• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4Fix - DLL to fix the puzzle piece x TE lot crash

Started by simmaster07, December 27, 2015, 11:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgb204

Quote from: catty on December 31, 2015, 02:12:46 AM
I've no idea how places like Steam work out what version you get, in my case I ended up with a right-hand version of the game, which is a real pain when you drive on the left in RL had to change the SC4 Language in Steam before it would drive on the left, but the NAM still thinks I've got a RH drive game so have to manually change it when I doing a NAM install.

The original game simply based the driving side on the locale installed, hence UK English is LHD. The locale is also stored in the registry, which the NAM installer uses to determine the driving side to default to. I managed to get my GoG digital version working in this regard, but I think Steam and Origin users may have more trouble. I couldn't be certain, but I think Steam have modified how such things work. However, if the value the NAM installer is searching for doesn't exist, you could just add it manually to the registry. The location is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Maxis > SimCity 4 > 1.0. Then you need a key "Language value" set to 13 (for LHD/UK English) in the Value Data field.

Quote from: Andreas on December 31, 2015, 02:18:28 AM
The latter will skip updating the region view graphics, so it works a bit faster than simply saving the city...
...Also, I rarely do a "save and exit", but save first, and then exit to region view or quit the game without saving again.

Just when you think you know all the shortcuts!

I have two cities that cause a CTD when exiting them. Thankfully I can open them and save changes within the city. I know switching focus can cause problems whilst saving, honestly that's probably how I messed up the first one. But I researched this problem and it can happen when using "Save and Exit" or "Save and Quit" too. I learnt to be real particular about not using those two after the second city suffered the same fate. Since then I have seen no further problems.

vortext

Such a relief no longer having to worry about accidentally touching a TE lot with the SAM starters!  &apls &apls

Also, I use quick save all the time and haven't got any CTDs with the fix installed. 
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

CasperVg

Thanks a lot for your work, simmaster! Hopefully it will lead to more amazing things :)

Quote from: vortext on December 31, 2015, 05:46:22 AM
Also, I use quick save all the time and haven't got any CTDs with the fix installed. 
Can confirm, have been using the fix for some time now, and have not noticed any (increase in) CTDs related to the quick save functionality (nor normal save)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Alan_Waters

I install the patch:

Starting the game:

What is it like?

mgb204

The first message is misleading, it simply means that the patch program has finished. Check the patchlog file, generated in the folder you ran the .640 update from. Does the information within confirm your game files were successfully patched. My guess would be a number failed. If you are using either a non-genuine copy of SC4 or a NoCD patch that will cause the update to fail. Similarly, having modified any of the SC file, including adding the I-HT fix will cause it to fail. In which case you should restore the original files (either from backups or a reinstall), then patch the game before you do anything else.

simmaster07

Go into the Apps folder where you installed SC4 (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4\Apps) and check the properties for SimCity 4.exe.

Click on the Details tab and make sure that the version shows 1.1.640.0.

Alan_Waters

Yes, 1.1.638.0. Strange. The patch is installed without problems.  &mmm

mgb204

Then who or what make the backup of the .exe file?

As I said, check the Patchlog text file, possibly better if you'd copy/paste that information so we can all see it. Perhaps start a new thread though, since this problem is not directly related to the fix?

mgb204

Quote from: mgb204 on December 31, 2015, 02:57:29 PM
check the Patchlog text file
Check the patchlog file, generated in the folder you ran the .640 update from. Does the information within confirm your game files were successfully patched

This should be a text file, called Patchlog.txt if I remember correctly.

simmaster07

Quote from: Alan_Waters on December 31, 2015, 03:17:21 PM
It?

Looks like SimCity 4.exe is being marked as invalid by the patcher. Typically DELUXE.exe/RUSHHOUR.exe would have "Writing New File" and "Verifying" messages as well. Also because those two files are under the number of files marked "Old Files Invalid."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   PATCH  Version 6.50 - RTPatch(R) Professional - Software Update System
                    DOS/16-bit Windows/32-bit Windows Edition
       (C) Copyright Pocket Soft, Inc., 1991-2002.  All Rights Reserved.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----- Processing Patch File -----
Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'DELUXE.exe'
Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'RUSHHOUR.exe'
Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'SimCity_1.dat'
    Writing New File
    Verifying - Passed!
    Deleting Old File
----- Patch File Processing Complete -----

-----------------------------------------------------
-        Results of Application of Patch File       -
File Patches Applied ......................... (   1)
   Files Modified .................. (   1)
   Files Renamed. .................. (   0)
   Files Added ..................... (   0)
   Files Deleted ................... (   0)
   Temporary Files Processed........ (   0)

File Patches Skipped: New Files Up-To-Date.... (   0)
File Patches Ignored: Old Files Missing....... (   0)
                      Old Files Invalid....... (   2)

Total File Patches Processed ................. (   3)

This typically happens when SC4.exe is cracked.

Might be worth splitting this into a different thread.

Alan_Waters

After installing the patch appeared artifacts illuminated at night. We'll have to fall back to 638. :crytissue:

Girafe

If you want to look at that, infinite MMP (=cycle MMP) leads to CTD 
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    *