• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SAM - Street Addon Mod

Started by jplumbley, June 25, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

The point of it is because its there and it makes use of something that had no (graphical) use before, I use for variety and just filling in gaps where it is not possible with the SAM

Meastro444

the reason i think the cars turn into a parking lot is because that one tile is pathed like an X intersection i think you can have entire single tile networks like that.
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

RebaLynnTS

All you are really seeing, as far as I can tell, is cars making uturns.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Starmanw402007

J_dub, just remove that road and rebuild. That will close up the exit.  :)
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

soulstealer

Love this MOD it's simply genius!

On future releases would it be easy for someone who knows about texturing to add new roads of his own? I'm thinking of dirty concrete paved roads without sidewalks and only tire markings to fit in seaports, airports and industrial areas. But really the possibilities are endless and instead of you having to do all the work people will be able to texture and make their own and even release it on LEX.

kassarc16

I've been thinking of attempting to throw together some T21s for the Parking Lot variation, and was wondering: Can T21s for the SAM variations be exclusively used for only one texture, or will all be affected? jeronij's side street mod works great for regular streets, but not the parking lots, and I thought I might give it a whirl since the T21 tutorial seems pretty strait forward.

Andreas

All SAM texture variations have different IDs, so you can create a set of T21's for just one texture variation without any problems. :)
Andreas

kassarc16

Good to know, now if only I could get everything to play nice with Swamper's tutorial....

sffc

Hello,

What do you have to do to submit texture sets to the SAM?  I am a texture-maker and I am interested in making a set of dashed-street textures for the SAM.  My personal specialty in SC4 development happens to be traffic textures.  Here is a complete prototype about what the texture set may look like:

Again, this is a complete prototype just to show you what I was thinking of.  This "sample image" took me about two minutes to create, and I will start over and make a set with the correct proportions if textures like this are wanted in the SAM.

I do not know much about pathing, but this shouldn't be an issue as the streets I am hoping to make will use the same paths as the vanilla streets, so one can just copy over the same path file.

Also, what ID should I export the textures to?  I can use the SC4Tool to find the last few letters so they correspond with the correct type of intersection.

Thank you for your consideration.

Andreas

I think there are still some texture slots available for the SAM (jplumbley drafted the project with a total of 16 different textures in mind), so go ahead and create a new set, if you want. There is a very strict ID scheme that needs to be followed, this is necessary to adapt the SAM RULs to a new set without too much unnecessary work. But before creating a texture DAT with the proper IDs, you will have to create all textures that are required for one set (about 50 textures for each of the four wealth levels, plus about 50 alpha maps).
Andreas

jplumbley

Quote from: sffc on March 13, 2008, 08:49:09 PM
Also, what ID should I export the textures to?  I can use the SC4Tool to find the last few letters so they correspond with the correct type of intersection.

I have no problem with including extra texture sets.  As Andreas pointed out, I have designed this so that there is an intended maximum of 16 sets of textures because of the way the IID structure is set up to make things easier.  Just a warning though, it may take a bit of time for the textures to make it into SAM due to the other things I have been owrking on.  I currently have 1 and a half sets that are proposed to go into the SAM, one from Hableurg and one from the SFBT.  A couple other ideas have also popped up as well, which will be investigated at a later time, such as draggable Ped Paths.

SAM v3 is the priority at the moment and we are currently almost doubling the size of the texture DATs with the new work.  I cannot tell you what right now, it will be a surprise.  The earliest time for a new texture set will be SAM v4, so keep that in mind, and take your time.

My suggestion when making the original set, is that you create the 5 main base textures first and then post them here.  That way we can have a bit of feedback on them before they are expanded.  The 5 main pieces are:

Straight
90 Turn
End Piece
T-Intersection
4way Intersection

From these 5 pieces we can make all the orthogonal textures.

As for the IIDs for the pieces.  I would prefer that you do not package the textures in a DAT file, I would prefer to do that one myself or have Diggis do it if he had the time.  What I need from you is the PNG files them selves.  On the texture, you are going to have to put a couple things.

Grass base... Each texture has 4 wealths, one with no grass, and 3 with a different grass base for each wealth.  I have posted a PSD (photoshop) file with the 3 grass bases on different layers in the TLA thread.  Sorry, no time for a link ATM.
Curb... At the edge of the Road Surface you are going to have to show a curb, there isnt one in the prototype you have shown.  I know it is a prototype but I dont know what your intentions are.
Road Surface...  Anything that would be considered the surface of the road must be on the texture.

There is one important thing when it comes to sidewalks now... do NOT put the sidewalk on the texture.  When you create the Road Surface overlay it onto the grass and save each wealth separately.  The sidewalk is applied by using an Alpha Texture in SC4Tool.  Alpha Textures are black and white (Black = sidewalk, White = texture).  Sidewalks are different, they are essentially a "base" texture for networks and the road surface is essentially an "overlay" texture.  Textures that have the sidewalk in the main texture are not compatible with Sidewalk mods such as Jeronij's Street Side Mod.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

j-dub

Oh man, sffc, that would be an awesome addition with the yellow striped lines down the streets. @soulstealer, bet your dirty concrete would be a great addtion as well. 

soulstealer

I'll try and submit the basic png's they will be full tile wide since I don't them to have sidewalks nor grass. Only some faded markings with tire markings on a dirty cracked concrete.

I also want to make one example of a connecting piece used to connect the street to the black road(s) where the black texture of the road dissolves into the concrete street instead of the clean cut you get today.

Is that ok?

Starmanw402007

Not a problem Jp, I always Love Surprises, Just anxious for the next release of SAM V3. Patiently!! Keep Up The Great Work!!

P.S. I just noticed I've been promoted to Mayor! It's Official LOL, I'm a mayor of SC4 Dovotation and Steven's Point! :D $%Grinno$%.
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

Pat

Are my spiddey senses tingling here with the thought of some new textures???  Sweet and I do hope that Sffc and Soulstealer yours could be worked with and Im awaiting to see how this turns out....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Diggis

Sorry, I've just seen this.  Been away.  I planning on making a tutorial for people who wish to make SAM sets.  It will cover the IID's and Alpha maps for each set.  It will also contain a set of base textures for you to use to create new ones.  As Jason said it will be a while before he can add a new set in I would suggest waiting for this as it will make life much easier.

Additionally as these are kept in seperate dat files it's easy to set these to replace an existing set by removing the set you want to replace and use the same IID's.  I'll cover this in my tutorial as it will allow more flexiibility in the creation of the sets.

jplumbley

For those who are wanting to learn how to Transit Texture... I have made a basic tutorial to read before you get too deep into it.  Follow this link:

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4140.msg129985;topicseen#msg129985
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Palpatine001

Thanks for that J

Might have a crack at creating some now  :P :thumbsup:
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother

penguin007

I know this has probably been asked a hundred times but does SAM work with left hand drive sim city or not. The first one didn't but Im not sure about this one

Thanks

Will