• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

[REL] SCAG/JLY Large Hangar

Started by joelyboy911, April 06, 2010, 11:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joelyboy911

You may remember my Air New Zealand Engineering hangar that I BATted and am in the process of submitting for LEX scrutineering.

You may also remember that I promised everyone a generic hangar without the Air New Zealand brand on it.

Well, here it is:

It is set up so that you can re-lot it with any existing BAT aircraft, right up to Tabi's A380 (but not the AN-225). The flexibility is endless, as the 747s currently in there are AC's ones that in fact have jetways attached. Hope to make this prop available ASAP.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

strucka

nice hangars! Great job! Just the 747's don't fit inside. They're just to big of a birds. Are there any real life 747 hangars? It seems to me as if they are kept only outside.

joelyboy911

They fit alright - this hangar is built on real life measurements (my Air NZ hangar is a RL replica). In these pictures I left the back end of the plane sticking out a bit so we could see it well in SC4.

You're right that 747s (and most other large aircraft) are kept outside (kept busy most of the time if they're with an airline), but they go to these hangars for their maintenance, repairs, inspections.

Any international airport that's a hub for a major airline will usually have a hangar or two (or more) of this size (or larger). As I said this one was originally based of Auckland Airport's Air New Zealand hangar, as ANZ has a (relatively small) fleet of Long-Haul Boeing 747, 777 and 767. Though some maintenance is outsourced (don't get me started) they still perform some aspects of it at Auckland.

Thanks guys, I'll be back to show how I plan to release these in a few days or so.

Well, this is how I've constructed the lots:

You place the hangar, then the lot with the plane underneath. Beware that I won't be lotting any planes for release. I'll release a pack consisting the hangar overhang lot, the template lot for the planes, and a closed version of the hangar. Then you can fire up LE, stick a plane on the lot, hit "Save As" then plop it in game. If you're really clever/lazy you could plop down the blank template lot and use one of my aircraft MMPs (when they're released) and then chuck the hangar overtop (I haven't tested whether or not this actually works yet).
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

thepokemaniac

Great airplane hangars! Will you be planning on making any long and large ones, such as the one you may find at ATL or other large airports with maintenance facilities?

Adam
Howdy y'all!

joelyboy911

Thank you! I haven't planned any more hangars so far, though there's one in particular I do have my eye on.

This is a Qantas maintenance facility at Brisbane airport (Queensland, Australia) At 200x130 metres (~600x390 feet) its a pretty massive structure. If you can provide me pictures to go off, I'm happy to consider any requests (time, degree of difficulty, size permitting). Just shoot me a PM any time.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Koekie01

This is a very good idea! And the way we have to build it is very clever. Any idea when it will be released?

Koekie

Koekie01

Following your candadicy I think the release is a only a few days.

Am I right?  ::)

Koekie

joelyboy911

Oh, I'm sorry, the LEX Candidacy (current one) is only for the Air New Zealand Engineering Centre. But I will upload the generic hangars on the STEX as soon as they're ready, so as to not keep you waiting too long. I'll get onto finishing the lots off tonight.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

michael_nz40

This is fantastic! Nice work!

Any plans to upgrade this to include the new additions to Hangar 3? We've just completed a major renovation project to add new workshops, new aircraft docks, and a new hardstand next to it (complete with airbridge). It's our "next generation" facility for our new fleet of "next generation" aircraft.

Also, I notice that this building is set to shut down at night, with all the engineers going home. The engineering base operates 24 hours a day. There are usually several night shifts working in Hangar 3 throughout the night. I've done my fair share of night shifts in there. It'd be great to see the lights on in there at night.

One more thing; as a result of the renovation project, aircraft can now "tail-in" in the hangar leaving room just inside the doors for aircraft such as A320s either side of the wide body aircraft. The plan is for wide body aircraft, such as 777's, to sit in there for several days during a light maintenance check, with space for A320s to "drop-in" at night for their maintenance. They'll go in in the evening and be out before sunrise. I don't know if it's possible, but it would be awesome to see A320s parked behind the wide body aircraft at night, and then gone again during the day.

(Images taken from GoogleEarth)

Anyway, thanks for this awesome lot!

joelyboy911

Hey Michael, that is awesome! Is that just Google Earth's 3d building view? I'm definitely interested in updating the hangar now that I've seen this! What will the airbridge be used for? I can definitely add one, I'm just curious about it.

Also if there are any photos of the facility that you know of, they would be helpful. I don't really know what the walls of the new workshop areas should look like, and I'm also interested in BATting other hangars.

I also have an A320 model that can be added very easily.

With regard to night operations, it is something that I've experimented with, without a great deal of success as yet. The most difficult part has been achieving an illusion of lights hitting the floor without adding a solid floor to the model, as it is fairly easy to light the aircraft.

This has come at a perfect time when I am just building a new airport, and I have improved A320 and 777 models at hand. Thanks again for your post!
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

maxosha

What do you say about this hangar?

p.s. what happened with hangar from QANTAS at Brisbane, will it be released?

thx :)

michael_nz40

Hey Joelyboy,

Yep, that's from Google Earth - 3D buildings. The airbridge will be used to perform interior maintenance and upgrade work on aircraft. They'll park on the new hardstand and the airbridge will allow engineers to go back and forward between the aircraft and the interiors area of the workshops. Short walking distances, no vertical travel to get inside the aircraft and easy removal of interior parts equals increased efficiency. Plus it's just a heck of a lot easier for the engineers. The airbridge hasn't actually been installed yet. It's a couple of weeks away. The hardstand area's also been built to allow another hangar to be built over it in case it's ever decided we need another one in the future.

The walls of the workshops are the same as the hangar; corrugated iron cladding. The Google Maps 3D model shows it pretty accurately. It was such a nice day yesterday though that I decided to take some photos. (Excuse the warping due to the panoramic function on my camera.)

Back of the workshops:

Apron and Hangar 3

That's a shame with lighting the Hangar floor. That would be cool. Just out of curiosity, why not add a solid floor to the model?

A tiny detail I noticed with the Hangar model; it doesn't matter, what you did looks fine, but I'm assuming you thought those big tubes on the side of the hangar were pipes? They've been removed now, but they actually used to have giant counter weights in them for the fuselage docks in the hangar. Those docks were very heavy! As part of the renovation project the docks were removed and new ones were installed.

Anyway, again, nice work, and I can't wait to see the updated LOT! :D

joelyboy911

Thanks for the pictures! That's not on an iPhone camera is it? I was just wondering since I have an app on mine that makes panorama images like that (often the walls don't appear parrallel). They look good, and it should be fairly easy to update the model. It will be interesting to park a 777 attached to the new airbridge too.

I have been looking at ways to add a lighted floor, and have had some success, but the reason I don't want to add a solid floor to the hangar is that I would rather have continuity with the ground texture outside.

You'd be quite right in thinking that many aspects of the lot/BAT don't really reflect the real-life operations of the maintenance and engineering facility, and I feel I should explain that this is for two main reasons: First is my ignorance about their running - I am merely a fan of Air New Zealand (I'm a taxpayer so I suppose I'm a shareholder too :P), and secondly, perhaps more importantly; I compromised some hardline realism for in-game ease of use and visual interest. For instance the the tubes you mentioned. I had thought indeed that they were pipes, for airconditioning or somesuch. I could remove them, but I feel the sides of the hangar would then be too bland.

I'm always happy to have expert opinion on my work! I never thought someone who works in the building would be commenting on it. :D I can't promise when I'll do the additional work, but I'm excited about it.

That Lufthansa hangar seems quite complicated from a BAT perspective, Maxosha, and I didn't ever start the Qantas one, but instead started work on this Virgin Blue (now Virgin Australia) hangar from the same airport, which I have recently done some more work on.

SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

michael_nz40

Nope, not an iphone. Just an old digital camera, lol.

If you're worried about continuity with the outside ground texture, in my opinion a different texture would actually add to the realism since the hangar floor in real life is a different texture. You could even add the tracks that the doors travel along. Some hangars elsewhere in the world even have a fully painted floor, and I can see Hangar 3 going that way in the future too.

I totally understand about not knowing about the details of the hangar. Unless you work there you couldn't know. I think you've done an amazing job for someone who's only viewed it from a distance. Heck, it'd be an amazing job for someone who worked there every day too! As I was leaving today I noticed that only two of the counterweight tubes were removed. The two at the door end are still there (although no longer used). I reckon they look cool. I'd definitely leave them in too if I was you.

Sorry, I'm not meaning to hi-jack your LOT. It's just so cool to see Hangar 3 in SC4! And you've done such a great job. I can't wait to see the new facility added on to it if and when you get time to do it.

That Virgin Blue hangar is impressive too by the way!

Koekie01

Quote from: joelyboy911 on April 07, 2010, 01:42:35 AM

Well, this is how I've constructed the lots:

You place the hangar, then the lot with the plane underneath. Beware that I won't be lotting any planes for release. I'll release a pack consisting the hangar overhang lot, the template lot for the planes, and a closed version of the hangar. Then you can fire up LE, stick a plane on the lot, hit "Save As" then plop it in game. If you're really clever/lazy you could plop down the blank template lot and use one of my aircraft MMPs (when they're released) and then chuck the hangar overtop (I haven't tested whether or not this actually works yet).

Hi joelyboy911!

Building an airport now, I'm curious if you're still planning to release these overhanging lots. Because you have released a prop pack of this hangars, but not an Lot pack.

Koekie