• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

High squeezing sound

Started by Nique, September 12, 2009, 03:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nique

Hi there,

The next question is not really a citymania question, but on tomkeus's advice i downloaded the MogreSDK and got it working (a nice black game window opens up).

Anyway, i have no question about this but this 'black window' reminds me to something i have experienced earlyer while developing using the XNA framework. When i run a 3d application (like OGRE), my soundcard, (and it does not matter 'what' sound card, because i have a external one that makes the same noise as the internal one) makes a weird noise.. it's like a very high squeezing sound, i don't really know how to explain but i recorded it, you can download it here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WIK3D4VS

My computer only produces such sound when i open up a 3d application.

Does anyone have the same problem?
Proudly developer of

SC4BOY

I hear basically nothing on that download.. at very low levels maybe some "thunk" that sounds like some piece of hardware and a tiny "peep" about every 3 seconds.. otherwise it seems like whitenoise.. Are you playing anything in via a microphone? If you aren't try MUTE on the mic input.. it is a high noise input.. also be sure you don't have the +10db "microphone boost" applied to that input.. in fact you should make a habit (if you have multiple inputs on your hardware) of MUTE'ing all inputs that you are not actually USING

Nique

Quote from: SC4BOY on September 12, 2009, 04:35:48 PM
I hear basically nothing on that download.. at very low levels maybe some "thunk" that sounds like some piece of hardware and a tiny "peep" about every 3 seconds.. otherwise it seems like whitenoise.. Are you playing anything in via a microphone? If you aren't try MUTE on the mic input.. it is a high noise input.. also be sure you don't have the +10db "microphone boost" applied to that input.. in fact you should make a habit (if you have multiple inputs on your hardware) of MUTE'ing all inputs that you are not actually USING

None of that, pump up the volume. It's constant, and very high freq. but it isn't hard.
Proudly developer of

Genocidicbunny

What graphics card do you have? This kind of sound is extremely common with nvidia's 2xx series GPU's and AMD's 4xxx series, but it may occur in older ones as well. One of the coils on the graphics card is whining -- coil whine is what its called.

It usually happens either when the gpu is under very heavy load or when you're running something at very high fps.

Several things you can do, one is to limit the fps of said apps, to something like 60. Another is to coat the coils so they cant whine, but that will void your warranty on the GPU for certain.

tomkeus

Quote from: Genocidicbunny on September 14, 2009, 01:59:39 AM
What graphics card do you have? This kind of sound is extremely common with nvidia's 2xx series GPU's and AMD's 4xxx series, but it may occur in older ones as well. One of the coils on the graphics card is whining -- coil whine is what its called.

It usually happens either when the gpu is under very heavy load or when you're running something at very high fps.

Several things you can do, one is to limit the fps of said apps, to something like 60. Another is to coat the coils so they cant whine, but that will void your warranty on the GPU for certain.

This also happens on my 8600GT on high workloads. I never paid any attention to that until you posted here. Anyway, it's no big deal. Your computer just dissipates a little bit more of energy in the form of sound waves.
#define TRUE FALSE /*Happy debugging suckers*/

Genocidicbunny

Well, some people may find it annoying, although if it goes on for long enough, you'll get used to it. I know I did.

Nique

Quote from: Genocidicbunny on September 14, 2009, 01:56:07 PM
Well, some people may find it annoying, although if it goes on for long enough, you'll get used to it. I know I did.

Yes but.. there should be a fix for this.. i hear very sensitive. (i have 9600GT 1GB)
Proudly developer of

j-dub

You know, I have this exact same problem. I do have a Nvidia, and only when the mic is in, and enabled I get that high pitch white noise, which makes having a mic useless, in terms of playing online games that have chat, because the d*** noise just causes problems.  :angrymore:

Genocidicbunny

Quote from: j-dub on September 14, 2009, 05:14:03 PM
You know, I have this exact same problem. I do have a Nvidia, and only when the mic is in, and enabled I get that high pitch white noise, which makes having a mic useless, in terms of playing online games that have chat, because the d*** noise just causes problems.  :angrymore:
sounds like a different problem. There may be some EM noise going to your audio card.

SC4BOY

It almost certainly is noise induced (electromagnetic) into either the wiring on the case or onto the soundcard or motherboard circuit components or tracks. To get rid of extreme low levels of noise will take both high care and shielding of wiring and connection areas (and being sure all panels of the case which I assume is metalic) are commonly grounded. If you need more isolation than that, I expect you will have to invest in a very high quality sound card (or of course you could simply apply equalization to lower or reduce the specific frequency area of interest) And I assume you've already taken the steps I mentioned above of SHORTING all unused input signals or of MUTING them on your sound controls. If you can isolate the noise to specific inputs (as opposed to the general wiring and cards) you may be able to eliminate or isolate that particular item.

Genocidicbunny

More so, how the hell can you hear that noise? Im using the onboard sound chip which is not shielded at all, so the dual GPU's which sit above it should be causing all kinds of EM noise. Yet, I dont hear anything on any of the inputs, besides the sweet sweet music.