• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplumbley

&apls Interesting find Jimmy!!!

From what I can see is that is happening with a One Way Road connection.  It looks like it is breaking the Path for some reason...  But why?  It is holding the original Street Texture as it should... What if you were to make a normal Street connection, it should work fine.  I dont get that... its a simple RUL override and the paths should line up as they are the same Path files as the vanilla streets.  Maybe, I will have to put off the release until the OWR intersections are done or if we figure out why this is messing up.

Thank you, Jimmy.  BTW have you experienced this issue with AVE Intersections?  If not can you please test this out for me.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

jimmymac

I'll go back in and have a look at avenue intersections now. Will also draw in a normal street and just check that it is running ok too, I'll make sure to get pics of both.

Olasz

it would be great if someone could post on this issue with the drawpaths cheat on. I could imagine the owr paths in the intersection reversed for some reason

jplumbley

That is a very good thought Olasz.  I did not think of it, would you happen to know how to make sure it is drawing properly?  &sly

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

jimmymac

OK, this issue seems to run much deeper than the SAM and anything else, it seems tied into the NAM itself.

I ran the same area over and over again with varying things removed. Firstly I pulled my SFBT street tree mod, no avail the same thing was happening, next I pulled out the SAM and the new NAM controller file that came with the SAM beta. I then replaced that with the controller from the last NAM release (which i had backed up before beta testing) and it was still there. I then pulled out my dirt streets mod to see if that was conflicting and finally I ran a drawpaths and got this as the outcome:

To me this looks perfectly normal. However I don't really know much about pathing. As you can see from the above image the street mod and the SAM are both off in that picture.

Now comes the interesting part of it all. Next i pulled the entire NAM from loading and the issue went away completely.

jplumbley

Well, I am please to hear that it is not SAM's fault for one.

Now, let's dig deeper!!  From this view, the paths seem fines....  Can you take a closer zoom with lesss traffic in the area with the draw paths on?  Also, it would be good if you gave us a picture with just the Zones, no buildings.  The issue seems to be that the paths are not connecting at the begining of that tile.  But the Paths are there...??  Anyone have an idea?  The paths arent backwards, they are there, its from the original NAM.  But it works in Vanilla SC.

Also, I need to know, does this issue happen with a Street only intersecting one side of an Avenue?
Something kinda like this ---->    || ||--
The reason I ask is it is essentially the same setup a one way tile with a street T-intersection.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

jimmymac

OK, with regard to the avenue here is a picture that will answer that, they seem to work just fine.

Will quickly jump in game now and grab a picture at closer zoom for you

Olasz

Quote from: jimmymac on September 10, 2007, 01:05:13 PM
OK, this issue seems to run much deeper than the SAM and anything else, it seems tied into the NAM itself.
Now comes the interesting part of it all. Next i pulled the entire NAM from loading and the issue went away completely.

If I had the privilege I would you give you a karma of "being an accurate tester"

jplumbley

Sorry, Jimmy....

I had one other thought.  Can you tell me if there is ANY traffic using the OWR after that intersection a few months after the intersection was created (you will have to sim for a couple months for the Pathfinding engine to update).  I see cars (a bunch of cars) this generally means that traffic is using the road, but if there is no connection how can the cars be using the road?

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Olasz

UDI being a good proof of the pudding  :D

jimmymac

When i offered to do the testing i intended to give a thorough check over, I just wish it hadn't turned up something like this.

Here are the 2 zoomed in shots of the pathing.

The top end of the street connecting with the Avenue

The bottom end where it connects to the now infamous OWR, complete with deleted building so you can see the zone.

As for the use of the OWR it continued on as normal, but the building finally abandoned, reportedly due to commute time. It should be noted that at no time during the zot showing did the building actually say anything in the query about having no road connection.

Andreas

Hmm, that makes me wonder what happens if you put a regular street in the place where you tried the SAM. Does it work properly then?

EDIT: Wow, that was a pretty "impressive" 500th posting, eh? ;)
Andreas

jimmymac

The last picture was using the vanilla streets, I've currently uninstalled the SAM in an attempt to rule out what is causing the issue. I just tested the Nov 2004 NAM with it and the issue still existed then. ()what() I'm confused now

EDIT: Sorted. After lots of checking and discussing with jplumbley over MSN this came to light. There seems to be a pathing issue with the NAM OWR onramp, you can see it in the picture below, indicated by the arrow.

That piece has no pathing at all. Once I delated the on-ramp, relaid the OWR over that area and relaid the onramp everything worked fine. It seems to be an issue with just that one onramp piece as you can see another piece in that picture that also has no paths just below it to the right.

JosefBrisko135

Quote from: jplumbley on September 10, 2007, 08:54:27 AM
Already done Josef...  It is comprised of a crosswalk and the straight piece with the AVE overlaid.  What I have said before is all I need is the Base 5 pieces:

Josefbrisko - What would be REALLY, REALLY helpful! Would be a template for the Roundabouts and the Corner Roundabout thing.  Roundabouts will require 4 textures that I can think of offhand:

Roundabout Quarter Circle
Roundabout/Road Intersection
Roundabout/OWR Intersection
Roundabout/Street Intersection (this will be the texture for what ever SAM set it is)
Can I get the base textures for those listed and I can put my texture on them.
Did you do them with my brick cross walk?! =) Hope ya did cos it would look bad ass!
Your signature was TOO BIG and TOO BULKY ... System ADMIN

jplumbley

Quote from: JosefBrisko135 on September 10, 2007, 04:46:17 PM
Can I get the base textures for those listed and I can put my texture on them.
Did you do them with my brick cross walk?! =) Hope ya did cos it would look bad ass!

I did my very best to use your original textures.  Unfortunatly I am on the wrong computer and cannot post a picture of the actual texture ATM.  Maybe later.  I havent updated the ALPHA texture for your texture base with the AVE intersection.  I choose to leave that for the moment as I was exhausted of textures after 3 hours and decided to go into something more interesting (to me) the RUL coding....

Man I am wierd aint I?  Liking RULing better than texturing....  I guess I just get a kick out of making things work..

Street Addon Mod - SAM

flame1396

Quote from: jplumbley on September 10, 2007, 05:19:22 PM

Man I am wierd aint I?  Liking RULing better than texturing....  I guess I just get a kick out of making things work..

Not weird... useful.
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

jgehrts

Kudos to the testers... you're doing some phenomenal work.  The folks who are just going to use the finish product (such as myself!) are all quite appreciative, I'm sure.   ;D

figui

first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

Andreas

@jimmymac: Thanks for the extensive research on this - I'm sure one of the transit modding guys can look into the issue. :)

@jplumbley: So that means I can dump some of my workload on you, hoping that you can do it ten times faster than me? ;)
Andreas

jplumbley

Quote from: Andreas on September 11, 2007, 12:52:30 AM
@jplumbley: So that means I can dump some of my workload on you, hoping that you can do it ten times faster than me? ;)

Hehe, and what workload might that be?...

Street Addon Mod - SAM