• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaston

I had the same "red arrow" problem after using the installer.   I took the files and moved them to my plug-ins file AFTER I compressed my files using Data Packer.   I have an odd set up where I have my main plug-ins compressed plus a compressed file for BSC stuff as well as a compresses file for my CAM stuff.    After I rearranged it this way it works just fine.  For that mater so does everything else, and it still loads fairly quick.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

flexxmatthews

Quote from: bakerton on September 16, 2007, 08:49:53 PM
I have downloaded SAM, but only get a red arrow. I have followed the readme to the letter and still get a red arrow no matter what. I even tried to put the file in the NAM folder and still the same thing. What is my solution? Otherwise, awesome job folks. JKB

Unfortunately I am suffering the same dilemma as bakerton and dioangel.  ()what()No matter what I do, with both plugins folders empty except for the latest NAM installation, I only get the red arrow when I click the icon in the roads menu. I understand that if the arrow is placed in the ideal spot in the game ,it should turn green with the desired starter puzzle piece. It does nothing, even if cycled with the Home/End or Tab keys. Just remains red. I don't have a means to take photos of the instances in the game, as I also tried it with the ingame camera function. Any suggestions would be helpful at this point, as I am very excited to try out this mod... :) %confuso

Travis

I experienced the same problem, and solved it rather quickly. What I did was remove everything related to the NAM from my plugins folder,
(which I needed to do anyway, since the Rural Highway wasn't working either) and then re-installed all of it, ending with the SAM. Both problems
were resolved.  :)

Just throwing that out there for folks that had the same issue.  ;)

jplumbley

Those experiencing the RED Tile while trying to place the SAM Puzzle Pieces:

TO SOLVE this issue:

Please REMOVE ALL of your transit related mods: NAM, RHW, Additional Bridges and SAM.

Now after removing ALL existing mods, go and download them again in this order:

1.  NAM
2.  RHW
3.  Additional Bridges
4.  NAM Essentials
5.  SAM

Then install them in the same order stated above!

The issue is somehow you have a 2nd NAM_Controller file loading AFTER the SAM one.  SAM is based off of the JUNE 2007 NAM and if you have a previous NAM you are going to have this issue due to the changes of the NAM File names in the JUNE 2007 NAM.

If this does not work, there is a file somewhere that you have that is loading AFTER the NAM_Controller and is overriding the update that I have made for the NAM_Controller in the SAM.  And you will have to find that file as it is outdated and will conflict with ANY future addition to NAM, RHW, Additional Bridges, SAM, etc.

EDIT:  This has been added to the SAM mini Readme above.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Andreas

@jplumbley: I made some quick additions to your posting. ;)
Andreas

bakerton

Everyone, thanks for the solutions. I will try it as soon as I get done here. Again, Thank you for all the help. JKB

Got it working. It works great and I love it.
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

mightygoose

here comes abit of feedback from me, having downloaded the beta....

the first image shows the crazy nature of the overides that i encountered trying to get SAM set 9 to end at a street intersection. it spreads seemingly randomly at least a city block in each direction at the junction. this is even after i destroy the starter piece. trying to redrag streets over them doesnt work for obvious reasons... in the end i had to destroy all affect streets until sections of four tiles or less auto reverted back to normal.

this image shows the various road intersections of SAM set 9, also two adjacent and opposing T junctions where the overrides stayed in place.... i thought this woul lead to reversion.

here you can see my first experiment with set 1. doubling back doesnt seem to cause an issue here or the adjacent t's? dont know if the RUL's have been done for these yet?? the street roundabout was necessary to prevent spreading as mentioned before.

in this carpark i had to leave the starter piece in place. it was the only way to maintain the doublebacks. as soon as it is demolished much of this are a reverts back to original streets.

and finally some good news. contrary to the readme it seems that LHD version installations have no problem with these two sets, cannot speak for the others as this is as far as i got before i CTD.... dont worry the crash had nothing to do with the sam, it was a scroll out...

now if only jeronij would get his streetside mod to work on the sets other than set1.

hope this helps...

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

jplumbley

@Mightygoose  Thankyou for your report. 

About the issue where the SAM Streets are "overtaking" the MAXIS Streets.  This is what they are designed to do.  I cannot prevent this unless I prevent SAM from working, this is one of the limitations of this technology.  You cannot have the "base set" (MAXIS Streets), intersecting with any of the SAM additions.  The only way to overcome this issue is by creating puzzle pieces that create the transition between SAM and MAXIS Streets.

Now, the double-back and the side by side Intersections, I have added to the RULs since the pre-BETA testing.  I have made these intersections stable and it now allows for these options.

It is good to know the LHD version works.  I have not had a chance to test with this and noone I had testing had LHD installed either.  I put that clause in because I was not sure and I didnt have the time to investigate.

As Jeronij, has shown his mod can be adapted to the SAM networks.  I will be looking at it shortly to see what can happen.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

mightygoose

ok but the double back issue was very much still present in the parking set.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Starmanw402007

jplumbley, I really love those new streets, what I did with my streets is this. I destroyed my original city Steven's Point. and then I rebuilt from scratch again. Only this time. I had added those new SAM Streets to my city. I'll give full updates when my city of Steven's Point has all its rewards back in MD ok.

Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

flexxmatthews

Just wanted to stop playing for a moment and say thanks for all the help you gave to resolve my red arrow issue. :thumbsup: This is truly an awesome  mod and it adds even more depth to the game. Kudos to all who are overseeing this very necessary project. &apls ;D

Crissa

Hey, has anyone made a tree-centered avenue or road?  That'd be a good one that we see out here alot...

-Crissa

Jonathan

That's not really on topic, Crissa, but it would be possibl using Type 21 exmplars, which the reader is needed for.

yoshiisland2

Great job you guys!  Good work! ;) &apls

Crissa

Well, I was asking before I start making a green-centered street texture.  I was going to do it very similar to the one-way GLR pieces... Figured it'd be an easy start, assuming someone hadn't done it yet.

If SAM streets always overtake MAXIS streets, wouldn't it be easier to make SAM streets out of the base Maxis ones?  Or are puzzle-piece intersections to break up the flow better?  Trying to think which one seems more logical from a user pov... I have no idea which is better for your coding ^-^;

-Crissa

Diggis

Crissa, I'm not sure what you are asking with regard to making SAM textures out of Maxis ones.  What we have done is made a whole range of streets to replace the maxis ones when the puzzel pieces were put down.  We didn't intend to replace the Maxis Street, but add extra stuff.  Unfortunately one side effect is that the Maxis streets will not intersect with the SAM streets, however we are looking at the possibility of adding intersections of the others textures in the set in the long run. 

However, people kept asking for the ability to Mix Maxis and SAM streets, and the only way to do that is with puzzel pieces.

Dexter

This is a great modd, The way Maxis should have made it from the start.

Just a quick question -

Could this override technology be used in the furture to create differing textures for roads, avenues, highways, and rail .etc? So like for example, brick avenues or concrete rail. I may be able to make some textures up if it is.

EDIT: The dirt road textures that were created on ST around 4 years ago that replaced the streets don't appear to be included as an option in this mod? Are they planned to be added in the furture?
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

Diggis

yes this technology is able to be used like that.  I think the goal is to get to that stage eventually, which is exciting.  If you are willing and able to texture, I'm sure your help could be used.  But first we need to finish SAM.

At present there are 4 or 5 more textures to finish for the SAM Beta V2, one of which is Peg's dirt roads.  I need to extract and work on the textures for this to happen, along with some more work on the RUL's.  Unfortunatly this isn't a fast process, if you look at the start of this thread, you will see how long we have been at this to get where we are.

Filasimo

also keep in mind that the SAM is expandable up to 16 sets so anything is possible given that there are textures provided for consideration to delve deeper into the rabbit hole.
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

dragonshardz

just think- SAM and SAM2: 32 different skins for the streets.  :thumbsup:

of course, not even the most fanatical modder would want to do 3000+ lines of coding.  /wrrd%&