: altering config files

Started by slinkyhead, June 15, 2010, 02:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slinkyhead

Basically, I have downloaded a fantastic map (SC4M and associated config) which is perfect for my needs except it is too large (16 x 16 large city tiles).  I want to create the exact same map but based on an 8 x 8 large city til configuration.

I have created a config file for this but I can't for the life of me work out how to create the map.  I am happy to use either the SC4 Terraformer or the SC4 Mapper but I guess the SC4 Terraformer is the better tool for the job.  If I try and import the image (original SC4M) into the smaller region (8 x 8) I get a message saying the dimensions are different and won't let me do it.  I have also tried to save the image and export the original SC4M into a PNG (16 bit) to alter the dimensions in Photoshop but when it creates the 16-bit image it makes it greyscale which when I import back into SC4 Mapper /Terraformer is all over the place (the conversion from the colour SC4M file into grayscale doesn't seem to work properly).

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Edit: changed title to hopefully help others in the future

wouanagaine

if you want to stretch/shrink a region :
in SC4TF, create your normal region and export to 16bit png
create a new region with your new config bmp size ie create a new folder in MyDoc\SC4\Regions and put the new config.bmp in it
Load the new region in SC4T ( everything will be black ) and import the 16bit png, SC4TF will ask you if you want to resize the imported image to match the region size,
Save and voila
no need to go to photoshop

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

slinkyhead

Many thanks for the quick response.

To clarify I will follow this process.

1.Open SC4TF and create a region using the original config and original SC4M file
2. Export to 16 bit png
3. Close SC4TF
4. Open SC4TF and create a region using my new config (this will be in the MyDoc\SC4\Regions\New Folder)
5. Import image (navigate to the 16 bit png file)
6. Click to accept to resize to the region size
7. Save

I tried various methods last night and did some of these steps, I will try this evening again but one thing I did notice was when I exported to 16 bit PNG it produced a very grey (alomst black) image.  Is this correct?  When I import into SC4TF will it be able to read this to convert the dark grey bits to dark blue (i.e. the sea) or light brown (mountain tops)?

wouanagaine

Yes the steps seems ok

16 bit png are very black unless your average height on your region is above 3000m for which you'll get a 50% dark in photoshop,  but for "normal sea level" region you'll get almost black

And SC4TF will recognize a 16bit png and will handle it correctly

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

slinkyhead