• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Do I need CAMeLots to use CAM? And can someone point me to some good ones?

Started by narukaze, September 05, 2017, 06:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

narukaze

I really like the idea of CAM, but I'm not enthused by the thought of looking around for CAMeLots for ages. So, is it actually necessary to get CAMeLots? And can someone point me to some good ones, besides the Starter Packs?

eagle74

You don't have to download camelots to use CAM.  The CAM already comes with some existing Maxis models relotted for CAM.   These are listed in the appendix of the CAM 1.0 manual.  However, you may want to download camelots later for more variety, etc.  My advice is to try out CAM first to see if you like it before spending much time worrying about additional lots.  Also, there are significant differences between CAM 1.0 & 2.1, so you may like one & not the other.

narukaze

Quote from: eagle74 on September 05, 2017, 07:19:35 AM
You don't have to download camelots to use CAM.  The CAM already comes with some existing Maxis models relotted for CAM.   These are listed in the appendix of the CAM 1.0 manual.  However, you may want to download camelots later for more variety, etc.  My advice is to try out CAM first to see if you like it before spending much time worrying about additional lots.  Also, there are significant differences between CAM 1.0 & 2.1, so you may like one & not the other.

Thank you for the advice. Mainly, I was just wondering whether it actually NEEDED CAMeLots, so knowing that they aren't required is a load off my mind.

eagle74

One thing I may add is that there have been issues with the CAM 2.1 windows installer (read the threads).  I opted for a manual install using the MAC download.

narukaze

Quote from: eagle74 on September 05, 2017, 08:34:52 AM
One thing I may add is that there have been issues with the CAM 2.1 windows installer (read the threads).  I opted for a manual install using the MAC download.

I already installed CAM 2.1 using the installer. What would these problems manifest as?

Edit: If it's related to the DatPacker, I managed to fix that by moving the missing DLL into the temporary directory created by the installer before closing the text file.

eagle74

Read the threads for the issues, but I think that most of the trouble was not datpacking properly & leaving your files in a bit of a mess.  So, if it installed correctly you are probably good to go.

mgb204

Do you need CAMeLots to use CAM?

Well it depends really, how much custom content are you using? CAM just adds a number of new growth stages to the game (R + C from 8 to 15), along with modifying a number of key properties that alter the game play.

So let's say you just play SC4 with the in-built buildings, you install CAM and those CAM-ified Maxis lots will replace them to fit the new growth stages, in essence you are good to go.

But, what if you do have many custom buildings, how will CAM affect them? Well growth stages 1-8 still exist in CAM, but buildings using that system won't conform to the altered stages in CAM. In short, whilst they will still work, they won't appear at the correct point in a city/regions development as expected. So ideally all your custom buildings should be CAMpatible if you are using CAM, otherwise the mod can't really work as intended.

narukaze

Quote from: mgb204 on September 05, 2017, 12:28:39 PM
Do you need CAMeLots to use CAM?

Well it depends really, how much custom content are you using? CAM just adds a number of new growth stages to the game (R + C from 8 to 15), along with modifying a number of key properties that alter the game play.

So let's say you just play SC4 with the in-built buildings, you install CAM and those CAM-ified Maxis lots will replace them to fit the new growth stages, in essence you are good to go.

But, what if you do have many custom buildings, how will CAM affect them? Well growth stages 1-8 still exist in CAM, but buildings using that system won't conform to the altered stages in CAM. In short, whilst they will still work, they won't appear at the correct point in a city/regions development as expected. So ideally all your custom buildings should be CAMpatible if you are using CAM, otherwise the mod can't really work as intended.

I just got started with SimCity 4 in general, so I'm not actually using any custom buildings or anything. Just NAM and CAM.

mgb204

So there is nothing to worry about, since CAM includes reworked versions of all the original Maxis buildings. If you do decide to install other content later, ideally they should be CAM-Patible or CAMeLots though.