• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Making custom signs for the RHW and MHW.

Started by Opkl, June 05, 2011, 06:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opkl

I would like to know how I could make signs for the game. Is there a tutorial? Is there a program I might need to install? Should I use signmaker, and if I do, how do I transfer them to in-game? Thank you.

MandelSoft

Hello Opkl.

First, you should check out my tutorial on SimTropolis: http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/topic/33646-tutorial-how-to-bat-a-sign/page__p__937298__hl__tutorial+bat+signs__fromsearch__1#entry937298

Second, you have to install gMax and the BAT. You can use Signmaker for your signs, but I prefer to use InkScape (freeware vector image editing, available at inkscape.org). Although InkScape might be harder to work with, it does allow you more flexibility.

Good luck with creating signs!

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Opkl

Quote from: mrtnrln on June 05, 2011, 11:31:15 PM
Hello Opkl.

First, you should check out my tutorial on SimTropolis: http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/topic/33646-tutorial-how-to-bat-a-sign/page__p__937298__hl__tutorial+bat+signs__fromsearch__1#entry937298

Second, you have to install gMax and the BAT. You can use Signmaker for your signs, but I prefer to use InkScape (freeware vector image editing, available at inkscape.org). Although InkScape might be harder to work with, it does allow you more flexibility.

Good luck with creating signs!

Best,
Maarten

Thanks for the tutorial mrtnrln. One question though, I remember reading on the RHW thread that some networks, (8c/6s) will be smaller in the next release to remove the overhang. Will the sign widths change for those networks?

It's after 2:30am where I live so I will start tomorrow.  &Thk/( %wrd /wrrd%&

MandelSoft

Expect the new lane width of the RHW will be 4.5m, while in the current version this is 5m.

Opkl

Quote from: mrtnrln on June 06, 2011, 03:31:30 AM
Expect the new lane width of the RHW will be 4.5m, while in the current version this is 5m.

So 4.5m would be the width of the RHW 6s? What would the width of the new 8c be?

MandelSoft

Well, let me sum up the widths of the networks (give or take):

- The RHW-2 is 2x4.5m (1x2 lanes) + 2x1.5 (shoulders) = 12m wide
- The RHW-3 is 3x4.5m (2+1 lanes) + 2x1.25 (shoulders) = 16m wide
- The RHW-4 is 2x4.5m (2 lanes) + 1m (inner shoulder) + 4m (outer shoulder) = 14m wide (+2m grass median).
- The RHW-6S is 3x4.5m (3 lanes) + 1m (inner shoulder) + 4m (outer shoulder) = 18.5m wide.
- The RHW-8S is 4x4.5m (4 lanes) + 1m (inner shoulder) + 4m (outer shoulder) = 23m wide.
- The RHW-10S is 5x4.5m (5 lanes) + 1m (inner shoulder) + 4m (outer shoulder) = 27.5m wide.
- The RHW-6C is 6x4.5m (2x3 lanes) + 4m (median) + 2x4m (outer shoulder) = 41m wide.
- The RHW-8C is 8x4.5m (2x4 lanes) + 4m (median) + 2x4m (outer shoulder) = 48m wide.

This will get you started  ;)

Best,
Maarten