• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

Quote from: Wiimeiser on September 14, 2020, 01:09:15 AM
1-tile X 3-tile FTLs are broken, the outer parts of the intersection are mirrored. This isn't just the visuals, either, paths are affected, rendering them unusable. Going by the attached image, they seem to be rotated/swapped around.

So far as I know, it'a a LHD problem from NAM 36, it's been reported, but requires a special LHD implementation to fix.

Opkl

Not sure if this has been reported or not, but the original TuLEP rail crossings appear to be missing paths. The new Flex Turning lanes DO work, but lack the street lighting/ rail gantry props by Jondor.

Tarkus

Quote from: Opkl on September 14, 2020, 01:55:18 PM
Not sure if this has been reported or not, but the original TuLEP rail crossings appear to be missing paths. The new Flex Turning lanes DO work, but lack the street lighting/ rail gantry props by Jondor.

The missing paths are likely the result of all the Rail crosslink removal we had to do during NAM 37 development.  The whole matter of Maxis Rail vs. RealRailway (RRW) and the conflicts between the two standards required us to remove pretty much anything Maxis Rail-related from almost every plugin in the NAM, allowing things to fall back on the support included in the RRW, but being that TuLEPs are basically a Legacy Support item now, not in active development or maintenance, it appears RRW-compliant paths weren't made. 

jondor has given us blanket permission to do what we wish with his props, and there's interest within the NAM Team to expand support with those, so the prospect of an update with FTL coverage is quite likely.

-Alex

Synthael

Hey,

Found out a "glitch" in the system, RHW6S is not showing on region view. I noticed it while connecting two of my cities, RHW's 2, 4, 8S and 8C are appearing normally, only 6S is "missing". Attached pictures with where it's missing and how it should appear.

Thanks for all the hard work over the years.  :thumbsup:

Tarkus

The issues with the RHW-6S and the regional satellite view have been known for quite awhile--they're specifically tied to the Euro textures.  It's related to some obscure issue relating to embedded mipmaps with those textures.  There have been attempts to address it in the past, and those attempts have only broken it further, resulting in texture issues with the network while in a city tile, and sometimes even CTDs. 

Unfortunately, as such, I'd honestly be really surprised if it ever got fixed. 

-Alex

Synthael

Ah, so it is an old one which is just very elusive :D

I don't mind it too much, it's just when I stop playing for some time I tend to forget on the bug and then get back to the tile thinking I didn't connect it properly or that the update borked it xD

Keep on, team :D

d4star

HELP!
I installed the new NAM and now my SC4 crashes upon loading a city. All goes well and the city starts to load. The program just ends right before the city should appear. Win10, Steam. (which I thought was on the good list). Removed all the old files from Plugins and did the install.
What is the best route to restore?
Thanks
Dave

Tyberius06

Quote from: d4star on September 17, 2020, 02:18:28 PM
HELP!
I installed the new NAM and now my SC4 crashes upon loading a city. All goes well and the city starts to load. The program just ends right before the city should appear. Win10, Steam. (which I thought was on the good list). Removed all the old files from Plugins and did the install.
What is the best route to restore?
Thanks
Dave

Have you used the 4GB patch? It's like one of the most important thing what you must do if you install any new NAM. You need to patch the game SimCity4.exe with the 4GB patch.

Quote from the readme:
QuoteNote that the NTCore 4GB Patch is REQUIRED, and due to the installer change, is no longer installed by default.  The patch can be found inside the download, or downloaded directly from NTCore here, where further instructions on use of the patch can be found.  Also due to this installer change, the NAM Controller Compiler is no longer run as part of the installation process. All users will be initially given a full NAM Controller, which has a substantial size.  Users not using all features wishing to have a smaller controller can still run the Controller Compiler manually, as it is available in the download.  Those on 32-bit versions of Windows should proceed with caution.

Also more information:
QuoteA Note About the "4GB Patch"

Due to changes in computer systems, and continued expansions of the NAM's main Controller file, in 2013, it was determined that many newer systems, particularly those with more than 4GB of RAM, and running 64-bit versions of Windows, need additional accommodation.  To that end, the NAM includes a "4GB Patch", also known as a "Large Address Aware (LAA) Patch", which allows the game to access the full 4GB of RAM that a 32-bit application can read, instead of the default 2GB.  The NAM's patch was designed by NTCore, and built into the NAM with permission, and users with systems that need the patch will receive a prompt during NAM installation to install it.  The original patch can be found here.

The only thing this patch does is to switch the Large Address Aware switch, an accessible switch present in all Windows executables, from "off" to "on" for the game's executable.  Patches like this are common in game modding communities, including those associated with Skyrim, Fallout, and Morrowind, and can be used to enhance any 32-bit application's performance on systems with 64-bit operating systems and a suitable amount of RAM.

The default directory for where SimCity 4.exe may be located depends on how and where you purchased your copy of the game.

GOG.com: C:\GOG Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition\Apps
Steam: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps
Original Disc: C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps
Origin*: C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps
*Note that only Origin copies acquired through Free CD Key Redemption (Version 1.1.641) are compatible with the NAM.  Copies purchased through the Origin Store or accessed via Origin Access (Version 1.1.610) ARE NOT COMPATIBLE.  See here for more details.

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

d4star

Thank You!

I thought I had lost it. I apparently misapplied the patch. This time it came back with a positive result and the city loaded.

Wiimeiser

Missing LHD paths for RRW + intersection. Unless this setup isn't supported (It is with STR)
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

twist2172

Hello everyone,

Haven't played this game in a while, but had the itch lately so I picked it back up.  I installed the new NAM into my game, everything is running great, but I seem to have lost my slope mod.  Before I was able to drag railroad to create slopes but I am not able to anymore.  I play this game on a MAC.  I tried disabling the RRW default slope settings, but that didn't seem to change anything.  Is there a compatible slope mod that I can install into my game?  I know there was a way to switch the mods from a windows file to a mac file, but I have forgotten how to do this/what programs I need to have.  If anyone could help me remedy this situation that would be fantastic!

XL2007

Quote from: twist2172 on September 24, 2020, 07:24:14 AM
Hello everyone,

Haven't played this game in a while, but had the itch lately so I picked it back up.  I installed the new NAM into my game, everything is running great, but I seem to have lost my slope mod.  Before I was able to drag railroad to create slopes but I am not able to anymore.  I play this game on a MAC.  I tried disabling the RRW default slope settings, but that didn't seem to change anything.  Is there a compatible slope mod that I can install into my game?  I know there was a way to switch the mods from a windows file to a mac file, but I have forgotten how to do this/what programs I need to have.  If anyone could help me remedy this situation that would be fantastic!

Howdy! Windows 10 user here, but I'm dealing with the same problem.

None of my slope mods work with NAM 38, either. Removing the RRW default slope parameters also does nothing. I'm wondering if there's something deep within NAM that's overriding all of the slope settings somehow.

Tarkus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on September 23, 2020, 07:25:13 AM
Missing LHD paths for RRW + intersection. Unless this setup isn't supported (It is with STR)

It has paths in RHD, so it is indeed a missing (or broken) path file.

twist2172 and XL2007, the only components that include slope files are the RRW Slope Settings and the Maxis Highway Override (which affects Ground Highway).  Both of those modifications are really primarily driven by replacing tunnel models with the appropriate custom ones (tunnel models are handled by the same exemplar files--Network Tuning Exemplars--as slope settings), though the RRW does include much more restrictive slope properties as well. 

No other NAM component in NAM 38 includes modified slope settings for any other networks, and in any case, even if they did, they would be overridden by any other slope mod, provided they are installed in such a location that they would load after the Network Addon Mod folder--by virtue of coming later than it in the alphabetical order.  Note that the file architecture changes made beginning with NAM 37 got rid of the old "z___NAM" folder that was present in NAM 31 through 36, which would load especially late in the load order.

If your slope mods still aren't working, that would suggest that perhaps you may have multiple slope settings in your Plugins folder, and the least restrictive is loading last.  Make sure the desired settings are in a "zzzSlopeMod" subfolder within Plugins, or the like.  I'll also note that the Mac version does handle load order in a slightly different fashion than the Windows version, but that folder name should work (though I can't guarantee it).

-Alex

jeffryfisher

Quote from: XL2007 on October 02, 2020, 11:48:02 PM
None of my slope mods work with NAM 38, either. Removing the RRW default slope parameters also does nothing. I'm wondering if there's something deep within NAM that's overriding all of the slope settings somehow.
NAM has a couple slope exemplars in it to set tunnel entrance parameters ("slope" mods control so much more than just slopes). So some of your networks slope-mod settings should still be effective (unless NAM carelessly included the whole set even though setting only two).

The NAM installer should have a switch somewhere so you can opt out. If you go that route, then you are responsible for researching the tunnel settings NAM needs and then editing your own personalized slope mod to incorporate NAM's requirements into it.

Someday the TSCT will gain a panel for managing all known "slope mod" parameters on all networks (something I'd love to do if the TSCT source code can ever be recovered). Ideally, some future NAM installer will detect your existing parameters and merge them with NAM's scant tunnel (and future) requirements, and then you'll be able to fully customize your networks through a user-friendly interface. But don't hold your breath. That bright shiny future may not happen in our lifetime. For starters, the TSCT source code is locked inside some obsolete code-management system that nobody knows how to extract from :)
Modding PC games since 1993 (back when we needed hex-editors)

twist2172

Thanks for all the responses!  It looks like Tarkus's recommendation of adding the 'zzz' to the beginning of my slope mod folder fixed the problem (at least for my mac addition).  The slope mod I have installed into my game works, but before I had a slope mod that when I dragged out the rail network, I was able to smooth out any adjacent network more so than the current slope mod I have installed (I have the Ennedi slope mod currently in my game).  I am somewhat working around this by using the god mode leveling tool to smooth my networks in more hilly terrains, but I am curious if someone is familiar with which slope mod I may have had previously.  Perhaps it accidently was deleted out of my plugins when I installed the NAM 38 (I had the NAM 36 before).  At any rate, the new NAM is beautiful and thanks again for the amazing community that is constantly working on and improving this great game!

roadgeek

First, I want to say that I love the ability to have diagonal NWMs. I have tons of places where that will come in quite handy. I noticed a quirk in capacity on the diagonal Ave-6 though, where traffic appears to be heavily congested at that particular point where it turns from diagonal to orthogonal. I am wondering if that is a bug. When I get a chance, I will upload an image.

EDIT: I tried to grab a screenshot, but the game does not show congestion when you are trying to take a picture.

roadgeek

Second, I want to say that I love having the ability to split an Ave-6 into two OWR-3s, but again, I ran into the dreaded capacity problem. I've got other ideas for temporary workarounds, but I wanted to bring this to your attention.

j-dub

Roadgeek, assuming you are on a windows system via running the game windowed what you do is press the Prt Scrn Sys Rq button on your keyboard and instantly open MS Paint, go to Edit then Paste immediately. It should then show up assuming you didn't close the traffic view sub menu ...but to the best of my knowledge not being a coder, unfortunately the game thinks those are intersections hence the red light tiles. I ain't a programmer so unfortunately I got no resolve for that.

b22rian

Roadgeek,

i think the traffic congestion isnt as bad as you think since the game has to treat those pieces of intersection pieces..
So that is going to lower the capacity of those few tiles there..

XL2007

A quick update: I still couldn't figure out what was going on my slope mods not working, so I took the nuclear option and reinstalled NAM sans tunnel and slope parameter. Didn't work.

So I took the other nuclear option and made a new Plugins folder, then transferred NAM to it along with my slope mod. That worked.

Then I spent the next few hours going through process of elimination, transferring my plugins from the old folder to new in small batches and opening the game in between each batch to make sure the slope mod still worked. With 11 gigabytes of plugins to transfer, you can imagine this took a while.

After a couple of hours, I finally struck paydirt and found a couple of rogue plugins with their own slope mods that were somehow overriding my slope mod, even after doing the "zzz" thing to ensure mine loaded last. Took those out and things were back to normal again.

For reference's sake, the two were Element's "No More Dozer" mod and "JCS_TunnelAndSlopeMod".

Thanks for everyone's help and I look forward to (finally) using NAM 38. :thumbsup: