• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gugu3

Is the red box the old fort?I would say on top of a hill...with such a position they would have been able to have complete control...or by the junction of the 3 rivers (i am thinking of an old fort like Oslo's castle on the harbour) ;) I really like the land bridge!!!

Girafe

Quite heavy traffic engineering  :thumbsup:
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

romualdillo

I think this is going to be great!!  &apls Well, it's already great, but I think you know what I mean!!  :D
About the old forts, I think it depends on the city's history. If it was first established on a hill, the fort should be on a hill. If it's purpose was being a commercial harbour, the fort should be located near the river's or harbour's mouth. The city can even have more forts or towers if it was big enough... Havana had 4 or 5 forts, so you can put the three, and if you want, one more on the other side of the river... You can look at them on Google Earth, the harbour's shape is similar...

art128

Love the diagonal viaduct.

Romu is right, it depends on what kind of backstory you want to give your city.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

c.p.

Congrats on the OSITM &apls

I imagine the fort ought to be in a place of good visiibility along the river in the direction the marauders would be coming from.

noahclem

Thanks for the comments guys, they were quite helpful. I think I'll do at least a fort at the downriver location noted earlier and probably also one at the site atop the (gradually sloping) hill. I've got some other stuff done recently including the rest of the rail connection to the earlier mentioned cantilever bridge and most of the bridge approaches on the city center side of the river. Will have more on that over the next day or two but for today have a mosaic of the railroads north and south of the central station. Thanks to Stephen for his amazing work on Flextrack that made a lot of this possible!

click

eggman121

Sweet. I like all the new possibilities that the FlexTrack for the RRW plugin that I have been working on will give to so many users  ;D

Thank you for the showcase. I notice a few sections, especially the R5 curve where it has not fully converted yet. Clicking on it will resolve the problem  ;)

An some of the switches could be converted to a dual crossover between two DTRs. I'm sure you know the pattern.

Yes, I am the one that has been working on the FlexTrack as most of you know! It is still early stages but who knows  ::)

-eggman121

compdude787

Wow! Not only do you have the new FlexTrack; I also see different-looking TuLEPs. Is that another new NAM feature?
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Kergelen

Great to see Silijoki again active, with new projects! :)

The Silijoki's complexity of the networks has always fascinated me and it's increasing with the time. I like how you play with the slopes and networks. Quite difficult.

I'm curious to see how the walled old-town will looks like. I think the fort may be placed on the hill, but romualdillo is right about history of the city. A good option is a hill near the river with a historic harbour under it.

Links to SC4 websites

kbieniu7

Wow, that's quite a lot of rails and roads... how to manage in such spaghetti? :D I think, that GLR should cross the rivers with normal road traffic. It seems, that you're laying out quite narrow city centre, where there is no much possibilities to create a rapid tramway system, especially that the railway could be the the rapid one.

I repeat what the previous commenters have already said: the location of the fortress depends: on the type of a city and time, when it have been built - both city and fortress. I could give an example of my hometown - Kraków.

Kraków firstly was located somewhen around X century, in a river valley. There is a small hill just by the river, where the first medieval fortress has been built (in the next ages it becames a castle, the headquarters for the kings of Poland). City, that laid upon that hill, had it's own, tight walls, that were demolished in XIX century. However, in the same XIX century the Austrians built a fortress around Kraków. But not a single object - they created not a wall, but a two chains (inner and outer) of single fortress around the whole city. Most of them remains no longer today.

Overview draft map showing some fortress and shape of old Kraków: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zn06CtheItk4.kE7xpGlJbkB0&usp=sharing
http://www.wawel.net/images/forty/archiw_festung/1885_pierscienie%20bastionow_plan.jpg
www.twierdza.art.pl/fortress.htm

I gave you one example, of a real city whith its history. Maybe it will help with inventing and adapting your own one story to your region :)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

romualdillo

OMG!!! I can't wait to see it finished!!  &apls

Oh, that's railway awesomeness. Congratulations to this work, because I can surely imagine that although draggable rail has always been something I wanted to see with a new NAM and draggable FAR and smooth curves for roads are convenient to me, accomplishing this network hasn't been easy.

Gugu3

That track section close to the central station is just epic!The RRW is one of the best plugins for the game!And thanks to Eggman it is now even more awesome &apls &apls

wallasey

I'm made up (happy!) you're back doing what you do best! Building great looking, practical cities in SC4! This project is looking great! I am loving the intricate detailing on the motorway junction next to the river!

Going back a few posts, yes the railway probably wouldn't go through the hills in that manner, although they might be tunneled. It depends how early on the water-frontages were developed? If you had docklands being built in say 1709, the railways won't have come along for another 150 years or so? If the city has then developed around the docks, the hillier terrain is probably the only practical area left.

All the best with this one!

noahclem

Thanks again for all the feedback!! I was trying to get a final update ready for tonight and will have to catch up on replies later, sorry about that.

I've continued to work on the new city, which has largely involved continuing on the major transport projects and filling out the local traffic grid, plus lots of general planning. One focus area has been the railroad link between the mosaic shown in the last update and the bridges next to the interchange that was the first area shown here. I decided a station should be located in the area and ended up with a pretty big one, in part due to the low number of suitable elevated rail stations with more than two platforms. Before I decided a station belonged there I'd picked the nearby quays as the site for cruise and ferry stops so I figured the extra space in the station could be justified as part of that complex. The line designated for high-speed service bypasses the station. I've used elevated rail viaducts for the east approach though was considering switching to an embankment with rails that would appear as the alternative pictured in this mosaic:

click

More on that line and surrounding areas here. The little fort on the island above is a possible style for smaller forts used for areas suggested in earlier posts--I just use that little island for lot of experiments since it's completely flat and empty. I finished the approaches to the wide highway bridges and a good chunk of the tile's major rails. the area near the center using narrower streets is supposed to be part of the older cities, just north of where the old walls ran (some will still be intact)
click

Thanks for the great OSITM  :bnn:

compdude787

That's a nice looking station and the street grid is looking good so far.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

c.p.

That's some intense transportation infrastructure :o

Gugu3

Great transport system so far!hopefully ERRW switches will be available soon &apls

TheTeaCat

Very impressed with your contribution to OSITM  &apls &apls
Quite the transport layout you are creating!!

TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

catty

Quote from: noahclem on November 08, 2015, 05:35:21 PM
click

&apls

I wish I could do this, my road networks always end up looking like spaghetti   ;D
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.