• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Maxis Replacement low density residential

Started by mattb325, October 28, 2011, 07:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SC4BOY

Love to see you turn your skills in this direction.. will be eagerly watching.. :)

Simcitler

I'm loving those two stories Euro buildings. Also the Houston ones are great.  &apls

Great work.  :thumbsup:

antn

These look lovely and they will be very useful, however I think that they look a bit too stretched on the z-axis, especially those euro tileset ones from the last update. The garage doors look like they would fit a truck which they IMO should not. Anyway, keep up thegood work. :)

mattb325

Hi all, thankyou for the comments.

Just to quickly answer some questions.

Scale: the floors on the R$$ are 4.5m to 4.7m, depending on the style of dwelling.

The scale probably looks out because I used the 10x12 Houston Bungalow - which is grossly underscaled even by Maxis standards - as a comparison. Anything next to it will look large....

I have attached a pic with the Maxis NY and Chicago 10x12 houses squeezed in between the houses. I have also attached a pic with the Maxis R$$ garage sqeezed in between the houses. These are the first two pictures attached to this post.

In both cases they line up (garages and roof lines) so the scale is pretty spot on.

Dwelling style: - the Euro set for single dwelling new houses is always going to be a bit tricky, as new suburban houses tend to be relatively similar the world over.
Most European cities - even in exurban areas have higher densities than the equivalent US cities, so I am going to have to take some liberties. Even Maxis used greens and greys as well as reds for their Euro homes, so I won't just be doing red terracotta roofing and whitewashed walls.
I have had to draw inspiritation from not just 'traditional Europe' but the UK, the Scandinavian, and, the most Eastern parts of Europe which have been going through something of a suburbanisation in recent years to get this set.

As for the modernity of Euro houses - Europe has led the way since the 1970s. I have heaps of pics, but I'll attach two RL examples, one from Paris - quite an old house now (with a brown roof no less $%Grinno$%), but futuristic when built - and one from Rotterdam - still very futuristic!

But if the futuristic homes on the R$ set bother users, I will leave them out.

Terring7

Quote from: mattb325 on November 06, 2011, 11:14:12 AMBut if the futuristic homes on the R$ set bother users, I will leave them out.

Don't leave them out my friend, I love futuristic buildings and I want those little guys in my cities really bad ;D
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

mike3775

futuristic is fine with me as well Matt.  Its variety I desire for homes.  I don't care how crappy a lot looks, if it can spring to life around the city adding variety, I am all for it  :)

Jayster

Quote from: mike3775 on November 06, 2011, 02:03:22 PM
futuristic is fine with me as well Matt.  Its variety I desire for homes.  I don't care how crappy a lot looks, if it can spring to life around the city adding variety, I am all for it  :)

Quote from: Terring7 on November 06, 2011, 01:26:46 PM
Quote from: mattb325 on November 06, 2011, 11:14:12 AMBut if the futuristic homes on the R$ set bother users, I will leave them out.

Don't leave them out my friend, I love futuristic buildings and I want those little guys in my cities really bad ;D

Perhaps make it as an option during the install process or put them in seperaite folders so you don't have to have any houses you don't want.

Jayster

mattb325

Thanks guys

PS....this is not intended to offend anyone, it's just a bit of very, very light-hearted banter  :D

jmyers2043

Talk about white shoes?

First item on the Home Owner Association agenda is the block party in front of Ms. Sutphin's home. "I think a good time was had by all" said a very pleased Phil Padruski, president of the association. We really got a kick of watching the kids lining up along Sadmaxis street twisting and grinding around and about." The merriment really took off when a band called "the Australian Zoot Suits' went into a swing craze! In fact all the neighbors did the "Lindberg Hop" and the "White-Shoe-Shake.  %$payas)(   

I like the two story versions. You've changed the roof trim to brown. All of your homes have white and I'm glad you changed.

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mattb325

Thanks Jim. Used a cream trim for this next one  :D

But it would appear Beverly Sutphin has much to fear about her pleasant neighborhood going to hell in the proverbial handbasket...

mike3775

Looking good Matt.  I so cannot wait for these to be released

DAB_City

I'm looking forward to this as well, hating the Maxis buildings with a burning passion  $%#Ninj2
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/

Ricky112233

Okay...I know the last reply was posted more than 90 days ago, however, I'd just like to ask how much you've progressed within these 90 days and whether or not this wonderful project has been put on hold.

Thanks,

-Ricky :thumbsup:
Yes, I love aviation
Yes, I'm interested in the former CIS
Yes, I'm half Dutch-half American
Yes, I'm learning Russian
15--

mattb325

Some small progress: I have made lot and building families with these and these are the results as grown in game...much more work is needed to complete all of the medium wealth homes and then make a start on the high wealth set

However, as I create more models, I can add them to the building set. Just with these models and lot families I already have some 120 potential combinations of building lots from just 27 models. The ultimate aim will be (as seen above) to have all wealth sets blend in with each other a little more.

metarvo

Nice work, Matt.  :thumbsup:  R§ low density housing replacements are a little hard to come by, even though I've downloaded some doublewides to help a little in that department.  I'm thinking your low wealth homes will be a nice non-Maxis bridge between the trailers and the excellent R-§§ content I've acquired (with much of it being yours, by the way :) ).  Of course, the R-§§ and R-§§§ replacements will be welcome as well.  I lol'd at the snow in Houston thing, by the way.  That hardly ever happens (notice I didn't say never, though).  They haul in the firewood when it gets below 60° F, or so I've heard.  ;)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.