• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

JRJ Railroad Trestle Bridge

Started by jeronij, April 27, 2007, 11:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeronij

OK, I decided to give a try to one of these babies.... ::)

the modelling is being a nightmare to me, but so far I am at this point:

I have detected some errors and mistakes which will be solved with a new render. But I am not convinced about the pylons. I would like to ear your suggestions about them before I proceed  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

meinhosen

Not too shabby jeronij.

I'm a little confused about the start-piece for the bridge: is it supposed to be aged and weathered concrete or mossy rock?  The only other "weirdness" is the size of the guardrails/handrails on the sides- they seem a tad too big (but that's just me going off what I've seen here in the US).  Other than that, it looks really good.

EDIT
Now having looked at the third pic for a while, I was thinking that your trestle might be better suited to a low-level, relatively short/narrow water crossing (as opposed to the deep canyon in pictures 1 & 2)  Cement at the bottom of the pylons would work well if that's what you intended the trestle to be used for.
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

Andreas

I think the bridge pieces look great, and the oversized "guardrails" are there to prevent suicide candidates to jump down the gorge (here in Germany, an Autobahn bridge over the Ruhr river got somewhat infamous for the highest suicide rate of all German bridges - an average of four suicides each year) before they installed a high fence. I'm not that sure about the pylons, though, they look a bit heavy, and the dark, mossy green doesn't really suit. Maybe you could make the structure a bit more lightweight and reduce the saturation of the textures to a considerable degree.
Andreas

Gaston

Andreas posted:
QuoteI'm not that sure about the pylons, though, they look a bit heavy, and the dark, mossy green doesn't really suit. Maybe you could make the structure a bit more lightweight and reduce the saturation of the textures to a considerable degree.
I was looking at them and thinking the same thing, but didn't know how to say it.     ;)

As far as the guard rails:
Quotethe oversized "guardrails" are there to prevent suicide candidates to jump down the gorge
Hmmm,  I love the look of them but they should curve inward at the top as opposed to the outward curve they have now.    Basically move them to the opposite side of the bridge.     These "guard rails" would look great on almost any bridge, especially ones that cross over any other transport forms.   They are very common over highways around here.   They keep all sorts of stuff from being tossed or falling off the overpass/pedestrial crossing.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

jeronij

QuoteI'm a little confused about the start-piece for the bridge: is it supposed to be aged and weathered concrete or mossy rock?
Good question....Aged and weathered concrete, but maybe too aged and weathered.... ::)

QuoteCement at the bottom of the pylons would work well if that's what you intended the trestle to be used for.
In fact the original model included concrete pylons at the bottom of the columns. They fit beter with that type of bridge, but are limited to low height bridges....I will see what I do  :-\

QuoteI'm not that sure about the pylons, though, they look a bit heavy, and the dark, mossy green doesn't really suit. Maybe you could make the structure a bit more lightweight and reduce the saturation of the textures to a considerable degree.
I agree about the pylons. Way too heavy for such a tiny deck   $%Grinno$% . About the green textures used, yes, you are also right. I didnt noticed that before but they look odd. I will check the materials glossiness... there is something wrong with that.

Quotebut they should curve inward at the top as opposed to the outward curve they have now.    Basically move them to the opposite side of the bridge.
The barriers did not render correctly ( I have to check why), and I will probably have to render them separately and make some extra T21 exemplars to add the to the bridge. I will think about this idea, but in any case, they are not intended as "suicide barriers" ( which I never seen btw)

Thanks to all for the feedback. It will help me to improve the model ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Travis

Looking good, jeronij. Rail trestles are among my favorite types of bridges. By the way, have you thought about a wooden rail trestle?

ps. Those pylons are way too big for such a narrow bridge.  :P

mightygoose

if you fancied the challenge you could always get clever and have invisible water lots that place concrete feet at water level as an overhanging prop so you can have waterline feet on the bridge regardless of height..... but it is abit longwinded....
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Filasimo

awesome rail bridge design so far jeronij we need more flavor of bridges in SC IMO how about someone steps to the plate and do a HSR bridge? anyone? anyone? ::)
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

jeronij

Thanks for all the feedback  :thumbsup:
I have applied most of your comments, and this is the result so far

anyway, i am not satisfied with the render quality.... I think I will have to make some more render tests.... &mmm

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Andreas

I think you could reduce the diameter of the metal beams in the pylons a bit, so they don't look so "bold", and desaturate the texture even more, but otherwise, this is looking really nice now. The bridge deck with the "guardrails" is fantastic. :)
Andreas

stewart_garden

Hi Jeroni,

Hmm, I like both versions.  I think the original piers look better when the bidge is at low level, however the second, slimmer, version looks better when the bridge is at a higher level.

I do have a couple of observations though:

1) The deck of heavy rail bridges is generally quite deep to carry the heavy loads imposed by the trains (particularly freight).  I had a quick search on Wikipedia and found this one: link

2) As was mentioned previously, it would be 'normal' to have a concrete footing at water level - not having any modding skills though I have no idea how possible this is.

I like it though ... well done!

Stewart
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

rooker1

I really like the new version of the bridge.  Although I don't think the bridge looks good for high heights.  Just my opinion.  I do however love how it looks at lower heights.
The link that stewart_garden provided has a really great looking bridge.  I like how the base opens wide.

Robin   :thumbsup: &apls
Call me Robin, please.

Colyn

I believe that with the number of custom bridges coming out now we can SPEC bridges to be LOW LEVEL or HIGH LEVEL ... I personally feel that there is need for LOW LEVEL bridges.

Good stuff here JR ... just a thought ... why not stop the trestle after the tapered to section and let Maxis take up the rest ... that way the bridge will be great at low level and if users wants to go high then they get the Maxis foundations. It will also make your renders easier.
Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

Zaphod

I agree with colyn, we can definetely use lower bridges

I think it looks good, maybe the pylons are a bit chunky but I don't know if that can be avoided, after all its the rails and trains themselves that are scaled too tiny in the game
War Kittens !?

mightygoose

maybe with the low or high bridge a small L or H could be added to the icon used in game.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

jeronij

Yes, maybe we should set some standards for the bridges labels, so we can advice about the best placement for that kind of bridge.

Btw, I am blocked with that bridge at the moment. I decided to change the pylons and make them like s_g suggested, but the final render is really poor. The pieces are too thin, and they look horrible in the game. I think I will make a pause with that bridge for some time, until inspiration comes back  ::)

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

socomseal45

jeronij, that bridge looks awesome. The pylons are cool. It would make a great railroad bridge (as intended).
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into 
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

bat

That bridge is looking beautiful, jeronij! :thumbsup:

BigSlark

Jeronji,

I like what you've done so far, but I think that closely modelling it on an American style girder trestle would make a much more realistic bridge, like the photo s_g provided. In the US, railroad bridges have small (less than a meter) guardrails if they exist at all.

And maybe, just maybe, could you "paint" this bridge different colors?

Cheers,
Kevin

flame1396

not a fan of the color but it looks good when low

could you work on a old fashioned trestle (like the wooden ones that have supports under all the track)?
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.