• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplumbley

Quote from: dragonshardz on September 19, 2007, 04:12:39 PM
just think- SAM and SAM2: 32 different skins for the streets.  :thumbsup:

of course, not even the most fanatical modder would want to do 3000+ lines of coding.  /wrrd%&

Try 3000+ for when I finish the first 10 sets.  I have written about 350 to 400 lines per set right now.  My IID structure for "new networks" supports upto 16 new sets for each network.  Of course IF there are more texture sets made for a network than 16 there will be ways around it, but 16 is a good number to attempt to stick to.

Thank you everyone for your support.  To those wanting Dirt Streets, they are coming.  Dirt Streets are not as simple for "completing" the sets as new ALPHA textures need to be created for each one adding more time.

@Crissa  If you would like to create a SAM Texture set, please do so and submit it to me for consideration into the SAM project.  When you have a set of textures ready send me a PM and then I will send you my contact information so you can send me the textures.  Textures MUST be in PNG format.

For those wondering what the other SAM sets are going to be.

SAM - 3 - PEGs Dirt Roads
SAM - 5 - Torolcas Dirt Streets
SAM - 6 - GLR in Street
SAM - A - BSC Park Paths
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

dragonshardz

Isn't the name Trolca, not Torolca?
if you search the STEX, Trolca will get answers, but not torolca.

BigSlark

I have the original Trolca street mod files on my HD. If you need them let me know.

Cheers,
Kevin

jplumbley

Quote from: BigSlark on September 19, 2007, 08:36:32 PM
I have the original Trolca street mod files on my HD. If you need them let me know.

Cheers,
Kevin

All of the above stated texture mods are already in hand.  Thanks for the offer Kevin.

I am now going to take a step back for a week or so from modding.  I have been busy, busy pounding out the final details for the past month or so on SAM.  I am not abandoning the project by any means, in fact Diggis is working diligently away on the textures while I take a breather.  I will aslo be still around to stick my nose into the forums, I will be present just not as vocal in the coming days, but I am not gone.  I will answer questions about SAM as they come but it seems the Readme has done its job.  I am quite happy with the way things have unravelled.

As for release of SAM BETA v2?  I dont have any plans of when it will arrive, it depends on how far we get on the other texture sets.  I will be testing some theories with the RULs I have and we will find out if we can have Diagonals or not, inter-SAM intersections or not and expand all sets to include AVE Intersections, OWR Intersections and Roundabouts.

For those "worried" about the SAM overriding the SAM/MAXIS Street intersections....  I cannot fix this.  I have an idea that may tickle your fancy that can "fix" the solution.  I can take the MAXIS Street textures and make them into a SAM network where to plop the starter piece.  This will make the MAXIS Street have SAM IIDs and this will allow the MAXIS Street Textures to function the same way as a SAM set.  This is the only way for this to work, and if you dont like this idea then you have no other possibility and you are stuck with what you have.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Jonathan

As others have said it would be possible to have a puzzle pieces for street/SAM intersections,
The street/GLR SAM may not work as I was thinking about making Ave/GLR I asked memo if it was possible, he replied no, but I'm not sure on all the details as I accidently deleted all my PMs a while back. Hopefully memo can repeat it.

Crissa

Quote from: jplumbley on September 20, 2007, 09:17:30 AMFor those "worried" about the SAM overriding the SAM/MAXIS Street intersections....  I cannot fix this.  I have an idea that may tickle your fancy that can "fix" the solution.  I can take the MAXIS Street textures and make them into a SAM network where to plop the starter piece.  This will make the MAXIS Street have SAM IIDs and this will allow the MAXIS Street Textures to function the same way as a SAM set.  This is the only way for this to work, and if you dont like this idea then you have no other possibility and you are stuck with what you have.

...That's what I suggested... Assuming the SAM/street interface puzzle pieces aren't an easier solution.

I'll get onto the textures soon, I've been sketching some ideas, mini roundabout about looking things, etc.

-Crissa

Andreas

@Jason: By all means, take a break, you really deserve it! :)

About intersecting Maxis streets with the SAM: Well, this is basically the same problem that occurs when intersecting draggable GLR and regular el-rail: One will convert into the other, so you have to use a puzzle piece for the intersection. Personally, I think we could live with the problem and avoiding it by a creative road layout, using the in-game roads as "dividers" between the individual SAM styles. After all, this looks better anyway; the patchwork of different street looks is mainly caused by lack of finances, when the community builds a particular street with bricks, but the rest is still asphalt or concrete.

My only big request would be to create Euro textures for the SAM as well - which surely is quite some task due to the variety of different textures, but I'm sure it would be much appreciated by the entire European folks here. :)
Andreas

TheTeaCat

Quote from: Andreas on September 20, 2007, 12:22:57 PM
My only big request would be to create Euro textures for the SAM as well - which surely is quite some task due to the variety of different textures, but I'm sure it would be much appreciated by the entire European folks here. :)

Ooh now that would put the icing on the cake so to speak :D

A magnificent piece of work you have produced which will be enjoyed by many. thank you very much :thumbsup:

@Jason: By all means, take a break, you really deserve it! :)
Worth a definately

regards
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

rickmastfan67

Quote from: jplumbley on September 20, 2007, 09:17:30 AM
I will be testing some theories with the RULs I have and we will find out if we can have Diagonals or not, inter-SAM intersections or not and expand all sets to include AVE Intersections, OWR Intersections and Roundabouts.

Don't forget about the RHW-2. ;)  I can make the textures for the SAM intersections very quickly once I get the default RHW-2/Street intersection created. ;)
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Filasimo

hey jplumbey glad the readme has helped everyone understand the SAM better! that was my intended goal: to not give you a headache hehe. well enjoy your break you most definitely deserve it!  :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Diggis

If you show me what the Euro ones looks like I can do them up easy enough.  Although we should also finish up those we have.  &mmm

Filasimo

LoL @ Diggis, yeah dont take up more than you can chew buddy hehe  :D
Plaza Mall Project
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Diggis

Hehe, textures are the easy part.  I was worried about Jason.  :P

Filasimo

hehe im sure by now hes a RUL-aholic and is now in RUL Anonymous classes along with Alex hehehehe imagine how those would go.. ()what()
Plaza Mall Project
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

jplumbley

Hehe.. RUL Annonymous is going well Alex and I have started a thread to talk about our addiction.  &Thk/(

Then of course instead of talking about how to stay off the juice or how we can embrace Jesus to save us from our addictions, we turn the discussion into a "I wonder if this would work."  ()what() "Or hey, thats a pretty cool idea."  ??? Or we'll just... Post the code itself.  &hlp

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Filasimo

Plaza Mall Project
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Olasz

Quote from: Warrior on September 20, 2007, 10:27:50 AM
As others have said it would be possible to have a puzzle pieces for street/SAM intersections,
The street/GLR SAM may not work as I was thinking about making Ave/GLR I asked memo if it was possible, he replied no, but I'm not sure on all the details as I accidently deleted all my PMs a while back. Hopefully memo can repeat it.

this was posted last year

jplumbley

For those wondering about GLR in Street or GLR in Avenue.  These networks are possible, just not with the current Traffic Simulators in NAM.  The Traffic Simulator will need to be edited which means with an update for these type of draggable networks, it would require an update of the NAM Core files and the NAM Essentials files.  With these new GLR in Street and others, there will need to be new SC4Path files drafted to include the Subway Paths on the tile for a whole set, it may take a few weeks just to path the set.  Then there will need to be extensive RULs to write for this set, obviously you will have the SAM RULs but then there will be other RULs that are for intersections with the GLR intersections which I will have to RUL from scratch.  There will need to be multiple Puzzle Piece Starters and Enders so that you can have the GLR split off of the street or the street 90-turn away from the GLR, etc.  This one texture set will be almost as complex as the SAM itself and this is why it will be the last one added to the SAM.

With some experimentation we may be able to add new paths to the subway system allowing for "separated" Subway traffic which will allow us to keep Car Traffic from things like Boston Big Dig to turn into Subway Traffic and exit at subway stations.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Jonathan

Olasz: I understood that was puzzle pieces?
Jplumbley: I don't understand why there would have to be subway paths on Street/GLR network, anyway I'll leave it to you.

Olasz

@Warrior: indeed they were
@jplumbley: this is complete plan  :)