• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Unhandled Exception Error in SC4 Tool. Help!

Started by lonedog62, September 02, 2007, 02:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lonedog62

I really like using the SC4 Tool for checking on dependencies. Recently I had to rebuild my computer after losing my main hard drive  :'(. I upgraded my motherboard, processor and memory at the same time. I got everything reinstalled and the new system works great and am enjoying SC4 even more now that I have lots of speed  :D.

I've run into a problem with the SC4 Tool though  :(. I can get the tool to start, but whenever I click on any of the menus or try to use the Scan option I get an Unhandled Exception Error. I'm using the latest available version of the tool (v2.2.7_english) and have Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 installed. My OS is Win XP Pro with all the service packs and patches applied, my processor is an Intel 2140 @1.6GHz (dual core) and I have 2GB RAM. I've unistalled and reinstalled, and have even tried using a different language version to no avail. I had this problem on my old system but managed to fix it (on the old system) when I found out that it might be related to menu speed settings. I've confirmed that doesn't appear to be the problem this time. Here's the error message I get:

Error Message:

An unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application. Click continue
and application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.

'0' is not a valid value for Interval. Interval must be greater than 0.

Details:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: '0' is not a valid value for Interval. Interval must be greater than 0.
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.set_Interval(Int32 value)
   at TD.SandBar.b..ctor(PopupMenu A_0, i A_1, Screen A_2)
   at TD.SandBar.PopupMenu.a(i A_0, Screen A_1)
   at TD.SandBar.i.a(TopLevelMenuItemBase A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2, Point A_3)
   at TD.SandBar.i.b(TopLevelMenuItemBase A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2, Point A_3)
   at TD.SandBar.TopLevelMenuItemBase.Show(Boolean select)
   at TD.SandBar.TopLevelMenuItemBase.Show()
   at TD.SandBar.ToolBar.OnItemPush(ToolbarItemBase item, Point position)
   at TD.SandBar.ToolBar.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at TD.SandBar.ToolBar.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2407
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SC4Tool
    Assembly Version: 2.2.7.0
    Win32 Version: 2.2.7.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/Maxis/SimCity%204%20Deluxe/Tools/SC4Tool/SC4Tool.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2032
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2407
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
SandBar
    Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/Maxis/SimCity%204%20Deluxe/Tools/SC4Tool/SandBar.DLL
SandDock
    Assembly Version: 1.0.6.1
    Win32 Version: 1.0.6.1
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/sanddock/1.0.6.1__75b7ec17dd7c14c3/sanddock.dll
sr_SC4Lib
    Assembly Version: 2.1.3.0
    Win32 Version: 2.1.3.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/Maxis/SimCity%204%20Deluxe/Tools/SC4Tool/sr_SC4Lib.DLL
System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.data/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.data.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.xml/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.xml.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 7.0.5000.0
    Win32 Version: 7.10.6001.4
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/microsoft.visualbasic/7.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/microsoft.visualbasic.dll
sr_Resources
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2205.21686
    Win32 Version: 1.0.2205.21686
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/Maxis/SimCity%204%20Deluxe/Tools/SC4Tool/sr_Resources.DLL
Eyefinder
    Assembly Version: 1.0.4.2
    Win32 Version: 1.0.4.2
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/Maxis/SimCity%204%20Deluxe/Tools/SC4Tool/Eyefinder.DLL
C1.Win.C1FlexGrid
    Assembly Version: 2.5.20052.212
    Win32 Version: 2.5.20052.213
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/Maxis/SimCity%204%20Deluxe/Tools/SC4Tool/C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.DLL
C1.Common
    Assembly Version: 1.0.20031.116
    Win32 Version: 1.0.20042.118
    CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/c1.common/1.0.20031.116__e272bb32d11b1948/c1.common.dll
FSHLib
    Assembly Version: 0.3.2.41616
    Win32 Version: 0.3.2.41616
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/Maxis/SimCity%204%20Deluxe/Tools/SC4Tool/FSHLib.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

Rabbyt

You are not the only one encountering this or similar error. At least I think my error is related and may help finding the actual problem. FYI I'm on a fresh (you can't really call it new anymore) install of Windows 98. Just updated the browser to Version 6 something SP 1 and installed microsoft.Net framework 1.1

Ok, the error message which displays long before any crash is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\MenuShowDelay=0
This causes problems to menu functionality.
Please change the value to something >0

Now "MenuShowDelay" was found in 4 files:  data1.hdr , User.dat , User.exe , System.dll
but I found that this was not the path to the solution!

A Quick search on the internet found the culprit and a means to alter the setting.
Bring up the DOS command line and initiate "regedit"
CTRL F for the find tool and search for the "MenuShowDelay"
select in the window if not already selected and initiate the modify sequence (right click or pull down menu?)
Enter a value like 400. believed to be milliseconds. I read that this is the time delay before a menu window closes after removing the mouse. EXIT!

Hope this works for you, and any future people. I has for me, but what a journey to get here.

Larry

[EDIT 080129]Ok, so there was a little more than what I thought.

[EDIT 080130] Next evening and clearer thinking; &idea RESTART THE COMPUTER!!! duh.; MenuShowDelay value propgates through out system and voilá no more error message and no more crash messages when selecting pull down menus.

this statement is the clue

System.Windows.Forms.Timer.set_Interval(Int32 value)

That "value" must be greater than zero. Where this is to be found or stored?? I'm not sure yet, I've run out of time for the night and I'm no windows wizard, just a persistent searcher. Perhaps it is a program bug?
Not a bug in the usual sense but an avoidable issue.

There is a similar thread here - http://www.componentfactory.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2850&sid=3891351ce1c8c05e4221778db9a61c11
and here - http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=240090

xxdita

And since XP doesn't have DOS, you can get to RegEdit from Start/Run or by typing it in your address bar if you have that on your taskbar.

Highrise99

I've had a simmilar problem, but instead of an error message, I get these strange lines growing that turn into windows. I always have to use the task manager to close the program each time. This is important as I need to create dependencies for Elliptical Plaza. In case this is important, I use Windows 7 Home Primeum 64 bit.

Andreas

Can you provide a screenshot? I have no idea what "strange lines" you're talking about.
Andreas

Lowkee33

It sounds like many error windows appearing very fast.

Highrise99

This should help:

If I click anywhere, the program won't respond, so I always have to start the task manager.  Just a note that I can do anything that doesn't involve a menu.

Andreas

Did you follow the advice to disable Aero and Desktop Composition in the "Compatibility" tab of the EXE properties?
Andreas

Highrise99

Quote from: Andreas on October 03, 2010, 06:33:15 AM
Did you follow the advice to disable Aero and Desktop Composition in the "Compatibility" tab of the EXE properties?
Thank you! I checked "Disable desktop composition," the color sheme was automatically changed to windows basic, and it worked.

spursrule14

I just encountered this and here's how I fixed it on Windows XP....go to start --> run --> regedit --> H_KEY_CURRENT_USER --> click 'Desktop' folder --> change MenuShowDelay to 1. Close registry editor, then restart computer.  :thumbsup:

M4346

Quote from: Highrise99 on October 04, 2010, 06:30:19 PM
Quote from: Andreas on October 03, 2010, 06:33:15 AM
Thank you! I checked "Disable desktop composition," the color sheme was automatically changed to windows basic, and it worked.

This is still the best and most effective advice.

I also had a similar issue with, when you click on any drop down menu in the menu bar, it would pop up and have little lines running along it (top, bottom and side) and then only load.

Disabling desktop composition in compatibility tab of .exe file fixes it.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine