• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Shard London Bridge?

Started by apeguy, March 28, 2012, 05:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyloxadoria

I have finished the Day Render of the Shard, and I'm moving onto starting nightlighting

eugenelavery

Glazert

Gugu3

This is simply stunning...i can see the Shard everyday from my office in North West London and your recreation is truly amazing! &apls
Guglielmo

Swordmaster

That is simply stunning!

Cheers
Willy

WannGLondon

Call me Warren.

APSMS

I find the building rather ugly.

But your modeling skills, well...let's just say I am thoroughly impressed with the work you're done on this. Some more of these &apls

and a thumbs up :thumbsup:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Girafe

The project is nice, but the way you did the glass is not correct. The cladding of the Shard has no tinte and can't be blue.
All the floors should be modeled and recover by a map which does the illusion of furniture inside. Moreover the glass is more transparent is reality. 
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Huston_N7

Looks beautiful! Though for some reason, I just feel the type of blue coloration you've implemented looks a little...out of place.
<a href="http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15523.msg467533#msg467533"></a>
E37 - Ferust System | Violet Nebula
"Blinding Night"
06/09/2013

art128

Definitely not a fan of BATed bases, but it looks nice. IMO it would be better to make the sculpture, lamp post and grass area as props instead, so that people will be able to use it on other lots.

I also ditto what Girafe said. Otherwise, impressive model.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Xyloxadoria

Hello Again! Im 95% Done with the Shard! All that's left is to actually put stuff on the lot, and write the description/readmes. (Not that anyone ever reads thoose)

Im posting  because Im open to suggestions as to what that "stuff" on the lot would be. Right now im going to use MattB325 props because they look "Londonish" overall, but im open to other prop packs. overlay textures etc as well. Heres what i have to fill.

reduced picture width  -Willy

noahclem

That's great you're doing props and textures instead of a rendered base--makes it a lot more flexible  :thumbsup:

I almost entirely stick to the following prop packs for lotting:

Namspopof props vol. 1
Namspopof props vo. 2
vv_propspack vol. 1 (can't find link but it's on TSC)

Excellently batted and scaled with HD renders these will cover your benches, people, garbages, newstands, those metal grate things that go under trees, bus stops, signs, and a bunch of other stuff. Many people will have them but they're not the most common dependencies. You could find some of the same things a little bit lower quality in porkie props which is very, very common.

Trees: the newer girafe ones, VIP ones, or CP ones are the gold standard IMHO. Most people will already have these installed too.

EDIT: to clarify, the older Girafe trees are also excellent but to have only flora, not props. CP's newest big flora pack is superior to the older--it's not HD if that matters to you but the models are superb.

For base and overlay textures I usually keep things simple and stick with original maxis ones. Combined with some sidewalk mods and gobias' terrain mods with base texture replacements they look great for people that install them and for those who don't they can't complain about another dependency ;)  Of course it all depends on what you plan to do.

Girafe

Quote from: noahclem on December 03, 2013, 10:17:27 AM
That's great you're doing props and textures instead of a rendered base--makes it a lot more flexible  :thumbsup:

I almost entirely stick to the following prop packs for lotting:

Namspopof props vol. 1
Namspopof props vo. 2
vv_propspack vol. 1 (can't find link but it's on TSC) it's on devo http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2979

Excellently batted and scaled with HD renders these will cover your benches, people, garbages, newstands, those metal grate things that go under trees, bus stops, signs, and a bunch of other stuff. Many people will have them but they're not the most common dependencies. You could find some of the same things a little bit lower quality in porkie props which is very, very common.

Trees: the newer girafe ones, VIP ones, or CP ones are the gold standard IMHO. Most people will already have these installed too.

EDIT: to clarify, the older Girafe trees are also excellent but to have only flora, not props. Many of the old pack have been updated  ;) and props are available

CP's newest big flora pack is superior to the older--it's not HD if that matters to you but the models are superb.

For base and overlay textures I usually keep things simple and stick with original maxis ones. Combined with some sidewalk mods and gobias' terrain mods with base texture replacements they look great for people that install them and for those who don't they can't complain about another dependency ;)  Of course it all depends on what you plan to do.

Regarding the BAT, it's too blue, bright and the floors are too empty. The green of the foliage is a little bit too bright too. Your system of blinds is strange.

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Swordmaster

I certainly like the modeling! However, I tend to agree with Girafe that the blue is out of sync with the usual SC4 color palette (reminds me a bit of the older BATs). I hope you feel like doing a little tweaking there.

Cheers
Willy

jaredh

To me, the blue looks almost spot-on to all the pictures I can find on google...maybe a shade too dark, but not very much.

Gugu3

Actually Willy and Girafe I can guarantee you that the Shard might be exactly that colour!I'm living in London and love that skyscraper...and the thing i like most about it is the fact that it never has the same colour...it might be dark grey,blue and sometimes white depending on the sun and the different hours of the day...not easy to reproduce in SC4 :D

art128

Quote from: jaredh on December 03, 2013, 02:51:45 PM
To me, the blue looks almost spot-on to all the pictures I can find on google...maybe a shade too dark, but not very much.

The thing is, It's not to duplicate how the building is IRL. the work of the BAT is to reproduce a real building and make it blend in the game very well.

It's an awesome model, that's a given. However, there's a few points (listed by Girafe) that needs to be corrected.

-The building is indeed a bit too blue. Right now it stands out. Of course it's good if a building stands out from the other, but in this case it stands out too much
-Emptiness of the floors. It really does add in the details if a building has some life inside it. Not too much but some desks, chairs etc. Right now we can see the structure's shadows on the floors. I have the same problem with my buildings, but if you manage to reduce it, it'll look greatly better.
Of course this adds up some render time because there's more poly, but nothing you can't adjust.

-Agree with Girafe on the foliage. I don' know much about Trees and their colors, but even to me that bright green looks quite too bright for it to be real.

-And finally the point I defend the most: the blinds. I don't want to be mean but they seriously look like cement block put behind the glass than blinds. I know you can't use the blind generator on this kind of complex architecture. Doing the blinds yourself might be a good idea. One by one. It's long, sure, but the result will be great and will not seem like it was made in a hurry to finish the BAT for some deadline.

Still I love the structure of the building. I might use only the smaller one though, as the Shard itself might be a little too big for my skyline.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Girafe

The glass of the Shard has absolutely no blue tint. The blue color you can see sometimes comes from the color of the sky. However SC4 view like this pic is taken from above and the color of the Shard is the color of the ground depending on the transparency and the glossiness of the glass. In the case of the Shard both are not so high, it's for this reason we can see deep inside the building. Thing which is accentuated by the pyramid shape of the skyscraper.

The Floraler

Gugu3

Any progress on the Shard so far?