• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

nerdly_dood's Texture Replacement Attempts

Started by nerdly_dood, August 29, 2008, 02:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nerdly_dood

I recently installed the SFBT Euro road mod and ShadowAssassin's Euro RHW texture mod.  But ShadowAssassin's mod doesn't affect RHW-2, which I use(d) frequently when I used DeathToPumpkins' RHW mod. So today I got in SC4 and replaced most of the RHW-2 in my region with roads, but i'm not done yet.  One little tiny thing, which it is certainly within my ability to do, is replace the RHW-2/road transition texture so that I can use a RHW-2/MIS split and a RHW-2/RHW-4 transition with no ugly little piece of gray road with yellow lines when everything else has white lines and black pavement. (The removal of the little piece of gray road is the entire purpose of this mod attempt)

To solve this, I made a little tiny mod which was supposed to replace the RHW-2/road transition texture with the same texture as the standard road texture from the SFBt Euro road mod, and to do this I opened Reader, loaded the RHW mod's main DAT file, identified the RHW-2/road transition texture's IIDs, and then opened up the Euro road mod's main DAT file with the standard Maxis textures, and copied all zoom levels of the straight road texture, and pasted each of them four times (for the four wealth levels - $, $$, $$$, and no wealth) into the blank DAT file that loads every time I open Reader.  Then I changed the IIDs so that they matched the IIDs of the transition texture I was trying to replace, and when that was done I saved the DAT, put it in the Euro road mod folder (which loads AFTER the NAM folder) and loaded the game.

In the particular city tile I was testing it in, the texture appeared fine at first:

But then at all other zoom levels, I get the original RHW-2/road texture:

Are there other RHW-2/road textures I'm missing?

Now I should remind you that I'm not able to use FiSHMan, because my computer runs Windows Vista, so I can't use existing textures to make my own textures and run them through the texture creator in SC4Tool, so I must use textures that already exist--and what better texture to put between whichever puzzle piece I'm using in a particular interchange, than the regular road texture?

I have the DAT file I made attached below.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Shadow Assassin

I'm in the process of working on new textures for all levels of RHW... but it probably won't be released until Alex releases the new RHW mod.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

nerdly_dood

I'm aware of that - which is why I'm doing this now, as a temporary fix until I can use your finished product.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.

videosean

Quote from: nerdly_dood on August 29, 2008, 02:56:10 PM
Now I should remind you that I'm not able to use FiSHMan, because my computer runs Windows Vista, so I can't use existing textures to make my own textures and run them through the texture creator in SC4Tool, so I must use textures that already exist--and what better texture to put between whichever puzzle piece I'm using in a particular interchange, than the regular road texture?
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4140.msg150963#msg150963 - you can extract texture image files with sc4tool as well :)

If you don't see the texture at certain zoom you are possibly missing the image for that zoom level or you have the wrong image for that zoom level.  4 for zoom would be the 2 closest zooms in the game and 0 is zoomed all the way out.

Quote from: jplumbley on March 15, 2008, 10:08:28 PM
0x5rrpppwz

5 = NAM range
rr = project range
ppp = piece ID
w = wealth of texture
z = zoom of texture

Wealths:
0 = No wealth..... This has no sidewalk texture underneath the road surface texture
1 = Low wealth
2 = Medium wealth
3 = High wealth
4 = Low wealth (Medium and High Density)
5 = Medium wealth (Medium and High Density)
6 = High wealth (Medium and High Density)
7 = Agriculture

*Note Wealths 4 through 7 default to wealth 0 if no texture exists.  Wealths 0 through 3 are required for ingame to work properly.

Zooms: (pixel size)
0 = 8x8
1 = 16x16
2 = 32x32
3 = 64x64
4 = 128x128

nerdly_dood

No, I have a total of 20 FSH files there- 4 wealth levels (none, low, medium, high) multiplied by 5 zoom levels. I'm positive that I've done at least that right... You can download the mod file I made attached to the first post to see if there's anything in particular that I did wrong.

videosean

Wish I could be of more help... I downloaded your file, put it into my RHW folder and get the same results as you do.  I deleted the 5E009800 texture from RuralHighwayMod.dat, saved it and got the same results!  That texture must be coming from another dat file maybe with a different IID somewhere?  My best guess at least.  The only plugins I have installed right now are NAM with turning lanes and RHW.

Tarkus

nerdly, I've managed to take a look at the file, and immediately after opening it in the Reader, I found out the issue.

Aside from Zoom Level 4 (the textures ending in 3), all of the other textures have the incorrect Group ID (GID).  The GID for transit textures is 0x1abe787d.

I've attached a fix here.

-Alex

nerdly_dood

Oh. Well then that should fix the problem here and now... Thanks, I'll try this out immediately.

EDIT: Well... After I brag about my new forum image, that is...

EDIT2: It works! Thanks a million, tarkus, I should have known about the Group ID problem - but the textures work now, at all zoom levels, too - now I can improvise and have a RHW-4 > Road transition until such time as ShadowAssassin can release his RHW texture mod for v.21.

Shadow Assassin

That looks good. :P

It's a good stop-gap measure, as well.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

MandelSoft

Lurk mode: ACTIVE

nerdly_dood

Thanks Maarten.

Now I should remind you that although the RHW-2 transitions will still have RHW-2 drag piece at one end, this mini-mod here is so that you can directly drag a road from that RHW-2 piece with no transition texture.