• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmymac

Here's another little teaser pic for the beta.I hadn't seen anyone else attempt this so I decided to attempt something and see if it would work, and it most certainly did.

First I drew in a single SAM street, the red brick street between an avenue and OWR. The I drew the black asphalt SAM street to connect with the red brick street. Everything worked fine, except that the 2 asphalt tiles that connected to the red brick street turned red brick. You can see the example in the picture below.

So you can indeed mix and match the SAM streets together, this mod is simply amazing.

Starmanw402007

that'll be cool.. cause I can rebuild all my Streets of Steven's Point lol And Keep Up the Great Work, love those updates!

Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston!
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston

jplumbley

Quote from: jimmymac on September 11, 2007, 05:17:54 AM
Here's another little teaser pic for the beta.I hadn't seen anyone else attempt this so I decided to attempt something and see if it would work, and it most certainly did.

First I drew in a single SAM street, the red brick street between an avenue and OWR. The I drew the black asphalt SAM street to connect with the red brick street. Everything worked fine, except that the 2 asphalt tiles that connected to the red brick street turned red brick. You can see the example in the picture below.

So you can indeed mix and match the SAM streets together, this mod is simply amazing.

This is something cool that happens when crossing SAM Texture Sets.  I wish I could make it stable enough for them to work together and create something like the Road to Street connection... But I cannot do this, the textures when drawing them revert to the Vanilla textures and then overrides them with the new SAM texture upto 3 tiles or so away from the end of your drag.

I may, be able to make something that will mimic the Road to Street for SAM to SAM straight connections.  But the way I would be forced to do this is have back to back Street to Road straight pieces and the conversion texture would be 2 tiles long.  It should be possible, but it would be a tricky thing to get the hang of at first.

Also, the inter-SAM intersections.  Again these will be diffcult to RUL, I have already made a similar override using the Lakeyboy Slip Lanes.  The inter-SAM intersections will be very similar, and hopefully I can keep the stability with them.  The main difference between the two RUL sets is that SAM will have the same network as a base where as Lakeyboy's Slip Lanes are an intersection between 2 Avenues and a One Way Road.  We will see what happens, this stuff will not be ready for BETA v1... I am still working on some of the stability issues and the Avenue intersections.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

pvarcoe

Excellent looking mod jplumbley.

I am really looking forward to it.

I have immediate uses for it in Teton, so I can't wait.

And thanks for your work, much appreciated!

jplumbley

@JosefBrisko  I havent forgotten to extract the Roundabout pieces... yet.  But I havent had a chance too.  Above is the texture I used for the SAM/AVE 4 way intersection for your mod.  I hope that it is upto specifications :)  I think it looks fine!

I will get those Roundabouts for you as soon as I can!

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

thundercrack83

Great test work, jimmymac! I love how the two textures go in to each other! I can't wait to see more testing!

Madeira aka Constantina

wow big progress in your project.  :)

Tarkus

I've managed to take a few screenies from my test.  I have been going crazy replacing the Maxis streets with SAM streets the past few days, and I'd have to say, from my tests thus far, the mod seems to be very reliable in most circumstances.

The one main issue I ran into was with certain instances with stubs, 90-degree bends and intersections being placed adjacent to one another in various combinations.

Also, an interesting little thing I've discovered with my various starting piece experiments.  If the false intersection initiating the override remains in place, it greatly increases stability, even over shorter stretches.

Here's the starter piece.

After bulldozing, the "shell" (the intended override textures) disappear, leaving this displaced diagonal Road.  (For those that don't know, this is what creates the "false intersection", initiating the override).

Here's the override being initiated with the "false intersection" still in place.  (You can still see the Road stub below the highlighted SAM texture).

In addition, I still want to adjust the starter pieces to solve the issue Tage (RippleJet) ran into with the rotations.

And jimmymac, that's a great find there! :thumbsup:  Further proof of how useful the DrawPaths cheat is.  I know it's saved me a few times.  I'll see if I can find the piece and repair the path file on it.  From the looks of it, there's a path number that's off somewhere (that causes the paths to not show up in DrawPaths).

Excellent work as always, Jason, and thanks to everyone testing.

-Alex (Tarkus)

jplumbley

Now that is a nifty trick there Alex!!  I didnt know that would work, but now that I think of it, it should work just fine as you have shown it did.

As for the Stability issues.  I knew they were there and I actually had time on Sunday to work on a few things.  I showed that I got some of the AVE/SAM intersections working, but I dont have all the textures done yet.  There AVE/SAM intersections for teh Cobblestone, Herringbone, Asphalt and Brick Streets will all be ready.  If I have time to send Diggis the Gravel one, that one will be ready aswell.  But what I didnt show was that I have worked on the stability issues as well.  I have now added the stability for the 90 turn beside intersections, end pieces and 90 turns, so now you may double back, make S-turns, etc with the 90 Turns holding the stability of the SAM textures.  That one T-intersection beside T-intersection is probably the only common setup for something like that, I will have to add the stability for that one... its a quickie.

Alex, it would be GREATLY appreciated, if you could get those Starter Pieces fixed up for Friday or Saturday.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

bat

Wonderful pictures of your tests, jimmymac and Tarkus! :thumbsup:

Starmanw402007

I agree with everyone here, those photos are great. Looking forward to using the new streets in Steven's Point.
Keep Up The Great Work!

Your Friend;
Your Friend;

thundercrack83

It looks like your testing is going quite smoothly, Alex! Great job!

Gaston

Okay gang, I was just wandering around looking at new forums that I haven't seen yet and stumbled into a seriously kool one.   I thought ya'll might wanna take a look at it so here is the link.   [ linkie ]  It is the RRP (Rural Renewal Project).    Yup another 3 word acronym.    :D

I was thinking that the textures being used would be very kool as SAM textures as well.   I know we had said that there most likely not be any more but, these are really sweet my friends.     Check it out.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

jplumbley

@Gaston  To be totally honest with you, I have stated that there is potential of 16 SAM Texture sets.   I have set aside 10 texture sets (6 of which will be used in SAM BETA v1) that are known for use right now, leaving 6 future additions.  I have seen this earlier today and have considered this.  I have not contacted the creator as of this point but if you would like to point him here that would be cool too.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Gaston

I will be most happy to provide the RRP folks with a link to the SAM folks.    I guess I am just a man on the streets today.   LOL

Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

iamgoingtoeatyou

this is very exciting, excellent job everyone! :thumbsup:

JosefBrisko135

Quote from: jplumbley on September 11, 2007, 12:50:14 PM

@JosefBrisko  I havent forgotten to extract the Roundabout pieces... yet.  But I havent had a chance too.  Above is the texture I used for the SAM/AVE 4 way intersection for your mod.  I hope that it is upto specifications :)  I think it looks fine!

I will get those Roundabouts for you as soon as I can!
I want to add a red brick cross walk across the pedistrian crossing where they intersect, I can do that with my photoshop and repost it and could you use it?
Thanks.
Your signature was TOO BIG and TOO BULKY ... System ADMIN

jplumbley

@Josefbrisko  I can repost the texture.  To be honest, the reason I did not use the Red Brick crosswalk was because this is for the Avenue piece.  In my imediate area Streets that cross Avenues dont get Stoplights let alone crosswalks.  Only streets that would be classified as a "Road" would get this honor.  My intention later is to add stop signs for the Streets but have the Avenue take precedence over the Street.

What are your thoughts on this? Maybe this is something we can get general user input on.  Would the Avenue/SAM intersections be better with:

Stoplight and Crosswalk

OR

Stopsigns only on the Streets and through traffic on the Avenue with no crosswalks.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

figui

i think this intersections should NOT include stoplights..
in montevideo (where i live) most street/ave intersections only have stop signals, only roads of more hierarchy do have stoplights at intersections
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________