• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggis

Did you run the cleanitol before or after running the installation?  Because you are supposed to use it first to remove old installations and then install the latest version.

Jon010

oh...so the cleanitol was for old installations?...whoops...

Diggis

Umm, yeah, there are 2 uses for cleanitol, checking for dependencies or removing old files.  It's generally not advised to removed files after you have installed something.

z

Users of the SAM may be interested in the latest beta release of Simulator Z, which increases the capacity of streets relative to roads without increasing their traffic.  You can find a full description of this release, plus the download itself, in this post.

Strategist01

Hmm, sounds interesting to download but I'm having problems with the NAM and CAM in my cities, so I switched to simulator A with better pathfinding and 5x capacity...Everything is very delicate :-\

xxdita

Everything is very delicate. And especially when you're testing, or trying out a new mod as radical as CAM, it can be even more difficult learning to deal with a new traffic simulator as well. There are just too many variables to deal with at once.
So my best advice for anyone is to take on one challenge at a time. The more experienced you become, the better you'll know the needs for your particular playing style.
Though I don't quite see what SAM has to do with any specific traffic simulator. Aside from the chance at a shameless plug?  $%Grinno$%

Strategist01

No, no shameless plug here. And it was related to Z's post about the new beta Z simulator, which I won't be using as I'm using the A simulator.

z

Quote from: xxdita on January 02, 2010, 06:02:19 AM
Though I don't quite see what SAM has to do with any specific traffic simulator. Aside from the chance at a shameless plug?  $%Grinno$%

The reason I made mention of that version of Simulator Z here, and nowhere else outside of my development thread, is that the higher capacities of streets in that version seemed to be particularly helpful for SAM users.  I thought I was simply doing a service by mentioning this briefly, but apparently I was wrong, and there will be no such future announcements.

Strategist01

Oh it was helpfull, excuse my negative comments, but I really don't wanna fiddle with the NAm. I've had to re-install it today. Again...

mcdoof

Maybe I'm being daft, but I can't find it mentioned anywhere else on the forums.

I use the asphalt streets (they just look much more realistic IMO), and I also use the no palm trees mod, however in areas of §§§, I still get palm trees lining the streets.

Is the SAM not compatible with these mods, or have I buggered something up somewhere along the lines?  ()what()

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Diggis

McDoof,  the trees etc aren't part of the SAM, they are part of Jeronij's streetside mod I think.  I'm not sure what the no palms mod did, but I think it only removed ones planted with the god mode controller. 

Ennedi

Jan (Swamper77) made the "No Palms Mod" available here at the LEX. I guess this is the mod you are talking about. It has a separate file for removing palms in $$$ areas.

It is said in the LEX Details:

QuoteThe "No $$$ Palms" mods remove the palm trees from your streets and roads. You will have to rebuild your streets and roads for the changes to take effect.

Maybe this is your case?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

mcdoof

Thanks for the quick feedback guys.

Diggis - it's the swamper mod that I am using.

Ennedi - I've never had a problem with the mod before. It works when I lat down roads, one way roads and maxis default streets, it is only when I use SAM streets that the mod has no effect.  I would assume that the mod is not compatible with the SAM, but thought I'd get your guys opinon before I satisfied that assumption.

If it is incompatible, I'll be a little disappointed, but I'm sure I'll live.

Diggis

Can I just restate that the trees etc on the SAM streets are not part of the SAM. 

You have downloaded a streetside mod for SAM, I think either Jeronij or Andreas made one (possibly both of them did).  You'll need to tell us which one you are using so we can look into it.

Ennedi

Diggis is right. This is not a SAM compatibility issue.

You can also try one of these mods:

CP Palm To Aspen, or
CP Palm To Lodgepole (Lodgepole trees are taller than aspens)

Use only one at a time, and remove SW77 mod before installing them. These mods should work in every case. If they will not, please inform us.

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Andreas

Another option would be to use the SFBT Tree Replacement Mod, which replaces all Maxis trees with Cycledogg trees (the palms will change to a maple). The SFBT is also working on a SAM compatible version of the SFBT Street Tree Mod.
Andreas

mcdoof

Thanks guys - I only had the SW77 mod, but I have removed that and downloaded the mod that andreas suggested. Everything looks great now.  ()stsfd()

Once again thanks.  ;D

Jack_wilds

Hello SAM folks, Jack wilds here...

Concerning SAM

...umm -not wanting to appear impatient or anything -as its a standing rule of sorts that its done when its done, but is there any SAM news-progress  ()what() and will there be a SAM v4  ()what()

... as I like the variety SAM options provide... I am also wondering about 'SAM intersections' that can remove maxis need for stop lights at all road and road/street intersections -especially odd showing up in small town/rural applications... making for intersection variety that SAM streets give...

Otherwise, this is a shout out from the frozen tundra northwoods,

Jack

Tarkus

Jack, to answer your question, from a conversation I had with Jason (jplumbley) a few months ago, it sounded like he felt like there wasn't much need for a Version 4, at least for the foreseeable future.  David (dedgren) had some ideas for a possible Version 4 as well, but he's been inactive as well lately, so the project is more or less on hiatus/done at the moment.

When Jason was still considering doing a Version 4, he had asked me to create some additional SAM Starter Pieces for use with future expansion sets.  Those starter pieces are in place--there's six of them--so if someone were to create a complete set of suitable textures that met the mod's specifications, it would not be too difficult to add. 

I've also made a few minor stability improvements to the SAM RULs, that should be included in the next NAM Controller update, which, as per usual, has no release date.

-Alex

Diggis

There was very little more to do on the sets we have done.  I think there were a few diagonal pieces missing, which were easy enough to work around.  In addition the GLR crossing was missing, which is something that I would like to see added.

What is really missing is additional textures.  There is a file on the LEX, under my name, which helps the average user create a new texture set.  Many people made starts, but no one was able/willing to push on unfortunately. At some point I may pick up where I was with those and finish some of them off, but until then there isn't likely to be a new SAM.