• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Cockatoo's HK Development Thread

Started by Cockatoo-210893, August 22, 2008, 06:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cockatoo-210893

Well, I guess... if I'm going to try my luck at uploading to the LEX, then I'm going to have to set up shop here as well.
So, welcome to mah BAT development thread for the LEX.
Here I'll be attempting to improve my modding skills, testing out the CAM and maybe creating CAMlots- I'll need some help with that area and of course and continuing to model the beautiful architecture of Hong Kong with Gmax and the BAT.

Current project: The Majestic Hotel.
Originally intended for release with the Hong Kong Streets Pack on the STEX, It'll also (hopefully) be released as a standalone on the LEX with a CAM version included.
Here it is:

This stuff posted here will tie in with my LEX candidacy thread, Cocka-too-LEX.
More soon as I complete the night-lighting...

spa

This is pretty impressive work. The street level is really well done. That said, the biggest weakness to this bat is the glass windows. They don't like very real. I can sympathize as windows were the bane of my existence for quite a while. If you're inclined, I think they could use some work so that the top bit of this building is comparable to the ground floor.

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Cockatoo-210893

Yea, you're right about the glass Spa. I'm trying to fix it... but without having max... I mean... well glass in Gmax has always been a bit of a pain in the ass. I'm working on a new texture now - less colourful and more reflective, that might do the trick eh?  ::)

bat

Yes, a wonderful looking building there! Looks great!!!

art128

Props & Texture Catalog

callagrafx

Quote from: Cockatoo-210893 on August 23, 2008, 06:47:15 PM
Yea, you're right about the glass Spa. I'm trying to fix it... but without having max... I mean... well glass in Gmax has always been a bit of a pain in the ass. I'm working on a new texture now - less colourful and more reflective, that might do the trick eh?  ::)

Make it darker too...should help get a more realistic look.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

sithlrd98

Cockatoo-210893

Something new - the Harbour Centre (left) & Great Eagle Centre (right).

RippleJet

squidi

great job on the majestic hotel and the harbor centre :thumbsup:
i will defenetly would like to both of them
and i really like the nightlighting of the majestic hotel

art128

Props & Texture Catalog

rooker1

Love the two buildings. 
The night lights on the first one looks very realistic.
As for the second I have to agree with Tage, great reflections.
&apls
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Cockatoo-210893

Thanks guys,
The lighting is done! Ready to render...

I wish I could do this with the neon-sign. Anybody know how to in Gmax?

art128

Props & Texture Catalog

callagrafx

Quote from: Cockatoo-210893 on September 25, 2008, 11:34:41 PM
I wish I could do this with the neon-sign. Anybody know how to in Gmax?

Try a rectangular target spot aimed at the sign, with the falloff not going beyond the sign  :thumbsup:  oh, and make the background red and the text white
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Cockatoo-210893

Thanks callagrafx! That worked, but because the sign is actually red text with a white background (see RL photo) it had to stay that way for the night-lighting.

Anyway it's all been rendered, but because of 3 separate issues it had to be done in 3 parts (Base, Tower 1, Tower2) just like the Admiralty Centre. I know this sometimes causes problems but...
1. The Maxis lighting rig wouldn't reach as high as the top of the towers if they were perched on top of the base, leaving the roofs with no shadowing.
2. My method of lighting would cause the lights of one tower to show up on the other if they're side by side, mucking up the whole night-lighting scheme.
3. My computer is too crappy to render the complex as a whole anyway.

I'll modd it during the week and hopefully have it read for my LEX thread soon.
Here's how it turned out...

In game:

art128

these two towers are wonderful  &apls excellent work  :thumbsup:

Props & Texture Catalog

callagrafx

Looking much better  :thumbsup:

I suggested the reversal as this is the night shot you posted:

But I see they must reverse the lighting at night.  That would be simple to do in MAX but GMAX has so many limitations I'm amazed you've got such a good result, excellent BAT.