• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your games oddities

Started by TheTeaCat, November 27, 2006, 09:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas

I have a WinXP VM on my Win7 system, which is using a 10 GB virtual HD and 1 GB of RAM, and it runs very well. I figure even 512 MB RAM would be fine, in case you're short of RAM on your Mac. Not sure if this is the same on VirtualBox for Mac, but I think the actual size of the virtual HD image isn't larger than the content that's installed on it, so it might be even smaller if you don't use the full 10 GB (but 10 GB should be more than enough for the OS and some programs).
Andreas

deadwoods

Andreas, what's the benefit of running an XP-based VM rather than running SC4 in Win7 natively?
David, aka deadwoods

Andreas

Oh, I think I misread the original question, sorry. I was under the impression that dahemac wanted to use some modding tools inside the virtual machine (rather than using Bootcamp), and not the game itself - must have mixed this up with the thread about the station capacity bug. I haven't tried running SC4 inside a virtual machine so far, but rather use it for some tools that won't work with Win7.
Andreas

dahemac

The advice about the hard drive and RAM are much appreciated none the less.

Nego

I've run SimCity natively on a Mac, PC, and virtual PC and found that running SC$ natively on a PC gave the best quality results while running SC4 on a virtual PC gave the lowest quality. With speed, though, it was the complete opposite with running SC4 on a virtual PC being the fastest while running it natively on a PC was about the same as running it natively on a Mac, which was slightly slower than on the virtual PC. Note: All PC tests were done using Windows XP SP3 and all Mac tests were done using Mac OS 10.6.6.

Specs i'm using on my Virtual PC:

dahemac

Interesting. How was the Virtual PC quality low? I have been considering switching to playing in Windows XP to help with night lighting etc.

Nego

Quote from: dahemac on March 03, 2011, 06:32:15 PM
How was the Virtual PC quality low?
I take that back. The quality was just fine. It was the same as it was while playing SimCity on my Mac. For some reason, my VM was nice to me today. :D No, but I actually recommend that you play SimCity 4 on a Virtual Machine on your Mac. It's super fast. It took me 10 seconds to load the game (with the intro off), 6 seconds to load a city (with plenty of development), and less than a second to quit (without saving). And that's with 7 windows open in Safari, containing a total of 43 tabs. I was not buffering or streaming anything, though. That has a very strong adverse affect on the speed. So overall, I definitely recommend that you play SimCity 4 on a Virtual Machine on your Mac. :thumbsup:

dahemac

Sounds great! I am going to try that.

Now since I got us off topic it is my job to get us back on.

I'd bet that I have a conflict in my texture files. I found some, particularly when I had a look at the remove lists for BSC Textures Vol 01.dat, BSC Textures Vol 02.dat, and BSC Textures Vol 03.dat. I dont think I have found them all though. Any suggestions?

Game Oddities / Texture fails /

GDO29Anagram

@dahemac: Looks like you got two textures with the same IIDs; One overwrites the other. What a mess... And that's just with the track texture; I've never seen a mess as large (or serious) as the cars on the terrain. :o
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Lowkee33

Looks like your train track piece is a FSH for one of Jestars buildings.  As for your terrain, looks like someone made automata using terrain texture instances.  Pretty sweet though.

dahemac

It only happens occasionally. If I change zooms and change back it often goes away. If I move to a different part of the city and move back it often goes away. I feel certain it is a conflict. It was happening more before I sorted out a pile of superseded dependencies.

Nego

@dahemac: Do you happen to be playing SimCity 4 on a Mac? I had a very similar problem and if I played with the same plugins in the same region on Windows, the problems went away. Removing CAM for Mac solved most of the problems for me and now all I have to deal with are very minor glitches.

dahemac

I am still working on it. I just removed the following as I am pretty sure they were superceded. I cant find comprehensive remove lists. The cars were prolly causing, well, the cars.

Gone today were:
SG Farm Field - Beans Seasonal_4f043e6e.SC4Lot
SG Farm Field - Corn Seasonal_4f043e28.SC4Lot
SG Farm Field - Flowers  Seasonal_0f07d36c.SC4Lot
SG Farm Field - Greens Seasonal_0f043eb2.SC4Lot
SG Farm Field - Melons Seasonal_8f2d2317.SC4Lot
SG Farm Field - Rice Seasonal_2f0c2ab5.SC4Lot
SG Farm Field - Tulips  Seasonal_ef07a216.SC4Lot
SG Farm Field - Wheat Seasonal_0f043df9.SC4Lot
Mikeseith_Cars_BMW_vol01.dat
Mikeseith_Cars_Ford_vol01.dat
Mikeseith_Cars_Honda_vol01.dat
Mikeseith_Cars_Mercedes_vol01.dat
Mikeseith_Cars_Nissan_vol01.dat
Mikeseith_Cars_VW_vol01.dat

Terring7

Sometimes derailing isn't that bad ;D

Some Sims should know that they must wait for the train to stop in the station before disembark :bomb:

So this is why the restaurants of this city becomes so popular ;D

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

samerton

mrbisonm

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Ramona Brie

Playing SimCity via VNC means a slightly awkward refresh rate.

This appeared while saving the city (note the alternation of layers). I think it's SC4 refreshing the region thumbnail actually.

That town, by the way, is 650K people (it went down to 556 after I bulldozed a bunch of blocks to build that huge freeway there, an RHW-6S facility, then went back up).

Ramona Brie

In Austin on Knoxville Avenue, an infamous crime occurred one morning.

Two rival gangs, looking to keep the fighting off the streets, took to identical towers (Coit Towers are a problem in my city) on each side of the wide avenue and fired at each other from atop.

Today, that area is known as the Knoxville Exchange, and its presence marks the start of the Sanriku/Knoxville commercial district (from the south):

(seriously, Coit Towers grow like crazy in my cities)