• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

True Earth

Started by korver, May 04, 2016, 08:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feyss

Your pictures make me more want to visit those cities than actual pictures  :D

Great job as usual. I really like the concrete texture for the Houston highway and the parking lots everywhere in the city  :thumbsup:

korver

- UPDATE 71: San Francisco -

Today, we're taking a look at another one of the United States' iconic cities - San Francisco. This hilly city sits on a peninsula between the Pacific Ocean and San Francisco Bay in Northern California - and since it's founding in 1776, it's evolved into a cultural, commercial, and financial center. With plenty of famous landmarks and attractions dotting the city - it's also one of the country's top tourist destinations as well.

We'll start the trip off in the city's Central Business District - with a number of the city's tallest buildings like Transamerica Pyramid, 555 California Street (formerly Bank of America Center), and 345 California Street in full view.

A view of San Francisco's stunning skyline at nighttime.

At the center of the city's skyline is the distinctive, pyramid shaped Transamerica Pyramid. Upon its completion in 1972, it was the world's 8th tallest building - and even though it's not the tallest skyscraper in the city anymore (since surpassed by the 1,070 ft. Salesforce Tower, completed this year), it's still the most iconic.

We venture out of downtown and onto the city's infamously hilly streets - and it gets especially steep on Lombard Street. This street is famously known for a one block stretch where it zigs and zags down the hillside - and these 8 hairpin curves have given it the title of "The Most Crookedest Street In The World". The crookedness serves a purpose, too - as it was intended to slow down vehicles and to reduce the steep gradient of the hillside, all while offering incredible views of the city.

Located northwest of Lombard is the stunning Palace of Fine Arts. Constructed in 1915 for the Panama-Pacific Exposition, this Greco-Roman palace and attraction - complete with a rotunda and columns - has remained one of the city's most popular landmarks ever since. Art exhibitions are still shown regularly, and it also serves as a park and popular wedding destination.

Our next destination can be found on top of the city's steep Telegraph Hill - the beautiful Coit Tower. Built as a gift from the late socialite Lillie Hitchcock Coit, this 210 foot tall art deco tower has remained an icon on the San Francisco skyline ever since its opening on October 8th, 1933.

For our next destination, we catch a ferry ride at Pier 33 to visit "The Rock" - Alcatraz Island. This small island in San Francisco Bay was developed in the mid 1800s with military fortifications, a lighthouse, and most famously - a prison. Once a small military prison, it quickly grew in size and served as a federal prison from 1934 to 1963, housing some of the country's most hardened criminals like Al Capone. The rugged terrain and frigid water made it the perfect place for inmates - and the unforgiving punishments handed out here gave it a harsh reputation. Although it's been abandoned for decades - it's still one of the city's most well known landmarks and tourist attractions.

The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is located in the heart of the city and is another one of the city's most distinctive landmarks - the current building was constructed in 1995 and houses some 33,000 pieces of artwork. It's one of the world's largest modern and contemporary museums - any visit here is sure to inspire the mind.

The earthquake of 1906 brought much devastation to San Francisco and its skyline - and the old city hall was one of its most prominent buildings brought to rubble.  The new San Francisco City Hall, re-opened in 1915, has remained an icon on the skyline ever since with its distinctive Beaux-Arts Dome rising 307 feet above the city.

Last but not least is the city's most iconic landmark - the legendary Golden Gate Bridge. This 8,981 foot long suspension bridge spans a narrow straight connecting San Francisco Bay to the Pacific Ocean - and has been open for traffic since 1937. Despite the name, the bridge is actually painted in a brilliant "international orange" color, and it makes for a truly stunning sight, day or night.

Don't forget to like and comment!

-korver

---

feyss: Thanks alot for the comment :thumbsup: If you or anyone else is interested in that override, it's the Maxis Highway Concrete Retexture on ST - hopefully I'll find some more uses for it, it's really quite a lovely set :) And yeah, as with a lot of US cities I had to make sure there was plenty of parking ;)

PaPa-J

Another masterpiece! &apls You do good work, and your story is superb.  :thumbsup:
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

manga rivotra

Your work on the reflections on the water, clouds and also effects of blur on the night photos is so fine and sophisticated that the illusion of having a real photo could not be better!  :o
It is once again sublime and one denotes the immense work to achieve this result.  &apls &apls &apls

mattb325

Another excellent job! Coit Tower and Lombard St are particularly impressive. I've always felt sorry for the residents on that street and the little side street. Nothing but tourists all day every day  :P

Themistokles

Good job with the Coit Tower, how you managed to make a Maxis building look good. I am much impressed. &apls

And the image right before the one with the Coit Tower reminds me of Zeroing city... oh good old times ::)
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

korver

Replies

PaPa-J: Thank you very much for the comment! :thumbsup:

manga rivotra: Thanks for the kind words, glad you liked the update! :)

mattb325: Thanks for the nice comment :) While I'm sure the views would be incredible - I don't know if I'd want to deal with all that commotion every day :P

Themistokles: Thank you for the comment! :) The Maxis landmarks actually aren't that terrible really - the main issue I've had with them is the scale (some of them like the Rotes Rathaus were hideously undersized :P). Fortunately it wasn't that much of a concern in this update and the lighting on some of them was actually pretty nice. Also, thanks for mentioning Zeroing City - I actually never checked it out before your comment, but there's lots of inspiration there for sure :thumbsup:

korver

- UPDATE 72: New York City - Landmarks & Mosaics -

Today, were returning to the Big Apple - New York City - to take another look at this incredible city's most famous landmarks along with a number of mosaics to further showcase the skyline.

We begin our trip to New York City with a look at Lower Manhattan and the rebuilt World Trade Center complex. With the 1,776 foot tall One World Trade Center opening in 2014 along with a number of other buildings - and with more on the way - its becoming one of the city's premier office spaces yet again. Other sights here include the famous Woolworth Building - the world's tallest building for nearly 20 years - and the iconic Brooklyn Bridge, the world's longest suspension bridge upon opening in 1883.

New York City's Financial District is one of the world's leading financial hubs and is home to a variety of historic and modern skyscrapers. The eight-block long Wall Street runs through the heart of the district and is home to the New York Stock Exchange - by far the world's highest valued stock exchange.

Amongst the sea of skyscrapers sits one of the city's most beautiful natural landmarks - The Battery (formerly known as Battery Park). This 25 acre public park has remained a green space on the southern tip of Manhattan since the 1700s, and has offered both locals and tourists a place to relax and enjoy the scenery.

Past the tip of Southern Manhattan is where you'll find Liberty Island and one of the city's most famous landmarks - the Statue of Liberty. This gift from the French has stood tall for nearly 150 years, representing friendship and enlightenment.

We now head to Midtown Manhattan to take a look at a few more of the city's most famous landmarks, beginning with the beautiful Chrysler Building. Following its completion in 1930, this 1,046 foot tall Art Deco skyscraper briefly held the title as the world's tallest building until the completion of our next landmark.

The famed 1,250 foot tall Empire State Building took the crown in 1931 and stood as the world's tallest for nearly 40 years. With a variety of stunning lighting schemes throughout the year - it makes for one of the city's most distinctive sights at nighttime.

The skyline of Midtown Manhattan is beginning to change rapidly with an influx of supertall skyscrapers like Jean Nouvel's 53W53, formerly known as Tower Verre. This 950 foot tall building is set to open in early 2019 and sits in the heart of midtown, adjacent to the Museum of Modern Art. With Art Deco masterpieces like the Rockefeller Center close by - it makes for quite the contrast, and its striking design will be hard to miss.

We now turn our attention to a few of the city's other famous tourist attractions - such as the Lincoln Center. This iconic center was opened in 1962 and is home to a number of performing arts organizations like the Metropolitan Opera, New York City Opera, New York City Ballet, and the New York Philharmonic. With a variety of theaters, a library, and even a school - this 16 acre complex is truly the city's premier performing arts destination.

The American Museum of Natural History was founded in 1869 by a group of prominent businessmen and politicians - which included eventual president Theodore Roosevelt. Since then, its turned into one of the most visited museums in the world, with nearly 5 million exploring the countless displays and exhibits here. Once you get done visiting the museum - scenic Central Park is right next door, and the fall foliage makes for one of the city's most stunning sights.

A couple mosaics of Midtown Manhattan - showcasing a wide variety of architectural styles.

Our last stop is one of the world's most famous intersections - Times Square. This major commercial intersection sits at the junction of Broadway and Seventh Avenue and has been dubbed "The Center of the Universe" for its bright lights, billboards, and famous destination status. Between the Broadway plays, restaurants, and entertainment venues - there's always something to do here, day or night.

-korver

PaPa-J

Another fabulous update! &apls  I like that little marina in the first pic, is that yours? if not who's is it?

I also like your work with the .gif's of the Empire State Bldg and the Central Park.  Makes the photo's come to life.
smile more, laugh more,
about things.

feyss

The central park gif is amazing  :thumbsup:

The other pictures too, of course. I can even see that you achieved to use that annoying Maxis police station in a relevant way  :D

korver

Replies

PaPa-J: Thank you very much for the comment - happy you enjoyed the gifs :) The marina was made up of nbvc's seawall pieces/boat set on ST and I also used the Stanley Seawall set from ST outside the marina as well.

feyss: Thanks for the kind words, glad you liked the Central Park pic :thumbsup: And yeah, that's probably one of the very, very few places where that Maxis police station actually looks decent :P

brick_mortimer

San Francisco... Thanks for taking me back to that very unique and wonderful city :)
Such a nice city, too bad about those earthquakes ;D

I love how you worked with the terrain, the steep hills... It must have been hard making this city, wow...
And yes there's even a cable car hidden somewhere  :)

The picture (photo?) of Alcatraz by night is very beautiful.
If you're ever in the neighbourhood of Frisco, visit Alcatraz. Yes it's touristy, but visiting the an awful prison with the sight and sounds of the happy city in the background is impressive.
According to the park rangers the worst part of doing time on the Rock were the sounds of people being free in the city that were carried to the prison by the wind...  &mmm

Ah New York City, the most frackin' awesome city in the world!
Thanks for visiting The City That Never Sleeps (Lat.: Malus Magna) again  &apls

So much to look at, so much to look at :popcorn:

I'll start out by pointing out an "error":
The boats in North Cove Marina are much, much bigger and a tiny bit more expensive than the boats in your picture :D

Your reconstruction of Battery Park is spot on!
Just outside the lower right-hand corner of your picture is Battery Gardens, a place where you can have a drink with a view on Lady Liberty.
Just take the 4 or 5 subway to Bowling Green, walk through the park and enjoy a relaxing moment.

The .gif of the Empire State Building is great! The different colours are a true part of the ESB!

Like @feyss said: the .gif of Central Park and the Museum of Natural History is amazing!

The picture of Midtown truly shows how a really big church like St. Patricks Cathedral is hardly visible between the skyscrapers.
The same goes for Grand Central Terminal  :P
And yes, even the Trump Tower looms ominously in this update...

Quote from: korver on April 30, 2018, 05:49:23 PM
Done and done :D
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

reddonquixote

Some really nice work there.. especially impressed with Battery Park and the Brooklyn Bridge interchange.  &apls &apls &apls
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

korver

- UPDATE 73: Western U.S. -

After viewing some of the United States' most iconic cities and skylines over the past couple of updates - today we'll be taking a road trip through some of the country's most stunning national parks and other impressive sights from the West.

We begin our trip through the West in Southern Arizona - where we'll be visiting Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. Established in 1937, it's a thriving community of plants and animals - and the only place in the United States where you'll get to see the impressive Organ Pipe cactus.

After making our way through Organ Pipe's many winding roads, we now travel north towards the Arizona/Utah border to visit our first National Park and one of the world's most awe-inspiring natural wonders - the Grand Canyon. This five-thousand foot deep gorge was created over a period of 15 million years - and it's truly one of nature's best masterpieces.

Monument Valley can be found further East, towards the Arizona/Utah border. This iconic symbol of the West lies in the middle of Navajo Nation, and offers stunning views any time of the year.

We take a brief stop at Capitol Reef National Park - it might be less visited than a few of the other iconic parks close by, but it's just as beautiful. Small farms and orchards like the Gifford Homestead offer a beautiful contrast to the stunning red rock backdrop.

Utah's Canyonlands National Park is our next sight - and this endless maze of canyons, buttes, and other dramatic rock formations can take your breath away.

Although snow here can be rare, it makes for quite the exceptional sight - especially from the air.

We travel further north for our next destination - Arches National Park. Landscape Arch is the 5th longest natural arch in the world and is one of the park's most awe-inspiring sights.

We start heading towards the West Coast to view a few more natural wonders - but before then, we take a brief stop to visit one of the West's desolate ghost towns. It's been over a century since the gold rush, and nature has long since taken over - these long abandoned towns are truly frozen in time.

Rural western California can be quite rugged and barren in some places - with only the occasional oil field in the distance breaking up the view.

Our next stop is Sequoia National Park - we get a first hand look at some of its imposing Sequoia trees, some of which can tower over 200 feet tall. In the midst of a heavy snowstorm, it's a real winter wonderland.

The last stop on our journey is Yosemite National Park - one the most impressive natural wonders on the face of the planet, formed by glacial activity millions of years ago.  Massive rock formations like El Capitan tower nearly 3,000 feet over Yosemite Valley - and is a popular destination for rock climbers. But only the bravest would dare to take it on during a heavy snowstorm..

Half Dome is another one of Yosemite's most impressive sights - with one of its sides being completely sheer and the others being smooth and rounded, it gives it the appearance of a dome being cut right in half. It's one of the park's most iconic destinations - and cable routes offer brave tourists a route straight to the top for incredible views.

One last view of Yosemite - an overview of the entire valley from above. I hope you enjoyed your trip to the West! :)

Special thanks for photographs used in this update:

dawn on the S rim of the Grand Canyon, CCSA2, Murray Foubister | Gifford Farm, Capitol Reef National Park, CCSA4, Towneb | Green River Overlook, Canyonlands National Park, Utah, CCND2, Chao Yen | Yosemite valley, Yosemite National Park, California, USA, CCSA2.5, AngMoKio.

-korver

---

brick_mortimer: Thanks for the enthusiastic comment, appreciate the kind words :) For SF - the terrain was certainly annoying to deal with, but having a really restrictive slope mod saved me from having too much trouble ;) I actually did have to cut one pic out of the update (Nob Hill) because it was still a little bit too steep and the restraining walls everywhere looked really silly :D Don't know if I'll visit SF any time soon though - but if I do ever visit, Alcatraz is definitely on the list.

Thanks for the nice words on NYC as well. Appreciate the heads up on the marina - on second glance I think it might need a bit of a re do :P Glad you liked the GIFs too - I've found that they really add an extra dimension to some of my scenes, so I'll see if I can keep on incorporating them into future updates ;)

reddonquxiote: Thank you very much, glad you enjoyed Battery Park and the interchange :thumbsup:

feyss

What could we say, except that your pictures are again flawless?  ;)

Themistokles

Must admit that it pains to say it, but I love the roads. The textures, the sweeping curves, how the roads integrate in the park in your New York update. It's very well executed. You pay a lot of attention to detail and it really pays off.

And now I want to go to the US again. Oh well, sometime maybe. ::)
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

art128

Absolutely stunning landscapes.
I will admit i have never been a fan of desert/bush landscapes like that, but you pulled it off really well.

The second from last picture looks like a real photograph. Breathtaking. Not to say that the others don't of course hehe. :)

Good job on the New York scenes too! I wanted to comment but didn't know what to say apart from "nice work" ..
I like how you used that round building for the corner on the Battery Park picture. Also the highways leading to the Brooklyn Bridge, awesome!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

PaPa-J

Really impressive photos.  Your landscape work is outstanding.
smile more, laugh more,
about things.

Seaman

I assume there are some SC4 pictures in the mix of your latest post, but it's hard to tell which one is which... It seems, your skill reached a level where you actually have to point out the SC4 landscapes!  :D

dyoungyn

WOW, just simply put, WOW &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

I grew up n the state of Utah and have been to just about every national part in Southern Utah, Northern Arizona and South Western Colorado. 

Arches is truly a sight to see and how you were ever able to create something created by wind and rain for thousands of years is completely stunning.