• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Cities in Motion

Started by danielra96, January 04, 2011, 04:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciuu96

Looks like a great game, have been following CIM for a while now. I'm a big public transit fan, and this game looks exactly like what I have been hoping for, definately gonna buy it when it comes out.  :thumbsup: It also has a map editor included, so I think the final game might be pretty similar to SC4 in some ways at least.

Also, for everybody who is interested, I recommend reading and following the Beta Preview AAR (After Action Report, basically just beta gameplay in a "diary") of this game, it's really great and demonstrates the many possibilities (and the few flaws) of the game very well. Developer Diaries (link to the forum category, each diary is in it's own post) are also nice, though they tell more about some certain details of the game than about the gameplay as a whole.

By the way, it's made by a small Finnish game studio.  ;)
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)

danielra96

I'm probably looking forward to this the most out of other games coming out this year.  I think CIM looks promising.  :thumbsup:

mightygoose

the cover art on the game is a blatent sc4 ripoff lol.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

catty

Quote from: danielra96 on January 04, 2011, 04:48:43 PM
http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/cities-in-motion
Any thoughts?

Thanks danielra96, for pointing this out, the video and pictures was interesting (loved the train and the passengers getting on and off   :thumbsup:) and I'll certainly be taking another look at this in February when its released

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

wouanagaine

looks nice

But why every time I look at a city builder I always see buildings from SC4 custom content :)

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

dedgren

I'm not the best person to ask, because I am of the "one true love" persuasion.  However...

1.  Looks like SC4's almost 10 year old ortho/diag grid still rules.
2.  Looks like the developers were smart and adopted SC4's fixed view perspective.
3.  Some of the textures, in particular road lane and center lines, are really, really poorly done.
4.  The buildings/lots look inflexible.
5.  Everything, while rendered very clearly, lacks the richness of detail that SC4 buildings, props and textures have.
6.  The trees are not good, and my guess is look worse close up.
7.  The transit aspect (mapping, planning, etc) looks seriously interesting from an eye candy standpoint, but only truly so if the simulation engine is up to serious player standards (i.e., not a one-dimensional toy that, after you exhaust the possibilities in a day or two's worth of play, does the same thing over and over again).

I'll buy it.  The question is, will I play it more than once?

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Diggis

Things like this make me unsure:

Quote■Experience realistic 3D graphics with more than 100 unique, highly detailed buildings
■Choose between more than 30 different vehicles based on real-life models of buses, trams, water buses, helicopters, and subways, complete with an underground view

100 buildings.... 100?  Really?  Not many at all. SG alone has more than that I believe.

MandelSoft

The game looks more simmilar to Chris Sawyer's Locomotion and Transport Tycoon then SimCity. Butir looks somewhat interesting...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

RickD

I agree, the game seems to be closer to Transport Tycoon or Transport Giant than Sim City. But I loved those games. And after reading the Beta Preview I got so excited that I preordered Cities in Motion.  ;D
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Ciuu96

Quote from: Diggis on January 05, 2011, 01:47:19 AM
100 buildings.... 100?  Really?  Not many at all. SG alone has more than that I believe.

We might have hope for custom building creation still, as in this new Video Developer Diary the lead designer says "And there are lots of different buildings to use and all the same tools as we would have with the team." at about 2:55 in the video.  :thumbsup:

danielra96

It's much less detailed than Simcity 4 but it seems to offer more realism than Locomotion and Transport Tycoon... This is going to be hard to judge...  :P

Lowkee33

In general Paradox makes a good game.  I often find them repetitive though, and they certainly have a "best way" to be played.  Medieval Lords could have been a great game if not for this.  I have barely touched Europa Universalis though.  I think they need to find a balance between complexity and graphics.

30 vehicles is not that many either, but I guess they would have something like "Freight Truck" rather than a truck for every goods type (like Transport Tycoon).  I would still think of playing TT, but then I remember the process of cycling out the old vehicles.

They got it right in Railroad Tycoon 3 in my opinion.  If the AI was better...

j-dub

I don't know why, but I can not help but feeling too much of a graphical resemblance to dare I say, societies, just in comparison to societies, this is what that should of had, because at least with motion you get the diagonals, but how often do see city builders with tram lines?

catty

There is more information to be found on their facebook page ... http://www.facebook.com/Citiesinmotion

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

catty

Got an email today

QuoteOpen Beta begins for 'Cities in Motion'– sign up today!
Become part of the greatest urban public transportation system in the world

Paradox Interactive and Colossal Order Ltd have today announced the start of the Open Beta for Cities in Motion, a mass transportation simulator set across four European cities and due for release on PC in Q1 2011. Developed by Colossal Order Ltd, Cities in Motion sees players develop and operate their own public transport company building a travel network across Vienna, Berlin, Helsinki and Amsterdam using more than 30 different modes of transport including buses, trams, subway trains and water buses. As each city develops and grows the player must continue to meet the ever changing transport needs of its commuters, while at the same time ensuring it remains as profitable as possible.

The Open Beta version of Cities in Motion includes the city of Vienna in sandbox mode along with one scenario – 'Part with Petrol'. The Beta will run until 20th February 2011.

Sign up at http://www.fileplanet.com/218504/210000/fileinfo/Cities-in-Motion-Open-Beta-Client

Featuring an in-depth campaign mode made up of 12 scenarios along with an open ended sandbox mode, an advanced map editor that allows players to create their own cities, plus much more, Cities in Motion will challenge players to create the perfect public transport system that has no cancellations, no delays and where the passengers are always happy!

Features:
- Explore four different cities: Vienna, Helsinki, Berlin and Amsterdam
- Engage in a campaign spread across 12 scenarios, as well as a sandbox mode where all campaign cities are playable
- Realistic 3D graphics with over 100 unique buildings
- Advanced economy simulation including contractor deals, banking, insurance and fluctuating economic trends
- Play through 100 years of transportation history across four eras between 1920 and 2020
- Use the advanced map editor to create your own cities
- Choose between over 30 different vehicles based on real-life models including buses, trams, water buses, helicopters and a subway system with underground view
- Real-time city and traffic simulation as people commute between their homes, workplace and social lives.
- Meet residents' travel needs as seven different social groups exhibit different passenger behaviours
- Three difficulty levels – easy, medium and hard

the download is 309 mb in size

Ciuu96

OMGBBQ! Yay! Already downloading, I'm really exited of this game!  ;D

catty

My computer is struggling to run the beta, but its got me interested   :)

A picture taken in the sandbox region while watching the rollercoaster and its little karts going up and down

Feb20110000 by SC4D_CATTY, on Flickr

catty

Well unless I've missed something or its not available in the beta, there doesn't seem to be anything to do in this situation

FEB20110004 by SC4D_CATTY, on Flickr

except to get out the marshmallows   ;D

catty

Another email has arrived

QuoteBrand new 'Tram' trailer released for Cities in Motion

February 22nd street date set for the ultimate public transport simulator

Paradox Interactive have today released a brand new gameplay trailer for Cities in Motion, the forthcoming mass transportation simulator for PC developed by Colossal Order Ltd, illustrating how to construct a Tram network, just one of over 30 different types of public transport vehicles in the game. Travelling back in time to 1961, the 'Tram' trailer guides the viewer on the essentials of building a tram network system for commuters from creating a new line, adding stops in strategic locations and buying the trams to carry the passengers to their destinations.

View the trailer at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHpHaNRjLU4