• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

supercity: Did you check the date from the post you just quoted? It's from July of 2007. You've been told about stuff like this before, but please refrain from digging up old stuff like this and then making demands with it. If you're that interested in the pole, send the person who made it a PM and ask them about it, and if you can do something on your own with it.

sim-al2

just to point out FOR THE LAST TIME, it's nearly impossible to get what you want. If it were even possible, the T21s would be so numerous and complex nobody would do it. Just wait for the plopable poles at 3RR.
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

gn_leugim

Hi there.. I don't know if this was already asked before, sorry, but I hadn't time to search, but I was wondering this thing:  ::)

is it possible to assign new paths to the new textures created with SAM right? I mean, my texture (just for instance, it's not like this)  could be wider or thinner, or its curves be different, and so need a different path from the usual..  &Thk/(

I also read that you are wondering in putting ped mals as part of SAM (which would be great) (once again stating that we can change the paths widely)  "$Deal"$

so I wonder, if it is not possible to make one way streets with SAM?   &idea

Patricius Maximus

Well, I was thinking about making some power poles modelled after the one near my house. This gives me a little incentive.

But as I know nothing about T21 exemplars, it'll be ploppable. Ploppable poles will give you greater control of the location of the poles.

Hmm.. I think I'll start a thread about it soon.

sim-al2

oh uh... This could end badly.

(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

Tarkus

At j-dub's suggestion, I've moved some of the recent posts to a new topic, Powerline Discussion.

-Alex (Tarkus)

gn_leugim

Quote from: gn_leugim on September 27, 2008, 09:04:00 AM
Hi there.. I don't know if this was already asked before, sorry, but I hadn't time to search, but I was wondering this thing:  ::)

is it possible to assign new paths to the new textures created with SAM right? I mean, my texture (just for instance, it's not like this)  could be wider or thinner, or its curves be different, and so need a different path from the usual..  &Thk/(

I also read that you are wondering in putting ped mals as part of SAM (which would be great) (once again stating that we can change the paths widely)  "$Deal"$

so I wonder, if it is not possible to make one way streets with SAM?   &idea
hello? ^^ :P

Diggis

I think the answer is yes, although I don't know how to do it sorry.

Tarkus

It is possible, though it would greatly complicate the process of making the set functional.  It would particularly complicate any intersections between different SAM sets, should those ever be made. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

gn_leugim

un1

Bumping this thread...

Sometime ago, somebody said to deathtopumpkins, will the Road Textures ever be SAM like? So today me and DTP got the idea to do it. The only thing is, is it okay to do it? Do we have permission to edit the NAM .dats since we aren't NAM Team members?

Thanks,
-un1

nerdly_dood

I wold like to see something like this, but keep in mind that it will be excessively difficult to integrate such a road addon-mod so that it is compatible with the SAM (although you could make the street intersections nonspecific so they could work with any of the SAM streets - I'll show a picture of that if requested)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

j-dub

I can't answer if it is okay, but heres the situation futhering Nerdly_Dood. A SAM for the other networks,would be great, but one of the major issues now is RULs. There is a problem of taking another network's RULs, causing to loose an additional network, if it is done without that prior knowledge. What you are asking is kind of what is going on in the works with some NWM road based networks. I guess before this gets started, the question is range of RUL's availble.

Tarkus

un1, that's a good question.  jplumbley and I have talked about the possibility of doing something like that for some time, as it is a rather nice idea, but we eventually came to the conclusion that it was unfeasible.  This is mainly due to how frequently the Road network gets used--it'd be very difficult to keep the overrides apart from each other and stable.  

In addition, you'd run into issues with the NWM, which, apart from the Wider One-Ways, all the networks (TLAs, MAVEs, AVE-2/6) are all Road-based.  The NWM in and of itself is actually kind of a "Road Addon Mod".

As far as modifications the NAM .dats, it's perfectly fine to mess around with them on your own.  It's how all transit modders get their start. ;)  

But in any situation in which you're modifying any RUL files (which you'd have to for something like that--3 of them, in fact) and you plan to distribute your work publicly, you'd need to submit the RULs to the NAM Team so they could be included in the next NAM Controller build.  Otherwise, there will be serious, serious issues with file compatibility, which would have disastrous community-wide effects.  Having gone through the infamous NAM/RHW incompatibility issue  a couple years ago, back before I took over the RHW project, I speak from experience. ::)

-Alex (Tarkus)

deathtopumpkins

Here is my original post we were editing before un1 made this one, as it elaborates on the idea:

QuoteIn regards to the SCRT's Transit Retexturing Project, someone the other day expressed desire for seperate texture sets for roads, which evolved into specific brainstorming about making a SAM for roads. The specific textures possibly to be included at this point are:

• Touched up Maxis road textures (or original Maxis road textures if the TRP roads are released as a default-replacement)
  • Concrete road textures
  • A Canadian set of road textures
  • and possibly some others, such as river rock, cobblestone, brick, etc., differing from the similar SAM textures in that these would be slightly wider and have the double yellow lines characteristic of roads.

Current members signed on: DTP and un1. I would contribute textures and help with some of the modding, and un1 would do the bulk of the modding (he has modding experience and says he knows how to create puzzle pieces and do RULs, etc.) and a few textures.

I am here on behalf of both of us to ask the NAM team's endorsement on this project, and also permission, as un1 informs me that this would entail modifying some of the NAM files, including the controller file. I am also asking that anyone wishing to help with this undertaking please step forward and volunteer.

Lastly, this is not a very high priority project for us, as that would be the aforementioned TRP, and if there prove to be too many difficulties associated, please let us know before we go too far!

Alex: So essentially this is impossible to keep compatible with the NWM? If that is true, and there is absolutely NO way to get around it, then I guess this project would be futile...

Thanks for the answers.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Tarkus

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on October 20, 2008, 05:54:20 PM
So essentially this is impossible to keep compatible with the NWM? If that is true, and there is absolutely NO way to get around it, then I guess this project would be futile...

It's not impossible, but it could potentially prove very difficult--the intersections, mainly, since they have to interact with other Road-based Override Networks (which isn't the case with the SAM).  That's part of the reason the NWM has taken so long to put together, aside from jplumbley and I being heavily involved in other projects. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Tarkus on October 20, 2008, 06:35:24 PM
It's not impossible, but it could potentially prove very difficult--the intersections, mainly, since they have to interact with other Road-based Override Networks (which isn't the case with the SAM).  That's part of the reason the NWM has taken so long to put together, aside from jplumbley and I being heavily involved in other projects. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

Hmmm... so it would have to be able to intersect all the NWM networks... That would be quite an undertaking... If it's still possible we might attempt it then, but possibly not support NWM intersections at first, just have a warning that intersecting a NWM network with an overridden road with cause conversion to only one network, at least until we could sort that out, which wouldn't really be a problem for most people as the NWM won't be out for a little while.
Does that make sense, and if so, would it be possible?
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

jplumbley

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on October 20, 2008, 06:44:10 PM
Hmmm... so it would have to be able to intersect all the NWM networks... That would be quite an undertaking... If it's still possible we might attempt it then, but possibly not support NWM intersections at first, just have a warning that intersecting a NWM network with an overridden road with cause conversion to only one network, at least until we could sort that out, which wouldn't really be a problem for most people as the NWM won't be out for a little while.
Does that make sense, and if so, would it be possible?

It would probably take you as long to make the "Road"AM as it would for us to get some sort of Alpha Released... Maybe even longer...  NWM may not be as far away as you might think it is.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

XiahouDun

Quote from: jplumbley on October 20, 2008, 07:31:36 PM
"Road"AM
ROAM maybe?

Sadly I don't have much to add to the current conversation as I don't have nearly the knowledge on the situation as others obviously do, but I did want to praise everyone involved in the project(s) for all their amazing work and dedication :thumbsup:
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

Diggis

As much as I hate raining on peoples parades I can see millions of problems with a road mod.  Firstly is that the SAM works because it's easy to isolate an area of them with roads so that you can change between the different textures. If you check one of your cities you will probably find that all the roads in your city are connected in some way.  Which would mean having to add in bottle necks or something to break them up.

The second is the sheer amount of work to do.  It takes me 2 hours just to package a single DAT file of textures for SAM, thats after I have made them all in Photoshop.  And there are far less street options that there are with roads.  This would be a huge undertaking and I would talk to one of the guys who worked on the Euro Mod and see how long it took them to do the 1 set.

Thirdly, you would have to RUL for each of the SAM intersections too, effectivly forcing 7 or 8 (at the moments) extra textures for EACH Street intesection.  Just more work.

Good luck if you go ahead with this, but I see it full of pitfalls.   &mmm